• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking an Abit AW9D i975X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foreverFLASH

Registered
Hey everyone!
I have a Core2Duo on this Abit AW9D 975X Intel Northbridge chipset motherboard,
and I'm currently overclocking everything as follows (this is a very simple overview):

Speeds
-External Clock = 380Mhz
(Estimated new CPU Clock: 2660Mhz, or 2.66Ghz)
-Multiplier = x7 (with very little options: can only go down to 6, or back to 7)
-N/B Strap CPU As... = PSB1333Mhz (other options are: 533, 800, 1066...)
-SDRAM Spec. (CPU:SDRAM ratio) = DDR2 667 (1:1) (other options are DDR2 400, 800, or 533)
(Estimated new DRAM clock: 380Mhz x2) 2gb Dual channel default DDR2 800 Ram

Voltages-CPU Core voltage = 1.3250v
-DDR2 voltage = 2.00v
MCH & PCI 1.5v Voltage = 1.5v
(These are the only 3 options I have to adjust in BIOS for volts,
the CPU values go up by values of .0250 each increment, and the
SDRAM values go up by .5 each increment)

Timings:
5-5-5-15 (this is what BIOS automatically detected, but the manufacturer of my RAM suggests
a default of 4-4-4-12, which I haven't set it to yet)

(the PSB is what worries me, because my board advertises only max "FSB" as 1066,
and I'm assuming this "PSB" is related to that, but the funny thing is I booted up fine, and tested with ORTHOS for 50 minutes
with no errors, & voltages are @ stock - they have not been adjusted yet...so I'm guessing everything is ok so far, and I don't need
to raise volts on vCore or DIMM, seeing as I didn't get any errors for at least an hour.) So, the main question I have is: Is it safe to run
this board out of manufacturer's spec. max FSB? (or maybe like I said the "PSB" is not even related, so I'm wrong...) Someone told me
recently that the way you calculate the FSB is by the # the external clock is @, so that would prove this theory of the PSB being
related to FSB to be false. Processor Side Bus?

If anyone has any advice, has used this board or the Phoenix Award BIOS (latest version from abit support v.16 w/ a lot of revisions),
and/or has used the Core2Duo e6300 (stock 1.86Ghz)...please, I'd greatly appreciate your help (and of course anyone else's help too,
even if you don't know this particular hardware.)I haven't stress tested for 24 hours yet, because I figured since I didn't get an error
yet from the short test, I should continue the overclock until I do...what do you guys think?
____________________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE
I've been able to get the External Clock to 405 (which automatically bumps the DDR2 speed up to 405Mhz x2
(on a DDR2 667 1:1 ratio), and the volts are the same as above (stock). I stress tested it w/ ORTHOS and it
passed testing for 20min, so I figured its ok (for now). The second I go any higher than 405 Ext. Clock, 2 things happen:

1] The PC boots, but the DMI Pool Data message, which appears just after the BIOS post test, will not "update";
normally during every boot up (after a setting change), this "DMI" message will say "update successful"
(Side Note: can someone explain what "DMI" stands for & what it's purpose is?)And

2] It begins loading into Windows, but once Windows opens, the O/S says:
"Windows encountered an error and needs to close...", then the PC reboots itself.

...Any thoughts as to what I need to change in order to stabilize it to the point where
I can at least stress test it in Windows? Please refer to my other thread regarding the details
of the options/settings available to me w/ the Abit AW9D/Phoenix AwardBIOS (latest revision from Abit V.16)

Last edited:
Are you increasing Cpu voltage? Set memory multiplier/divider manually. By the way what memory do you have?

The max fsb on your board relats to chipest not psb. It has to with stock cpu running.

Are you increasing Cpu voltage? Set memory multiplier/divider manually. By the way what memory do you have?

The max fsb on your board relats to chipest not psb. It has to with stock cpu running.
Well, I own a pair of 2 GB G.Skill DDR2 SDRAM 800 Dual channel RAM. My multiplier/Divider
is only adjustable from 6 to 7, that's it...(on this board/BIOS anyway - abit AW9D Max w/
phoenixAwardBIOS latest ver.) I did not increase CPU voltage because when I stress tested
in Windows for an 1/2 day, there were no errors. Though, I have tried several voltages up,
but did not notice any performance improvement, so I just put it back down.

Last edited:
Back