• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking E6400 on ASRock 4Core1600-GLAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgyDave

Registered
Hi all,

Have been reading up on OCing and thought I'd give my system a bit of a push, but haven't managed to find anything anywhere that matches my current set up.

I built the PC myself, and have above average IT skills, but OCing is very new to me so after consideration thought I'd ask the Pro's before I do something that fries my chip.

I used the search option, googled my pants off but didn't get what I needed.

I posted my unit info below and hopefully someone can offer some advice on OCing it as safely as possible. Please advise if the information below is not of use.

Hopefully someone is kind enough and has time to help me out.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Operating System

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Processor

2.13 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board

Board: ASRock 4Core1600-GLAN
Bus Clock: 267 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.40 04/02/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d

3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory - Mix and match stuff, sorry. I know this may make a difference.

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n H9MS803828, August 2009)

You are correct mixing memory is going to limit how far you can push the memory.

What heatsink do you have on the processor?

In addition, w/ 3 x 1GB RAM modules installed it's running in a single channel configuration instead of dual channel. You might want to either remove one of the sticks and install the remaining two in DDRII_1 and DDRII_3 DIMM sockets, or just purchase a 2 x 2GB set of identical RAM. Also post a direct link to your particular RAM, which includes deafult SPD timings and Vdimm. Post all of your available overclocking options in the BIOS, and their current settings (including voltages, timings, etc.) If your board came w/ software which displays the information, then post a pic. of it in this thread. Also post a pic. w/ CPU-Z open to the General, Memory, and SPD tabs. Also post a pic. w/ Real Temp or Core Temp open showing the VID of your chip. And download MemSet which shows all of the current DRAM sub-timings, and post a pic. of it also.

Edit: Looking through your MBs manual, you're very limited in the way of overclocking options. There doesn't even appear to be a Vcore (Core Voltage) option...

Code:
CPU Frequency (MHz)
PCIE Frequency (MHz)

Ratio Status: If "Unlocked", Ratio CMOS Setting becomes available.
Ratio CMOS Setting 

DRAM CAS# Latency
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay
DRAM RAS# Precharge
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge

DRAM Voltage
NB Core Voltage
VTT Voltage

Basically just start raising the FSB in small increments. The E6400 should hit around 2.9 - 3.0GHz on the default VID (FSB of around 360MHz on the default 8x multiplier), without the need to increase vNB or VTT. Although you can only change the four primary DRAM timings in the BIOS, using MemSet from within Windows you can change the sub-timings if need be. Just leave PCI-E Frequency locked at 100MHz or AUTO, and manually set the DRAM Voltage to the manufacturer's spec.

Last edited:
It really depends on what RAM you have. If you have DDR2 533/667 RAM, then I would go with what redduc900 suggested small increment on your current 267mhz FSB and then run OCCT auto 1 hour. But if you have DDR2 800 RAM, then I would start with 400x6, and then move to 400x7 finally 400x8 to achieve best performance. Some DDR2 667 RAM will run at 800mhz, but you may need to increase your DRAM to 1.9-2.1v to get it stable.

You are correct mixing memory is going to limit how far you can push the memory.

What heatsink do you have on the processor?

Had a butchered up stock Intel, which is whining like a jet engine. Forgot to order mine when the parts came :bang head

Picking up an Akasa AK-922 this morning, and may be able to invest in the new RAM too... dang baby arriving in a couple of days so may have to consider waiting on it though ;)

In addition, w/ 3 x 1GB RAM modules installed it's running in a single channel configuration instead of dual channel. You might want to either remove one of the sticks and install the remaining two in DDRII_1 and DDRII_3 DIMM sockets, or just purchase a 2 x 2GB set of identical RAM. Also post a direct link to your particular RAM, which includes deafult SPD timings and Vdimm. Post all of your available overclocking options in the BIOS, and their current settings (including voltages, timings, etc.) If your board came w/ software which displays the information, then post a pic. of it in this thread. Also post a pic. w/ CPU-Z open to the General, Memory, and SPD tabs. Also post a pic. w/ Real Temp or Core Temp open showing the VID of your chip. And download MemSet which shows all of the current DRAM sub-timings, and post a pic. of it also..

I have some more RAM in my spare and currently dead machine (May make another post about flashing bios later in the week, haha) which could then give 4 x 1gb. Would this be workable for the short term to give a bit of time to spread the pain of paying out more? I'd like to do it right, and not compromise.

Edit: Looking through your MBs manual, you're very limited in the way of overclocking options. There doesn't even appear to be a Vcore (Core Voltage) option...

Code:
CPU Frequency (MHz)
PCIE Frequency (MHz)

Ratio Status: If "Unlocked", Ratio CMOS Setting becomes available.
Ratio CMOS Setting 

DRAM CAS# Latency
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay
DRAM RAS# Precharge
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge

DRAM Voltage
NB Core Voltage
VTT Voltage

Basically just start raising the FSB in small increments. The E6400 should hit around 2.9 - 3.0GHz on the default VID (FSB of around 360MHz on the default 8x multiplier), without the need to increase vNB or VTT. Although you can only change the four primary DRAM timings in the BIOS, using MemSet from within Windows you can change the sub-timings if need be. Just leave PCI-E Frequency locked at 100MHz or AUTO, and manually set the DRAM Voltage to the manufacturer's spec.

