• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a PII 2 x4 840

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

how can i push this cpu more? its currently 3.6ghz @ 1.35v idle and 1.336 underload

Untitled-16.png
running prime95 for more or less 1 hour with just a stock heatsink from a phenom ii x4 965(the one with the copper base)

28c idle and 49c underload with p95 blend test...

i am really curious about the speed of the fan reaching about 7k rpm (quite noisy, like a plane in the airport ready to take off)

You need to find out what >> TMPIN0 >> is reporting 'about'. If it is the VRMs then it surely seems could stand some cooling. If it is the NorthBridge, then it 'certainly' needs some cooling. IF it is the CPU temp then it is where some have shown to give a problem at just about 63c.

You need to find out what >> TMPIN0 >> is reporting 'about'. If it is the VRMs then it surely seems could stand some cooling. If it is the NorthBridge, then it 'certainly' needs some cooling. IF it is the CPU temp then it is where some have shown to give a problem at just about 63c.

i am really not sure what it is, but i think it's the NB and Southbridge... i really dont have enough experience with AMD.. :bang head

Looks like you have about 6c of room from a core temp standpoint to increase the CPU core voltage a little more which is one thing you need to go higher. The other voltage increase you need to make is to the CPUNB. It may be called just "NB" in your bios. Try putting it to 1.225-1.25, somewhere in that range.

You want to keep your core temp from exceeding about 55c or instability typically begins to set in. Core temps are the critical ones. Having said that, some motherboards have a throttle down or shut down temp technology in place which kicks in when you exceed the threshold set in bios. If it's there, it will usually be found in PC Health. It is usually adjustable and keys off the CPU temp, not the core temp. As has been said, either TMPIN0 or TMPIN1 will be your CPU temp, which is actually the CPU socket temp.

By the way, you can't expect a maximum overclock of 3.7-3.8 for that CPU, typically, even with high end air cooling so you are about there.

Looks like you have about 6c of room from a core temp standpoint to increase the CPU core voltage a little more which is one thing you need to go higher. The other voltage increase you need to make is to the CPUNB. It may be called just "NB" in your bios. Try putting it to 1.225-1.25, somewhere in that range.

You want to keep your core temp from exceeding about 55c or instability typically begins to set in. Core temps are the critical ones. Having said that, some motherboards have a throttle down or shut down temp technology in place which kicks in when you exceed the threshold set in bios. If it's there, it will usually be found in PC Health. It is usually adjustable and keys off the CPU temp, not the core temp. As has been said, either TMPIN0 or TMPIN1 will be your CPU temp, which is actually the CPU socket temp.

By the way, you can't expect a maximum overclock of 3.7-3.8 for that CPU, typically, even with high end air cooling so you are about there.

thanks for that man, i'll come back with the results

Sorry, I meant to say, "You can expect a maximum overclock of 3.7-3.8 . . ." , not "can't".

Sorry, I meant to say, "You can expect a maximum overclock of 3.7-3.8 . . ." , not "can't".

that's ok man. btw i've set it to 3.84ghz(240FSB) 1.365v, NB @ x10 1.245v after 10 minutes of prime one of the core failed but the other 3 are still running... i only got a maximum of 49c

12.png

One core dropping out like that means you need a little more vcore. Also, what's your CPUNB voltage set to?

And please include pics of CPU-z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD" so we can check your current ram frequency and timings against the manufacturer's recommendations (the "SPD" tab)

i've set it now on 1.37 on the cpu voltage (1.395 on bios) and 1.245v on CPUNB.
14.png

btw, after 20 mins of prime95 blend, it suddenly rebooted.. weird..

Last edited:
Not weird that it rebooted. That's one of the things that can happen when it's not stable.

Look at your current memory timings in the "Memory" tab of CPU-z. Compare them to what you see in the "SPD" tab. Your timings are definitely too aggressive. As you now have them they would be appropriate if you were running the ram at 1066 mhz (SPD JEDEC #2) instead of 1276.4 mhz. If I were you I would manually adjust your timings to what you see in JEDEC #4. I should explain that CPU-z reports your memory frequencies at half of what the DDR3 transfer rate is because it's actually reporting the memory bus frequency. So double all those frequency values. I would also bump your memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.525 or 1.55. That can help with stability.

Okay, its my bed time. Until later.

Not weird that it rebooted. That's one of the things that can happen when it's not stable.

Look at your current memory timings in the "Memory" tab of CPU-z. Compare them to what you see in the "SPD" tab. Your timings are definitely too aggressive. As you now have them they would be appropriate if you were running the ram at 1066 mhz (SPD JEDEC #2) instead of 1276.4 mhz. If I were you I would manually adjust your timings to what you see in JEDEC #4. I should explain that CPU-z reports your memory frequencies at half of what the DDR3 transfer rate is because it's actually reporting the memory bus frequency. So double all those frequency values. I would also bump your memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.525 or 1.55. That can help with stability.

Okay, its my bed time. Until later.

thanks man!:salute:

Your motherboard has a low end chipset. You may be reaching the limits of what it's capable of. Looks like its only geared for 95W TDP and you are starting at that before overclocking anything.

Oh, okay. I was looking at the CPU support list for version 1.2 of that board instead of v. 1.3. I can't seem to find any info on v. 1.3 when I google it.

Just check the mosfet temp with your finger tip. If they are uncomfortably hot to the touch there is danger of frying them. They don't have heatsinks on this board I don't think unless that was upgraded for v. 1.3. Typically, lower end boards like that don't have sinks on the mosfets and they are the most vulnerable component on a motherboard.

Oh, okay. I was looking at the CPU support list for version 1.2 of that board instead of v. 1.3. I can't seem to find any info on v. 1.3 when I google it.

Just check the mosfet temp with your finger tip. If they are uncomfortably hot to the touch there is danger of frying them. They don't have heatsinks on this board I don't think unless that was upgraded for v. 1.3. Typically, lower end boards like that don't have sinks on the mosfets and they are the most vulnerable component on a motherboard.

i see. do you think i should just stay at 3.6ghz? they're quite cool @ that speed..

'trents' how in the world did you find any information about the motherboard using this copied from his signature? >> MSI GF61F p-33 << The MSI website reports No Results found using the exact model number he has pasted in his signature. No Results found when using his listed model number even in the Archive section of MSI.

I have to be loosing my search touch for sure. Or that is not a valid MSI board model number.

'trents' how in the world did you find any information about the motherboard using this copied from his signature? >> MSI GF61F p-33 << The MSI website reports No Results found using the exact model number he has pasted in his signature. No Results found when using his listed model number even in the Archive section of MSI.

I have to be loosing my search touch for sure. Or that is not a valid MSI board model number.

oh man, i am very sorry, i have mistyped my sig. it is really GF615M-p33 v1.3. changing it right away...

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/GF615M-P33v1-3.html

running prime for more than 3 hours now, it seems pretty stable @3.76ghz 1.360v.. reached 56c for about 10 secs but stayed for 50c and 51c most of the time..

15.png

I'd say you've done well with that motherboard but the temps are indicating you're at the wall.

Back