• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Intel Core i7 4960X processor (Ivy Bridge) Extreme Edition and Qua

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rocky Marciano

Dear ladies and gentlemen , I tell you that I am on a website I read that the Italian INTEL Core i7 4960X ( IVY BRIDGE) Extreme Edition has an unlocked multiplier up to 63x and supporting specific bands of BCLK ( 125MHz and 166MHz , 100MHz more than ) for those overclockers looking to get the most out of their chips .
My question now is: " It would be theoretically possible to set via the UEFI BIOS Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME to run the CPU INTEL i7 4960X (Ivy Bridge) Extreme Edition at a rate of speed 63x125MHz BCLK = 7875MHz with a CPU cooler 6 Pipe 6mm Dual fans as the Akasa Venom Voodoo AK- CC4008HP01 ? " As for memory modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL I had read on a website that the motherboard of ' ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME supports up to 2400MHz overclocking without changing the main bus . However, tests have been made with the ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME when editing the main bus you could also use the modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL that exceeded the clock frequency of 3400MHz . My question about the RAM is as follows: " If in the future I decide I want to use the memory modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL who have , for example, a frequency of 2800MHz (changing the main bus ) would work equally well if the processor i7 4960X supports up to a frequency of 2400MHz RAM ? " RAM modules that I will use for my future personal computer are as follows: " RAM DDR3 G.Skill RipjawsZ F3- 2400C11Q2 - 64GZM 2400MHz 64GB ( 8x8GB ) 11-13-13-31- 2N 1.65V . " The motherboard , processor and CPU cooler will be the ones that I have named in this message. With pleasure I'll wait your news thanking you in advance .

greetings

Rocky Marciano

Its not possible. I mean, in theory it is, but, its not actually possible.

Rocky, you have a lot, and I mean A LOT to learn friend. You have come to the right place though. :)

Yes. As well as being a real boxer.
Had a little chuckle, thanks ED!

Rocky, even if the Cpu will do 5+ ghz, unless it's some golden Cpu you need to add volts and remove the heat. It is near impossible to get a chip to run extreme overclocks on ambient cooling.

Dear ladies and gentlemen , I tell you that I am on a website I read that the Italian INTEL Core i7 4960X ( IVY BRIDGE) Extreme Edition has an unlocked multiplier up to 63x and supporting specific bands of BCLK ( 125MHz and 166MHz , 100MHz more than ) for those overclockers looking to get the most out of their chips .
My question now is: " It would be theoretically possible to set via the UEFI BIOS Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME to run the CPU INTEL i7 4960X (Ivy Bridge) Extreme Edition at a rate of speed 63x125MHz BCLK = 7875MHz with a CPU cooler 6 Pipe 6mm Dual fans as the Akasa Venom Voodoo AK- CC4008HP01 ? " As for memory modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL I had read on a website that the motherboard of ' ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME supports up to 2400MHz overclocking without changing the main bus . However, tests have been made with the ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME when editing the main bus you could also use the modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL that exceeded the clock frequency of 3400MHz . My question about the RAM is as follows: " If in the future I decide I want to use the memory modules DDR3 RAM QUAD CHANNEL who have , for example, a frequency of 2800MHz (changing the main bus ) would work equally well if the processor i7 4960X supports up to a frequency of 2400MHz RAM ? " RAM modules that I will use for my future personal computer are as follows: " RAM DDR3 G.Skill RipjawsZ F3- 2400C11Q2 - 64GZM 2400MHz 64GB ( 8x8GB ) 11-13-13-31- 2N 1.65V . " The motherboard , processor and CPU cooler will be the ones that I have named in this message. With pleasure I'll wait your news thanking you in advance .

greetings

Rocky Marciano

Welcome to the forum, Rocky.

I really had a hard time following what you were saying and exactly what it was that you wanted to know. I think it would be helpful simply to make a bullet list of your system hardware with specs and then ask one or two simple, concisely worded questions. As it is, your sentences and thoughts kind of ran together such that I couldn't separate one idea from the other.

Yeah but it's an Italian 4960X ED come on you should know they are made in factories where the trees outside grow ice cream cones and there's rainbows with pots of gold! :clap: :chair: :escape:

You guys haven't heard yet about the new Special "Ferrari" Edition 4960X?? I believe the IHS on this chip has a custom red paint job.

Those website you read are bogus. From my previous experience, Air cooled Noctua NH-D14 I can only get 4.6Ghz with 2 38mm thick 5500rpm Delta fan to cool my 3930K and keep it cooled. I can run 4.7-4.8Ghz but the temp is going to 83C+ with just light loads.

Back