• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overall system lag

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McCloud94

I've been noticing this lag and freezing, especially in Windows Explorer.. opening and navigating windows, opening and working in programs.

My system is technically not bad at all..

AMD Ryzen 7 at 3,8 Ghz (3.0 factory default)
16GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Intel NVMe 960 Evo M.2 SSD

Is there any way to identify where the problem could be ?

In Windows Task manager, everything seems to be fine.. it's been going on for last 2-3 weeks..

Could incorrect settings in the MB be causing this ? frequencies, voltages etc.

Maybe hard drive on its way(especially since in explorer)? I had same thing and then errors started showing up. It wasn't a system drive though.

I'd also guess a HDD failure as well. Get some SMART data off the drive and see if it is having problems.

No, click on the link I gave and follow the directions to create a bootable optical disk. Then reboot and tell the computer to boot from the optical drive.
ah, now I see.. I've overlooked the ISO download link before.. thanks.

So if I understand correctly, it's a BIOS update ?

Maybe hard drive on its way(especially since in explorer)? I had same thing and then errors started showing up. It wasn't a system drive though.
ye, that's what I thought would be the most likely cause.. sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds to open a specific folder.
With that beast of an SSD it should be way way faster.

I'd also guess a HDD failure as well. Get some SMART data off the drive and see if it is having problems.
I've run CrystalDiskInfo and chckdsk and no issues. Shows 100% good.

Very strange.

I've now also disabled indexing completely and run sfc... with no errors.

But turning off indexing helped with the times it took to open some folders I think.

So does it just hitch for a second or few when accessing drives? Thats pretty typical when opening explorer with a hdd that isnt in use/sleep. The hdd has to spin up etc...

Edit: its an ssd.... hmmm......

A drivers installed? Chipset, Intel ME...Intel RST... sata drivers or drivers for m.2 if its an m.2?

So does it just hitch for a second or few when accessing drives? Thats pretty typical when opening explorer with a hdd that isnt in use/sleep. The hdd has to spin up etc...

Edit: its an ssd.... hmmm......

A drivers installed? Chipset, Intel ME...Intel RST... sata drivers or drivers for m.2 if its an m.2?

yes, it's an m.2.

I'm gonna look into the chipset drivers.. that's a good suggestion.

Capture.PNG

ok, so I've done everything.. except the MEI, as the installer gave an error that the system is not compatible.
Didn't seem to help much though..

Also a side question..
I've got my RAM running at 2933.
When I set it to 3200, as it's the default value written on the RAM stick itself, the system fails to boot.

I've read somewhere that the MB is not able to support it.. but why is this ?
(I can provide details of my MB and RAM if needed)

Details of the MB and RAM would be required.

Are you manually changing it to that speed or using the profiles? Typically, if the BIOS is updated to the latest version and the RAM is on the QVL list, it should only take settings XMP/DOCP profile from the memory.

Details of the MB and RAM would be required.

Are you manually changing it to that speed or using the profiles? Typically, if the BIOS is updated to the latest version and the RAM is on the QVL list, it should only take settings XMP/DOCP profile from the memory.

MS B350 PC Mate

G-Skill Ripsaw, 2x8GB, 16-18-18-38 DD4-3200, 1.35V

There's a dropdown with all possible frequencies listed. Also, the XMP profile is selected.

So, did you use the XMP only or select the speed and XMP? (Select XMP only - it should do it automatically)

Those MSI boards have a memory try it section with lists of speeds/timings. Before changing mem speed I find it's always good on Ryzen to use F6 set defaults then reboot. Go to try it and set something close to your timings and see if it'll boot at 3200 then.

Those MSI boards have a memory try it section with lists of speeds/timings. Before changing mem speed I find it's always good on Ryzen to use F6 set defaults then reboot. Go to try it and set something close to your timings and see if it'll boot at 3200 then.

unfortunately it doesn't run..

Anyway, I thought it got a bit better, but after another couple hours on the PC I can confirm none of the adjustments helped the slightest bit.. I am clueless.

My first instinct would be something caused by a software update, but to rule this out use some linux live cd and see if you're having any problems there. If so, then it could be a hardware issue.

Back