• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating on desktop but stays cool in games? Confused.. 8700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScrubyMcBubble

Registered
So my PC never runs high temperatures in demanding video games (new black ops 4, pubg, etc) and yet on occasion when i initially boot up the PC it will run insane temperatures on desktop up to thermal throttle (100 C) with nothing running.. I have run small FFT Prime95 (No AVX) over 24 hours and never seen my temps peak this high so my only assumption is that windows system is running AVX hard on my PC to push these kind of temperatures. Sometime this situation can last upward of 5 minutes before the fans kick down and temperatures drop back into the 30's C.

Any ideas what can cause this?

My 8700k CPU is running default settings although i have a OC profile that i use in winter for 5Ghz that has been tested over 24hr stable (that never reaches temperatures near this lol)
Motherboard is "msi z370 krait gaming"

Any help would be appreciated. I have screenshots below.

Overheat1.png
overheat2.png
overclock3.png

Why is your voltage so high? Is it on auto? Is your system overclocked? More information is helpful. :)

What does system say (expand it/dig down) when it is showing ths behavior?

Can you update your signature with the new hardware?

Voltage would be on auto, i have everything on default settings currently.

I'll have to catch it doing this again to get more info (usually one or twice a week it occurs). The system tab doesnt have the arrow to expand so you're wanting me to go to the details on it i assume?

I'll update my sig shortly but for now here is the build:

CPU: 8700k w/ Corsair Hydro H100i AIO
Mobo: MSI z370 Krait Gaming
Ram: Team Dark Pro 2 x 8GB @3200Mhz
GPU: Geforce 1070
SSD: 2x (Raid0) Sandisk 480GB Sata III (6Gb)
Can't recall the PSU atm but it's a Gold rating corsair i believe..

When the temp is high, is the pump in the Corsair AIO running?

It sounds more like an air bubble in the AIO or a bad pump

looks like that high voltage on auto needs to be set to manual and avx offset set to 2 to me.

Back