• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 1.6a stops wanting to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehlr

Registered
(originally posted in Intel Abit thread...)

I've been running an Abit BD7II-RAID and P4 1.6a @ 2.4 ghz since June with no problems. I have it wirewrapped and the core voltage is reported as about 1.69 V. Just a few days ago, I started getting lots of instability, and now most of the time XP won't even boot. If I run at 2.1 ghz, Prime95 crashes after a few iterations. Sometimes it's a bluescreen and sometimes it's a reboot. The only way I can get XP to boot and run Prime95 stable is running it at 1.6 ghz (well, maybe slightly higher but its not worth talking about). I tried increasing the VCore but that just made my CMOS lose my CPU settings. Lowering it didn't really help either.

I am using a generic 250W power supply. I've measured the voltage of the power supply straight from the MOLEX connectors with a DMM. When idle, my 5V rail is at 5.1V and my 12V is at around 11.9V. When running Prime95 at 2.1ghz (before it fails) my 5V is at 5.1V and very stable while my 12V rail is at about 11.75-11.8V. I can't measure my 3.3V rail directly but Hardware Monitor tells me it's about 3.18-3.20V. These all seem to be reasonable voltages..

My memory is 512 megs (2x256) of Corsair XMS3000. I recently upgraded from one 256 meg module. Thinking this might be the problem, I tried slowing down the memory, removing a module, moving slots etc, but that didn't help.

Other hardware I have a single 5400 rpm HD, a GeForce 2 which is non-overclocked, a Santa Cruz, and a NIC.

So, I would jump the gun and say it's the power supply, but my voltage readouts seem pretty good.

I tried upgrading to the latest BD7II BIOS but that didn't do much. Also I'm running a fresh install of XP.

I don't think it's temperature related because I reapplied the silver thermal grease on my retail HSF. Also, after I started having stability problems, I pulled my case off and have a panaflo blowing right on the heatsink, and it's cool to the touch yet not any more stable than with my case on.

I haven't added anything to my machine recently that would cause it to suck any more power, except 256 megs of memory, but like I said, I tried removing / moving around some of the memory and that didn't help.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated! Otherwise I might head over to Best Buy and get an Antec 330W TruePower to see if that fixes my problem. And hope they have a good return policy in case it doesn't!

Yeah, so I just bought an Antec TruePower 430W supply. Yes, I realise this is probably overkill for someone with a GF2 and a single 5400 RPM hard drive. My machine is now running at 2.4 ghz stable and I don't even have my CPU wirewrapped. Let me just say this, if there were a way to have sex with this power supply, I would. :)

Well... Cut out the fan grills... Just remove the fan before the sexual encounter!:eek: I know the fans blow pertty well, but it's just not worth the risk!

- did I just say that?:beer:

Can O' Beans said:
Well... Cut out the fan grills... Just remove the fan before the sexual encounter!:eek: I know the fans blow pertty well, but it's just not worth the risk!

- did I just say that?:beer:
How do you know that, from past experiences ;)

j/k dude :)

Good to see your system is running just as good now:D

Yeah, so I jumped the gun on my stability report. It ran Prime95 for over 2 hours, then my system bluescreened and rebooted. After that, It was back to the same instability problem. So, I'm going to return the Antec to BestBuy and just live with a slow 1.6 ghz system for a while, I guess. Once I get the money I'll probably upgrade to a 2.4 or 2.53 ghz and see where that gets me (I never learn).

diehlr said:
(originally posted in Intel Abit thread...)

I've been running an Abit BD7II-RAID and P4 1.6a @ 2.4 ghz since June with no problems. I have it wirewrapped and the core voltage is reported as about 1.69 V. Just a few days ago, I started getting lots of instability, and now most of the time XP won't even boot. If I run at 2.1 ghz, Prime95 crashes after a few iterations. Sometimes it's a bluescreen and sometimes it's a reboot. The only way I can get XP to boot and run Prime95 stable is running it at 1.6 ghz (well, maybe slightly higher but its not worth talking about). I tried increasing the VCore but that just made my CMOS lose my CPU settings. Lowering it didn't really help either.

I am using a generic 250W power supply. I've measured the voltage of the power supply straight from the MOLEX connectors with a DMM. When idle, my 5V rail is at 5.1V and my 12V is at around 11.9V. When running Prime95 at 2.1ghz (before it fails) my 5V is at 5.1V and very stable while my 12V rail is at about 11.75-11.8V. I can't measure my 3.3V rail directly but Hardware Monitor tells me it's about 3.18-3.20V. These all seem to be reasonable voltages..

My memory is 512 megs (2x256) of Corsair XMS3000. I recently upgraded from one 256 meg module. Thinking this might be the problem, I tried slowing down the memory, removing a module, moving slots etc, but that didn't help.

Other hardware I have a single 5400 rpm HD, a GeForce 2 which is non-overclocked, a Santa Cruz, and a NIC.

So, I would jump the gun and say it's the power supply, but my voltage readouts seem pretty good.

I tried upgrading to the latest BD7II BIOS but that didn't do much. Also I'm running a fresh install of XP.

I don't think it's temperature related because I reapplied the silver thermal grease on my retail HSF. Also, after I started having stability problems, I pulled my case off and have a panaflo blowing right on the heatsink, and it's cool to the touch yet not any more stable than with my case on.

I haven't added anything to my machine recently that would cause it to suck any more power, except 256 megs of memory, but like I said, I tried removing / moving around some of the memory and that didn't help.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated! Otherwise I might head over to Best Buy and get an Antec 330W TruePower to see if that fixes my problem. And hope they have a good return policy in case it doesn't!

This sounds like a power supply problem. Instability usually is a sign of it. A sub-300 watt PSU for an overclocked, volt modded system is asking for trouble. The Antec True 330 is a good idea. My money's on that.

In my follow-up, I reported that after installing an Antec TruePower 430W power supply, it ended up not fixing my stability problems. It may have improved stability slightly, but I believe the real source of my problem might be the chip itself unless it's my motherboard crapping out on me, which I somewhat doubt.

diehlr said:
In my follow-up, I reported that after installing an Antec TruePower 430W power supply, it ended up not fixing my stability problems. It may have improved stability slightly, but I believe the real source of my problem might be the chip itself unless it's my motherboard crapping out on me, which I somewhat doubt.

Northbridge cooling?

It might be the motherboard. I'm really surprised the PSU didn't fix the problem.

I've got a Panaflo aimed at the CPU + Northbridge region, and my case off and the stability is not much better than without such cooling. So, I don't think that's the problem either.

Back