• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Dlx + G0 Q6600 = 3.5GHz, any tips to get higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've actually overclocked a cpu (a few years actually since I bought the E6400 & P5B Dlx in the sig from the classifieds with an idea of how far they could OC, thanks meionm). Anyway I decided to jump in on the Microcenter deal and buy a quad, but I can't get anything with 400fsb stable. Prime95.6 fails in a few mins at 400*8 and I can't even boot windows at 400*9 with the vcore as high as 1.6v (oh this is watercooled btw) and ram timings relaxed to 5-5-5-15 even though they run at 4-3-3-12 on 450fsb.

I have found that prime ran 389*9 ~ 3.5GHz for 16+ hrs on blend with 1.48v, peak temps in the mid 50s, usually in the high 40s. If this is as high as it can go I'd be totally satisfied with it, as I've been doing a lot of video encoding, but I just find it odd that I can get 450*9 on the e6400 but can't even do 400*8 on the quad.

Some of my bios settings:

Dram 800Mhz (1:1)
Pci-e Freq 101MHz
PCI Clock Sync Mode 33.33Mhz
Spread Spectrum Disabled
Memory Voltage 2.2V
VCore 1.48v taken up to 1.6v with no change in OC ability
FSB Termination Voltage 1.45v
NB VCore 1.55
SB VCore 1.6v
ICH Chipset Voltage 1.215v

So yea if you guys have any tips or advice, or tell me just to be happy with it ;)

Thanks
Tipycol

The P5B-D won't go that high on the FSB w/ a quad. You can try dropping the multi, and playing w/ your BIOS settings while increasing the FSB, but I doubt you'll get much higher.

A P35/X38 board will let you max out the FSB, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the amount of extra OC you'll be able to get out of it for 24/7 usage.

Yea I was just wondering if anyone had any bios settings to tweak to get the G0 and P5B to work a little better together. It's hard searching for info on this combo since I either get threads where people moved to the p35/x38 or threads that are almost 2 years old. I've thought about getting a new board, but I think I'll just wait and see how the new chipsets turn out.

Yea I was just wondering if anyone had any bios settings to tweak to get the G0 and P5B to work a little better together. It's hard searching for info on this combo since I either get threads where people moved to the p35/x38 or threads that are almost 2 years old. I've thought about getting a new board, but I think I'll just wait and see how the new chipsets turn out.

Good idea! Google the Foxconn X48 BlackOPs.

Back