• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parent computer upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Saving you all the backstory, my parents' computer needs an update. The desktop they have is an old Inspiron 530. I do not believe that the motherboard supports the C2Q's, only the Duo;s

Most of their problems are that programs dont open quickly at all. I believe an SSD and a full OS upgrade should fix this. Is an E6550 still an okay CPU for web browsing, watching videos, and doing some itunes? or should I recommend them something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA42J3E19425

Last edited:
First of all, the refurbished computer you link may not "seem" much faster to them than their current unit because they will not be using the grunt power of the quad core cpu. What you want to look for to make the computer seem "snappier" in light weight tasks is: 1. As you already know, an SSD, 2. adequate memory and 3. a CPU with high per core clock speed. Also, cleaning up the hard drive can do wonders as well as the browser cache. Ccleaner is a wonderful tool for this.

First of all, the refurbished computer you link may not "seem" much faster to them than their current unit because they will not be using the grunt power of the quad core cpu. What you want to look for to make the computer seem "snappier" in light weight tasks is: 1. As you already know, an SSD, 2. adequate memory and 3. a CPU with high per core clock speed. Also, cleaning up the hard drive can do wonders as well as the browser cache. Ccleaner is a wonderful tool for this.

This. The usage the OP describes doesn't need more cores, it needs more speed. And I second CCleaner's usefulness. I've used it for years and wouldn't build a system without it. I ran it on a neighbor's computer a few years ago and it took an hour to run the first time. LOL After that she thought I was a genius. She thought she needed a new computer before that. I would try that first, then the SSD.

as the others have said, faster cpu for this use and a little more ram.
more cores would just be more that does nothing.
these days if you upgrade your own an ssd is the first thing to go in, that makes even a 1.8ghz Sempron feel like a rocket at boot and load times.

I searched for the model and it says it has Q6600, Not E6600. Try to overclock it and clean the PC (Dust). Btw +1 on the Ccleaner program, Used it on my 7 month old PC and it cleared 3GB off my SSD.

If you cant overclock or you really want to buy them a new PC Try the Haswell Pentium that can overclock :p
Overclock it to 4GHz and it should be better than what they have.

Btw here is a video about gaming on both CPUs and the winner is the new Pentium.

the dell you linked will do a very good job at what they do with a computer.
and the price is about right.

Put in a cheap socket MSI (H81M-P33) or gigabyte mother board with overclocking ability (they can be had for under $50) and put a G3258 Pentium anniversary edition CPU on it. They can reliably be overclocked to 4.4 ghz on the stock cooler. Add in an SSD. 8 gb of RAM. It will scream in light to medium tasks.

It has a Foxconn G33M02 motherboard. Looks like the fastest CPU for it is the E8600 @ 3.33ghz stock. I am not confident in overclocking on this board nor the power supply.

If the board has any overclocking ability you should know those socket 775 CPUs are very overclockable and it's simple. MSI was using someting called "Cell" in the bios to overclock in those days. Just increase the FSB. The memory will be the limiting factor so you might have to lower the memory divider.

I really doubt a prebuilt system board will have any overclocking options, but I can see.

It does not. The CPU clock generator is completely locked. Looks like an E8600 is the best we can do!

Back