• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bandolero

Registered
Hi guys. I cleaned my CPU fan and heatsink as I usually do and put it back. Suddenly, my computer started to missbehave. He works about 10 to 15 mins and then he just blacks out. I can still hear him working, all fans are spining, but there is no picture on the monitor and my keyboard and mouse are not responding. First thing that I did was removing the thermal pasta and putting a new one, but the problem is still present. He works about 10 to 15 mins and then stops responding, or if I open something that requires more performance, he also stops responding.:confused: What could be the problem ?
Configuration:
6GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3
Dual Core E6800 3.33 GHz
PSU 420W

Did you check on your temps with Realtemp (or something similar) and see if they are high when you load the CPU? You may have not seated the heatsink properly. It happens, even to the best. Check on your temps first thing. Load it up with Prime95 (or whatever) and check on your temps. If they are good, then move on.

I would also just open it back up and re-seat the RAM and video card as something may have become loose.

I 've checked my temp. Both CPU cores works on 36 to 40 C. Never higher. I did re-seating with RAM and GPU along with processor but nothing. I 've placed the heatsink correctly, at least I think so. I've checked on her couple of times. I' ve also started my PC with onboard graphic and with one slot of RAM, to see if there is a problem with that, but nothing changed. If its is about heatsink, how can I check if she's placed properly or not? I dont want to take my PC to service, that is the last thing that I want to do. They will just say to me that my motherboard or GPU are screwed and that I need to buy new, but I know that they are ok!

I've tried, but the moment I opened Prime PC shuts down, it seems that I only can go on web, if I do anything else, he shuts down. I've checked the legs that are holding the CPU fan together, two of them broked as I put them back in. So basicly the fan is holding only on two legs. Could that be the problem?

It could be if the rest are not seated firmly enough to make proper contact on the CPU's IHS. Do you use the stock cooler?

It could be if the rest are not seated firmly enough to make proper contact on the CPU's IHS. Do you use the stock cooler?

I have my suspisions on that. I will buy new one first thing in the morning and I hope that it will solve my problem. Yes, it is a stock cooler. But what if that isn't it? What if problem doesn't go away?

I've checked the legs that are holding the CPU fan together, two of them broked as I put them back in. So basicly the fan is holding only on two legs. Could that be the problem?
Get a new cooler. The one you are using is broken and is not putting enough pressure on the CPU IHS.

And if the processor overheats, I understand that he will do emergency shutdown? But my PC doesn't go off, I can still hear him working,the fans are spinning, but the picture on monitor goes off, and my keyboard and mouse are not responding. What kind of shutdown is that?

Get a new cooler. The one you are using is broken and is not putting enough pressure on the CPU IHS.

I will do that first thing tomorrow. But as for pressure, I did next. I replaced the broken legs with plastic screws, and I put them in the same level as the good legs, so that they put an equal pressure as legs. I was hoping that it will solve the problem, but it didn't. So I'm gonna buy new and hope that it will fix it.

Did you check the contact pattern when you removed the heatsink after it began to give problems. If you remove it carefully so as not to disturb the paste much you should be able to see if good contact was being made. Sure does sound like an overheating problem.

Maybe its going into a sleep state and not coming out? Does it do it when you are actively using the computer? Have you tried disabling hibernation/sleep?

Back