• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 550 @ 80c...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DustinE

Registered
I have an Intel D915PBLL, with a Pentium 4 550 (3.4Ghz) well I ordered the retail box for everything and am using the stock heatsink in a case that intel recommended to me, which was a thermaltake...

Anyways i boot the thing up and its running at 80c... anything i can do about this with out having to buy a heavy heatsink?

Also i dont plan to overclock it...

im guessing you mounted the heatsink wrong/have absolutely **** airflow... (check my sig for wiring pics, PM me for tips)...

can you get pics of your processor and how you mounted the heatsink?

Yeah. Even with the stock heatsink 80C is high. Remount your heatsink. I mounted mine wrong and was getting 60 idle.

after moutning it right with correct installation of thermal compound u shud get temps between 37-45 idle and 48-62 load depending on ur case/wiring/airflow/room temp..

good luck

Mud just want to redo that list thingy. So case/wiring/airflow/room temp/if you have pressy

Had the same exact problem, and for me reseating the HS and adding AS5 didnt help. I just went out and bough 7700Cu witch droped my temps to 40C idle. maybe it was me not seating the HS right, but no matter how tight or straight the stock thing was it still gave me crapy temps.

My load is around 60C, its possible that my comp is reporting false temps but for the most part they are pretty acurate to what i have expected. My idle on average is about 42-46C, which people who have the same set up as me are getting. I might have put too much of AS5,(not really sure how much i should have put), but trying to get that 7700Cu back on there is an absolute ***** since it took me 5 or 6 tries to screw it in place.

If theres a special way of putting these things on im open to sugestions.

Ok, I will remount the Heatsink, however Im sure I've got it on there correctly but you never know...

One question, if the thermal pad is messed up in any way do i need to replace it or anything?

Also, SolidxSnake, my wiring looks better than yours, i have an X-Connect PSU with 4 things plugged into it, a 20pin, 4pin (2x2), and two 1x4's... I have round cables, extra length of then was placed below teh DVD-RW drive out of the way, no hard drives are installed inside yet...

I can get some pictures if you like...

Last edited:
Well i cannot just go out an buy some AS5, i am in the middle of no where...

Also Intel was telling me that if i put anything other than that thermal pad that came with my boxed cpu/hs that it would void my warranty... Dont know whats up with that...

Anyways, I will be at home tomarrow and will reseat the hs...

BTW, I also have another system almost exactly the same, different case & intel mobo (D915GAVL), and it runs at like 136f at idle when i am just sitting in the bios...

136°F or °C? If that is in C that system is running way too hot. 80°C also voids your warranty as the maximum thermal spec. for your CPU is 67°C.

Check out my sticky in general CPU's about CPU temperatures. It has some causes and fixes to high temps.

Also, you shouldn't worry about it having run at 80°C, if it still works, it is probably ok. You do however, want to get that number down before running that computer. It most likely and should be able to take it with no problems, although CPU's vary and there is a possibility yours could end up with some damage at that temperature. Also it voids the warranty running it that hot anyway.

Thats 136°F... I checked out your sticky and will try some of those things out, however i will start with reseating the heatsink...

Also i talked to intel and just FYI for other people, they said its most likely an incorrect reading... He told me to install windows and then flash the BIOS to see if that fixes it because this is a known problem with some boards... So i will try what he told me...

BTW: He said that the system should start to slow down at 72.8c to reduce heat and at 78-79c shut down depending on processor...

Back