• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overscan issue? Any possible fix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

So, I haz TV :D Only problem is that I'm having a seriously hard time trying to get my computer to display the correct picture.

No matter what I'm playing on the TV it always overscans. Be it through VGA, ariel, HDMI or Scart.
So no matter what I play it will ALWAYS overscan.

Some pics of what I mean.

0000020n.jpg

0000021r.jpg

0000022s.jpg

0000023t.jpg

0000024j.jpg

0000026h.jpg

So! Any idea how I can fix this? I reckon it's about an inch extra on both height and width and evenly spaced on the top-bottom and left-right.

The menu doesn't have anything on hSize and vSize :(

TV is a Toshiba Regza 32WLT66, forgot to mention it above.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

what gpu you using?

in the nvidia control panel for linux there is a setting to correct over scan, there might be a similar setting in the windows control panel .

edit: oh you mean the tv does it all the time , is there a zoom or aspect ratio button on your remote? my dad always insists on having his on zoom 1 to remove black lines, and it really bugs me because it always cuts of soo much

Adjust the scaling through the nvidia control panel. I think its called 'flat panel scaling'

It's the same for all input devices not just when it's through my computer :(

I've been through all the aspect ratios that button offers but none of them remove this issue.
Is there an override thing for every Toshiba TV or something that allows you to manually set where the black lines kick in?

Thanks for the fast replies :D

I can't tell from the images, but do you have the issue with the LG or just the Toshiba? I have an LG (32LG7000 afaik) which seems to work fine. There ought to be a menu (see below) where either 16:9 or "Just Scan" does the trick.

(TV hooked up to an onboard GeForce 8300 on a machine running Gentoo)

Attachments

• DSCF0812.JPG
    DSCF0812.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 3,152
LG is fine, just with the tosh it doesn't work :(
There's nothing like that. The only thing it has is a button that flicks through the modes.

With HDMI attached the options are
Wide
Super Live 2 (just eliminates all black lines)
Cinema (just a silly mode, seems to blow the image up to astronomical proportions :p)
4:3 (which is just a small 4:3 box in the centre of the screen)
Super Live 1 (similar to Super Live 2 but only eliminates half the black lines)

All of these have problems and I can't get any image to perfectly fill up the TV.
Oh what a marvellous purchase :(

What resolution is the PC set to? Last I knew with that series was that it's a 1366x768 panel but only offers 1280x720 or 1920x1080 EDIDs, which could be a problem when trying to run a PC on one.

Check out http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Toshiba+TVs - you might be able to run native resolution over a VGA cable at 85hz.. Other than that, people have been fighting with that TV for something like 4 years, and I don't know that there's ever been a perfect solution.

Well it was displaying when the res was set to 1920x1080 so I have no idea :shrug:

For some reason, HDMI or VRA, it doesn't allow me to set certain resolutions (and yes the thingy is unchecked).
Even so ANY input creates this problem. Really annoying me :(
Oh and yeh I was running it over VGA at 85Hz.

Looks like I should have done more research into this TV before buying it...

TOSHIBA WLT66 OVERSCAN

Hello folks, I've been having problems with overscan from my HP Envy laptop to the Toshiba 32WLT66 television via HDMI, until today, so I hope this might help others with the same problem.

I had tried adjusting the different picture modes on the WLT66 - wide, super wide etc. and still had overscan on all viewing modes (the 42WLT66 being the only model with the 'Exact Scan' feature, which shows no overscan.)

I had gone back and forth through all the display settings on the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and in the Nvidia Control Panel on the laptop - literally everything, but to no avail, I still had overscan.

So I went back into the Intel HD control panel on the laptop and selected the resolution 1280x780 for the WLT66, which I had done before, but only this time did an option to customise the aspect ratio and two slider bars' appear where I could reduce the aspect ratio!

I reduced the vertical slider to 60 and the horizontal slider to 50 and low and behold everything fits perfectly on the WLT66 television screen now. The display when viewed under the 'Duplicate' setting lacks some resolution and the icons on the display are moved around to conform to the new ratio. However going back into the laptop's display settings and choosing the 'Display only on 2' instead of the 'Duplicate' setting I now have a full 1920x1080 resolution on the WLT66 with no overscan whatsoever.

If I choose to use the laptop's screen again as my main display I simply unplug the HDMI cable and the laptop's screen automatically goes to it's default 1920x1080 display. Easy Peasy.

I hope that this fix might benefit some of you here. Peace be with you.

Back