Awesome, thank you :)

It really depends on what RAM you have. If you have DDR2 533/667 RAM, then I would go with what redduc900 suggested small increment on your current 267mhz FSB and then run OCCT auto 1 hour. But if you have DDR2 800 RAM, then I would start with 400x6, and then move to 400x7 finally 400x8 to achieve best performance. Some DDR2 667 RAM will run at 800mhz, but you may need to increase your DRAM to 1.9-2.1v to get it stable.

Ah, very cool thank you.

And my RAM is 667 >.<

Best reasonably priced type of RAM for OCing? Again knowledge is a bit limited. I know a lot of people favour Corsair.

And would DDR 3 be any better for my machine?

This DDR2 seemed reasonable - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 2.1V http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148816

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I'm very appreciative that you've been kind enough to donate your time and expertise!

Have a great day

Dave

Last edited:
Oh! Just did a check using the Crucial scanner and my RAM is DDR PC2-5300, just to confirm it is 667

Is there a 2:3 RAM divider option in your BIOS that allow you to run 266mhz FSB and 400mhz (800mhz effective) Ram? If there is, why don't you first try to increase your RAM voltage to 1.9-2.1v and see if it's stable at 800mhz 5-5-5-15. Post back result if you can get it stable. :D

You can buy faster PC1066 RAM, but I doubt your Asrock board will support 533mhz (1066mhz effective) DDR2 RAM, so it will be a waste of money. Besides, you already have 3gb of DDR2 667 RAM in your current system, so what I suggest you to get is another 1gb of DDR2 667 RAM to run at dual channel mode if you are tight on money. Otherwise, you can find a 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2 800 RAM with CL4 ram...

Is there a 2:3 RAM divider option in your BIOS that allow you to run 266mhz FSB and 400mhz (800mhz effective) Ram? If there is, why don't you first try to increase your RAM voltage to 1.9-2.1v and see if it's stable at 800mhz 5-5-5-15. Post back result if you can get it stable. :D

You can buy faster PC1066 RAM, but I doubt your Asrock board will support 533mhz (1066mhz effective) DDR2 RAM, so it will be a waste of money. Besides, you already have 3gb of DDR2 667 RAM in your current system, so what I suggest you to get is another 1gb of DDR2 667 RAM to run at dual channel mode if you are tight on money. Otherwise, you can find a 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2 800 RAM with CL4 ram...

Fantastic, thanks.

I got an Akasa Evo blue which I'll fit later or tomorrow and see how I get on.

Will see what other RAM I have, but can afford the 2 x 2 gb so may move up to the DDR2 800.

Making creme brulee, quite randomly, lol

Sorry qq,

Question... "and see if it's stable at 800mhz 5-5-5-15".

I have seen these numbers but don't really understand what they mean, sorry.

Going to fit the fan now, actually.

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 15

Hi guys,

Was my birthday this weekend, hence lack of follow up on my part.

Ok, I have the fan installed now and am about to order the RAM, can anyone kindly advise from the following which may be better?

1gb RAM Options

Apparently the mobo will only take 4 x 1gb, it can't handle 2gig sticks? I guess will teach me to buy the cheapest decent motherboard I could find, but hey.

Also when tweaking the processor, is there any formula for increasing the fsb?

Do you do it in increments of a set size, or can I just up it 5 points at a time til it's starts to become unstable or can I jump right up to higher numbers?

Therefore after 266, what should my next move be? 300?

Thanks again :)

Just pick any 1 stick of DDR2 800 RAM, it doesn't have to be low latency since it will be limited by your other RAM you have in your motherboard. There is no special formula on overclock and you need to at least try out what we suggested you above. Try them out and post back if you experience failures.

Just pick any 1 stick of DDR2 800 RAM, it doesn't have to be low latency since it will be limited by your other RAM you have in your motherboard. There is no special formula on overclock and you need to at least try out what we suggested you above. Try them out and post back if you experience failures.

So no need to get 4 x 1gb of this RAM? I thought I'd need to take the same where possible? Sorry for being dim :)

And thanks for the confirmation on the fsb. Will have a proper play tonight when I get back from work and see where I can get to :D

I think I'm being a bit thick here... I tried to up the fsb speed 5 at a time and after only 2 attempts the PC froze.

Am I missing something? Will it help to post up screens?

Ta.

Lower your RAM speed from 667 to 533 1:1 with the FSB and see if that solves the problem.

Lower your RAM speed from 667 to 533 1:1 with the FSB and see if that solves the problem.

Seems to only allow 667 or 800. Will wait and get some 800 RAM :)

Thanks again for all the help!

Back