• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimizing my PC for SETI need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gruvin2

Short and sweet, what can i do to my Rig to make it run faster to Crunch those WU's? As well as what really makes a difference Mem timings/Ghz/FSB?.........I'm about to get my XP1900 up and running for SETI as well so want to be sure what is best for each platform Intel/AMD.

On another note, whats going to happen after Phase I? I noticed we are catching up to the current date fast. What is this new deal and how will it work? In laymans, or a link will suffice i suppose.

Seti has always liked a cpu with strong fpu performance, but front side bus and low latency memory timings help quite a bit also. Your best bet is to find the overclock that lets you get the most from your cpu without compromising memory timings i.e. don't go for an overclock that forces you to slow your ram down to reach a faster cpu speed. Using the benchmark instructions on the team site will give you a concrete answer when comparing different overclocked combinations.

To answer your second question - the next phase of Seti is brings a new software suite to the table, along with some new projects. One of them is called Astropulse, and they're also going to be examining older data from the current program in better detail. You can do a search here for "boinc" and "astropulse" and get some good info. You can also look here for some other details from Berkeley:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/boinc_transition_plan.html

Also look here for more info:
http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/

I'm using the CLC version...used the wonderful walk-thru on how to. Thnaks for the fast replys. was a good read.

i got addicted to seti some how. Ive got a few nice rigs so far

comp in sig
athlon 2200+ @ 2700+ speeds (new letting it run few weeks before pushing it)
theres a p4 1.6ghz comp here but its so slow at doing the WU's :( i still might get it crunching lol :D

Ive been crunching for prolly about 3-4 years. but i used the screen saver on a 533mhz machine, so it took an average of 33hour for 1 wu. i have 77 units done @ a total of 2606 hours. Hopefully i will slowly work my average down to ~3 hours.

thats it im dead mums gonna kill me :( LOL

comp in sig crunching for about 14hours per day
p4 1.6ghz 24/7
athlon 2800+ 24/7
and my new motherboard comes tomorrow so a 600mhz duron at 1ghz will be 24/7 :eek:

I have my ol' XP1900 crunching as well. I'm still waiting to use my Rig in Sig till i get the Vapo PE. It just runs too darn hot. So for now i have my old setup handed down to my brother running SETI as well. Once all 3 are up ill be doing well. I also have a DLT3C XP1700 enroute and only need to grab a MB for it to be fully functional.

Quite the little Farm you've got going there my friend ;)

Looks like YOU got infected with the Seti Bug!
First the good news- it's a lot of fun.
Then the bad news-
You will watch your bank account dwindle
Your electric bill will grow
You may run out of flat surfaces in your home due to a proliferation of pc's.
Your hearing may suffer

But it's not all bad- at least there IS NO CURE!!!!!!

Muwaaahaahaaaaaaa!

BAHAHAHAHA The Seti Bug bites another. Yep...I'm addicted too:D

Refraining from setting up another....Ah what the heck..."SUBMIT"

well this morning i got my new motherboard ill go out today and buy some ram :) then after that i might buy a 2500+ to put in my rig (sig) and then put this 1700+ in the new board :)

:D I'm ordering a Shuttle AN35 Ultra for my DLT3C from NewEgg Saturday. I'm hopeing to have my 3.0c Running in the Vapo PE by the end of the weekend. Man I want to break 1k WU before Phase change. :D With all my PC's running my heating bill will go down a little :) It's nice and warm with them going 24/7

Last edited:
Back