• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Part of the reason why RAM prices are dropping (or why they used to be high)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome. Now I can wait a little while and get 2GB's going in my laptop. And when I build the C2D rig I wont have to cheap out on ram.

The somewhat sad part is that IIRC all that price fixing was specifically to combat Rambus memory.. i.e. artificially keep DRAM prices low and keep RDRAM prices very high to kill consumer interest. That was what got the DoJ onto the DRAM makers' case, or at least I remember reading a few articles about that a year and a half ago.

Yea but RDRAM wasn't much of a factor in 2006. When you really get down to it the reason for variations in technology item prices, especially things that are commodified like memory, is not simple. That really goes for any item sold on an open market so I hope no one, including the government, attributes prices mainly to 'price fixing.'

when was there ever a price hike? i remember buying sticks of 256mb ddr for $12 a piece a few years ago from a computer show.

you guys really think ram prices are going to drop? if so, i may hold off on that $300 order of 3gb crucial ram i was going to make today.

I'm not surprised at all. I mean, technology is controlled by such a minority that it is expected this will happen. When you have a handful of gigantic corporations running the show, of course they are going to want to milk the market as much as possible. It is dispicable and I hope the guilty companies have learned from this (which I doubt). But at least prices will start to level out.

I was under the impression as of early last year, (the hike was mentioned 3 months before it happened, remember) that the Memory manufacturers had geared up to produce more of the MUCH more profitable NAND memory, which subsequently had the bottom falll out and now manufacturers are switching back to a higher precentage of standard memory.

Im sure the recent drop in prices has NOTHING to do with a lawsuit. After all paying a billion dollar fine would cause the companies to raise prices because they are not going to eat it, just pass the cost back to the consumer.

I think many of us expected this. DDR2 prices for the last few months hadn't dropped. At all. Many even went UP.

I, however, didn't know that any legal action had been taken. Glad it did.

asusradeon said:
.. looks like ram prices gonna drop.. :) do you think this will have affected the UK ?
I wouldn't exactly count on prices falling... same with gas if you can get the consumer used to paying such high prices for something they need, why go back to lower pricing?

IWasHungry said:
I think many of us expected this. DDR2 prices for the last few months hadn't dropped. At all. Many even went UP.

I, however, didn't know that any legal action had been taken. Glad it did.

The legal action has nothing to do with the recent rise... it has to do with a near decade long price fixing scheme.

Hopefully the prices will fall just a little farther, as I am looking at a system build sometime in the next few months.

inkfx said:
Does this mean to the people? Or the companies that were being charges the high prices?
Both. Last week I got a notice that I'm the class along with all the companies that bought RAM directly from the manufacturers caught fixing prices. Not that I expect my share of the settlement to be enough to buy lunch.

Back