• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5b-D sound problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ahh thanks everyone >_< yea i have a xfi on my old computer... but thats all the way across the country in the middle of the pacific ocean haha.. gues i'm gonna haft to explain to my parents step by step how to take that card out and have them send it to me with the cd's >_< ahh a few more weeks withought sound then.... but if it STILL wont let me install the sound drivers then... i think i'm gonna haft to return this god damn mobo and get something else >_>

omg, i have the same problem with this mobo. unable to install the sound driver no matter what. argg.....

Oh noes! I'm gonna have to live without sound until I get my X-fi. That's a 1 month wait. Hope I don't get the same problems as you guys... I probably will with my luck tho.

Btw, has anyone tried out the Array mic (SoundMax Superbeam) that came with the P5B-D? I wasn't expecting anything like that at all. I'm hoping it's good enough for use with a 5.1 surround system, cancelling out echos and stuff.

more info, the "HD Audio" driver is off of SP2, i found it in the service pack cab there, it installs the evil new Digital rights management stuff when you put it on.
there was DRM with XP, and XPsp1 , but the new one installed with the hd audio driver sp2 is pure evil (imo)

I too am having hella problems with these soundmax drivers. I'm currently using the 4530s at the moment since I can get at least SOME sound from them. But I only get sound in some applications sometimes; for example winamp will sometimes stop producing sound or just the bass will work. It also refuses to play noise from the rear speakers at the speaker configuration window if you select the rotating option or the pan left to right option. But it WILL play noise if I tell it to play on all the speakers. I have never had onboard sound this bad, it's inexcusable in my opinion.

Has anyone gotten this onboard sound figured out?

bohansen said:
no i already tried that long time ago.

The problem is that it wont let me install drivers because i'm missing a HD Audio device driver from microsoft... did alot of research and found some stuff.. but nothing that i could do o_O stuff like i gotta call the manufacturer up and ****..

BUT there was this one place that i found that has these files that will install drivers that would be campatible with nearly everything , they had differnt ones for all kinds of things.. BUT LIKE A IDIOT i tried just reformatting and reinstalling windows, and i lost the link to that website... and no reformatting didnt solve the problem.. soooo now i gotta start all over again and try to find the sites that i found earlier... *sigh*

I never had that problem. I did get that message but I could still install the audio drivers. It must be something you're doing wrong.

I got it to work, but the onboard HD audio still doesn't compare to my X-Fi so I switched back to it.

Were you able to get the sound functional at least blkout? My sound is just ridiculously bad, I have muffled sound, cuts in and out, goes mute every now and then. THe 5.1 only works when playing games, 5,1 everywhere involves center channel speaker being the only one working. I'm dying here. What drivers appear to be most functional? Any tricks to getting the sound better on these?

A third party sound card wont really work for me cause I dont have the pci slots to do it!

Raider2184 said:
Were you able to get the sound functional at least blkout? My sound is just ridiculously bad, I have muffled sound, cuts in and out, goes mute every now and then. THe 5.1 only works when playing games, 5,1 everywhere involves center channel speaker being the only one working. I'm dying here. What drivers appear to be most functional? Any tricks to getting the sound better on these?

A third party sound card wont really work for me cause I dont have the pci slots to do it!

Yea, it functioned just fine, it just didn't sound as good as my X-Fi card.

Back