• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with the MSI 890FXA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madweazl

Last night I was able to get a little bit of time to play with some settings to actually work on getting a stable 4ghz overclock. Before calling it a night, I was up to 1.37v on the CPU but crashed after about 11 minutes under OCCT (267x15). I had one failure on core 1 with the next step under in regards to voltage and a failure on core 2 at 1.37. Probably wont mess with it again until the weekend but it looks promissing for getting a stable 4ghz thus far. Max temp was 49.2c in OCCT. I'll throw some more voltage at it and then move on to the memory. CPU-NB is at 1.15v and RAM is at 1.5.

Systems specs as it sits:

Cooler Master 840
MSI 890FXA GD70 (1.7 bios)
X6 1075t with a CoolerMaster 212+
G.Skill Eco 4x2gb
EVGA GTX 470 with a Zalman VF3000 (huge decrease in temps!)
A-Data S599 (3.4.6 firmware cleared up my issues)
3tb WD Caviar Green
Antec TPQ-850 PS

I just ordered a Gigabyte 6950; the temptation to unlock to 6970 and run Crossfire was just to much to pass up. For the near future, I'll be grabbing 2 more WD Caviars to run RAID 5 along with all the watercooling components (EK for as many of the components as I can find with the mobo being a limitation right now). A larger PS will be required if I go 12v on the pumps but I'm not sure where I'm going with that just yet.

Hi.

What are the RAM's specs? As you are using the FSB for overclock your CPU, you need keep in mind that you also are changing the DRAM frequency, NB frequency and HT frequency.

Try to keep the HT and NB frequency the closest possible to 2000MHz for now with "Auto" voltage.

You also need disable "Turbo core", "C1E", "Cool'n'Quite" and "Spread spectrum".

Bump the CPU-NB up to 1.2. Please install and run CPU-z and upload pics of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory", and "SPD".

Back