• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking issues PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red Banshee

Registered
HI, I have a problem overclocking my FX-8350 to 4.8 ghz, I followed the guide on ASUS's website and it boots and runs fine until it gets load and it completely freezes. Any suggestions? Ideas? I have the voltage at 1.5 like it says, heres my build http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FHV

Perhaps raise the voltage? Not all chips are the same. So what a guide says your chip may need more, or less. ;)

Red Banshee, Welcome to the Forum. My first thought is how you went about getting to 4.8 and 1.5 Cpu V. I don't know about the guide you read but I find slowly overclocking .5 on the multiplier makes things a lot easier. I would set everything back to default, read the guide we have in the AMD Cpu section. Then post screen shots of the following under Prime95 Blend load at stock so we have a base of where you're at temperature wise. CPU-Z tabs Cpu, Spd and memory as well as Hwmonitor.

4.8 on an H100 ..... I would think heat issues especially with that high of a VCore @ 1.5v. Downlaod a copy of HWMonitor and have it running while you have prime running in the background then after about 20 min come post a screen capture of HWMonitor. Or like Mandrake said lets start from the beginning.

4.8 on an H100 ..... I would think heat issues especially with that high of a VCore @ 1.5v. Downlaod a copy of HWMonitor and have it running while you have prime running in the background then after about 20 min come post a screen capture of HWMonitor. Or like Mandrake said lets start from the beginning.

I probably agree about 99.9% with the quote above. Most of us that help in here and run the big numbers with stability using FX-8350 cpus are on real water cooling loops. Most custom made to handle the heat of 8 cores overclocked. I just don't remember anyone with an H-100 that was stable beyond about 4.6Ghz because about 4.5Ghz and up there is a pretty hefty increase in vcore needed and again at about 4.7Ghz. The Vcore needed as the cpu speed increases raise the temps and a H-100 has not had success since the fall of 2011 when the Bulldozer 8 cores came out.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I expect this is the ROG link about overclocking CHV-z, the OP is referring to.

LINKY >> http://rog.asus.com/216552013/cross...g-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/

Guide: Overclocking FX-8350 To 4.8GHz On Crosshair V Formula-Z

Plenty of: Oh my you mean your cpu will not overclock like mine? >> "As ever, overclocking is never guaranteed. Your mileage will vary depending on the components, such as level of cooling, quality of power and memory and environment (humidity and ambient temperature etc) and of course, the CPU you use as despite having the same FX-8350 name, not all silicon is made equal."

In addition the P95 test was run in small FFT mode which is not the hottest since it is not using the CPU_NB the same as it would in real use.

When I get home I will post all the screenshots of those programs, I run my 8350 at 4.6 with surprisingly low temps. I dont do extreme CPU stressing programs so I doubt I will have too much of a heat problem, but then again im still a noob at this.

We tend to stress test or OC's here very stringently so when we do use the CPU to the MAX it will not fail my 4.9GHZ was tested to 12 hours with prime and 5GHZ was stopped at 3 hours. Me personally I do allot of HD Video encoding where I might have my CPU Pinned at 100% for 8 to 12 hours, I don't want that to fail near the end of an OC so the extra stress test is worth the peace of mind the stability is there when I( do my work.

runs fine until it gets load and it completely freezes.

I dont do extreme CPU stressing programs so I doubt I will have too much of a heat problem

You don't stress to determine if the system can hold up but your first post says system completely freezes under a load. That is why we load our systems with a stressing application and see if they hold up worth a shett or not.

As "bassnut" says he has loaded his system for many hours at at least 4.9Ghz and I Prime 95 Blended my own CHV and FX-8350 at 5.2Ghz for 2 hours and just stopped it since temps had not changed nor the Vcore. So when I load my system at 4.8Ghz for video editting, I neither expect nor get any issues.

Heres the pics

Heres all the pics you guys requested, thanks again for the help

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 78
  • MEM.PNG
    MEM.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 80
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 84
  • HWM.PNG
    HWM.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
TMPIN2 could be a problem. I had a similar issue in my FX8350 rig. Remounting the CPU heat sink fixed it. It now stays below 50 HWM.PNG

How about a list of current hardware please. PSU voltages are suspiciously low. Yes, I know that software sucks for checking voltage but, it makes me want to at least look at it with a DMM.

Red Banshee
Please put a signature in so we don't have to look back at your 1st post to know whats in the system.

Having a link we have to scroll back to everytime we want to see what is in your rig, does us no good. We are usually helping more then one person at a time and it gets confusing who has what in their rig. That is why we ask out of curtsey, to put up a signature such as I have at the bottom of my post.

As far as the TMPIN2 Temp reading is nothing to worry about it's probably just an erroneous reading. If one of your temps were that high I have to believe it would have either failed or shut down at this point. On one of my other Asus boards I get the same reading and it's just erroneous.

What is the TMPIN2? How would it affect my overclocking? http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FHV

I have a gigabyte GA990FXA-UD5 mother board with my FX8350. As I understand, the TMPIN2 on that is for the Northbridge. After I'd remounted the HS, the TMPIN2 temp was always ~10 degrees higher than the cpu temp. So, that told me it's the CPU N/B.

I had a google for what your TMPIN2 could be for but the results are inconclusive. At a guess, it's probably CPU N/B. I can't be certain though.

EDIT: I realised I didn't answer your question.

CPU N/B works with your memory and IMC.
If in fact TMPIN2 is CPU N/B, it would be wise to check the voltage. It should be roughly around 1.1v Max safe voltage on air is around 1.2v, maybe a little more.

Last edited:
Back