• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKING i7, HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

berniphack

Hi everybody!, I just bought an i7 [email protected] and I'm evaluating motherboards and also the memory cards. I was wondering if any of you could give me an advise of what to buy from these selection to make the best combination for overclocking my processor and if you may, how to overclock it. I am king of new in this overclocking stuff, but I really hope you can help me!!!.

This is the list of motherboards and memory cards I can buy:

MOTHERBOARDS:
*MSI X58 PRO-E Socket 1366
*ECS X58B-A Socket 1366
*Gigabyte X58 Platinum Socket 1366
*MSI X58 Platinum Socket 1366
*Intel DX58SO Socket 1366
*Asus P6T X58 Socket 1366

MEMORY CARDS:
*SuperTalent Gaming 2.0 GB DDR-3 PC-1333
*Kingston DDR-3 2.0 GB PC-1333
*SuperTalent Gaming 2.0 GB DDR-3 PC-1600
*Kingston HyperX Gaming DDR-3 2.0Gb (1Gbx2) 1800Mhz

I will be running my computer with a GeForce 9800 GT 1Gb DDR3 and a Thermaltake 430Watt Powre source (I don't know if you need this information, it's just in case you reccomend I should change it :D).

Thank You very much for your help!!!

I cant help you with much, but I can say there is no way I would run an i7 overclocked with a 9800gt and that Power Supply.

Also i7 is triple channel so w/e ram sticks (not cards, LOL) will be x3.

From the list of boards I would only recommend the Asus P6T, the rest I agree with earthdog's comments, you should 1st get a better PSU before you buy anything else.

750W is overkill depending on his future needs.

A Corsiar 650TX would do just fine and allow him to go SLI with another 9800gt and most other cards on the market frankly if he chooses and still have ample headroom for transient repsonse as well as quiet operation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on the PSU Earthdog, but, what do you think about the motherboard and the memory?, I was really considering the MSI X58 Platinum as a friend told me it'd be a good one for the processor's OC, what do you say?

Of that list, I'd also go with the Asus P6T.

As far as the overclock goes, that depends more on the CPU you get than it does on the X58 board. Most boards will get you to the same general overclock. Hopefully the 920 you bought is a D0 stepping, as that will be easier to overclock higher.

Is 2GB of memory all you were planning on? That's a real waste considering that isn't a whole lot of RAM and that X58 uses tri-channel memory (3 sticks per channel). Look for an affordable 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 kit. That'll be the sweet spot for this system.

And yes, definitely get a better PSU before running this rig. I agree that 750W is overkill unless you plan on going dual-GPU with fairly high-end cards, so a quality 600-650W PSU should be fine.

Not to sure 750 is overkill. I'm running a q9550 at 4ghz and a lone gtx 260 on an enermax 625 W modu 92+ power supply. With all cores loaded (prime 95) and no gaming, the PSU is pushed up to near 80% loading.... It holds up well, but nonetheless, I'd like a little extra breathing room. With a i7 920, I'd most likely dump it and definitely go for the a 750 W quality PSU

Not to sure 750 is overkill. I'm running a q9550 at 4ghz and a lone gtx 260 on an enermax 625 W modu 92+ power supply. With all cores loaded (prime 95) and no gaming, the PSU is pushed up to near 80% loading.... It holds up well, but nonetheless, I'd like a little extra breathing room. With a i7 920, I'd most likely dump it and definitely go for the a 750 W quality PSU

Not sure of Enermax's quality, but that does not sound right at all. Where do you get the 80% figure?

With all cores loaded (prime 95) and no gaming, the PSU is pushed up to near 80% loading....

Not sure of Enermax's quality, but that does not sound right at all. Where do you get the 80% figure?

You'd need to fully load both the CPU and the GPU to get over 80% consumption on your PSU. Possible... definitely, but it shouldn't be happening with just Prime 95 running.

As for the OP... Personally, the Asus is the only board on that list that I would buy for myself. As far as RAM goes, buy at least a 3x1 Triple channel kit. 3x2 would be prefered, and will last you longer. Definitely look for low timings.

You'd need to fully load both the CPU and the GPU to get over 80% consumption on your PSU. Possible... definitely, but it shouldn't be happening with just Prime 95 running.

As for the OP... Personally, the Asus is the only board on that list that I would buy for myself. As far as RAM goes, buy at least a 3x1 Triple channel kit. 3x2 would be prefered, and will last you longer. Definitely look for low timings.

Thanx, but why do you say I should look forlow timings on the memory sticks?

Yeah that seems awfully high. ~480W just from P95?? Even as a from-the-wall measurement I find that hard to believe, heck even if he was running Furmark simultaneously I'd find it hard to believe.

Yeah that seems awfully high. ~480W just from P95?? Even as a from-the-wall measurement I find that hard to believe, heck even if he was running Furmark simultaneously I'd find it hard to believe.

I wouldn't even expect my system to hit 500W at max load.

Thanx, but why do you say I should look forlow timings on the memory sticks?

Recommended timings are usually a 'fairly' good indicator as to how good the sticks are. Speed is secondary to tight timings in my book. Go to Newegg and compare some DDR3 memory. Pull up either 3x1 gb kits or 3x2 gb kits, at any particular speed (say 1600mhz), you'll notice: as the timings go down the price goes up. 1600mhz @ CL7=good, 1600mhz @ CL9=crap.
If you're going to be overclocking your i7, I would recommend at least 1600mhz RAM

Edit: However I would take 1333mhz @ CL6 over 1600mhz @ CL9 anyday

Back