• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.53 W/ P4p800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltersEgo

Registered
Hi All,

I recently purchased a P4P800 mobo. I was trying to take advantage of the jumperless overclocking feature on the board, and I have noticed that in selecting 10% overclock the system runs fine @2.8GHZ. When Using 20% the system won't boot @3.05GHz. When I manually configure the jumperless system, It won't boot til I bring it down to about 2.93GHz. At this speed, it's very unstable. So I brought it down to 2.9GHz and it seemed to run fine. I was wondering if it is possible to get the P4 2.53Ghz over 3.0GHz without it crashing in bootup. Is it possible that my PC2700 Ram isn't good enough for the overclock? Will getting Pc3200 RAM solve my problem?

Any help would be great.

/Dave

It is definitely better to overclock by choosing the settings manually rather than using the AI stuff. I used to have a 1.6a on my p4p800 that the AI could not figure out how to overclock by 30% even though I could easily run it at a 50% overclock. There is a thread loaded with info called 'p4p800 guide" over at ABXZone.com but the site is temporarily offline. There are a number of bios settings to consider that can make overclocking kind of tricky with this board. I am still trying to figure out how to maximize my 2.6c. Your pc2700 should be ok as long as you chose the right fsb:mem ratio for it. Since you are using a 533mhz fsb processor, the ratios are a little different then for a 800fsb proc. You can select "266mhz" (1:1) or "333mhz" (4:5). If your processor is running at default then "333mhz" will put your RAM at its default speed so as soon as you overclock your processor, you are overclocking your RAM. I would choose 266mhz while oc'ing until you have a good idea of what your proc and RAM can do on this board.

Cheers

Try increasing the CPU's core voltage a bit and see if that doesn't help. Try 1.65V or so. As long as the memory is set to the 1:1 mode (poorly labled '400MHz' or '266MHz' depending on the CPU installed in the P4P800 bios) you should well within your memory's lmits.

Ok, I have raised the Vcore voltage to 1.65v and I dropped the RAM clock to 266MHz. I raised the external clock to 158MHz and the CPU is running at 3.018GHz. The temperature is at a steady 29C/84F and CPU fan speed is at 1896RPM. It seems to be running smooth, I will run CCE SP and Lame. They seem to be apps that take up a lot of system resources. I'll let you know if those app run without crashing.

Thanks a Bunch

/Dave

Well, I think this is pry the best I'm gonna get from this processor. Any higher and it won't boot. Maybe you guys have more tips and tricks. I am buying new ram and a new processor on Tuesday. That's why I just bought this mobo. I used to have a P4PE. After reading these forums, I may end up getting the 2.4C instead of the 2.8C. Here are my results from todays experiments.

y0.jpg

Again, I would appreciate comments as I am very new at this. I love these forums. I've learned a bunch in the last 24hrs.

thx

Back