• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive (fanless) CPU Cooler Recommendations (Haswell 1150)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight1fox3

Registered
Hi all,

Thread title basically sums it up. I'm looking to build a small form-factor ITX PC using a SilverSTone RAVEN RVZ01B case. I'm looking to make it as silent as possible and would like to go with a passive/fanless CPU cooler. I haven't been able to come up with much that is compatible with an Intel 1150 socket. The Nofan CR-95C is the closest thing I've come across that looks pretty good. However, it's overall height will prevent it from working with the case I chose. The height limitation for the SS Raven is 83mm. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Good luck with passive in a tiny case... Passive requires some case airflow and with tiny cases, there is just not a lot of it there...

GL... :)

This particular SS case is supposed to be good for passive airflow. I plan to use an i3-4130 so I'm not worried about any heavy CPU loads. This will be a "set it & forget it" type system. I'm willing to entertain any low noise CPU cooling options as well but would also want something with an extended operating life.

I know the case. IIRC, it has one fan on it.

That said, I would imagine the stock Intel should be fine on top of a i3 4130. Just keep all power savings on and you should be fine. I have a more powerful processor than that under the stock intel heatsink for an HTPC and I couldn't hear it ramp up outside of stress testing. I surely could not hear it over a movie/TV/music.

I was actually thinking of going completely fanless to see how things run. I want to avoid inviting any additional dust/debris into the case. But I agree, the stock fan isn't all that noisy. I still might look at something after-market like MASSCOOL or the like. Thanks for your responses.

Well, knowing the case, it has a filtered intake fan at the top. The CPU cooler would not take in any new dust as it is using that air and not outside air to cool. The case works on positive pressure (more intake than exhaust to keep dust out of the case/cracks and only coming through the filtered intake fan).

Ah ok. I came across this SilverStone fan after a quick search on Newegg for 1150 type CPU fans. Might keep the inside of the case a bit more open/cleaner by using a LP style.

Cool.

Before paying for anything, I would run the stock intel and see if that works for you.

GL!

I'm sure it will run fine. But the stock fan is large by comparison and probably made a lot cheaper too (brushed aluminum vs. copper). The LP fan I think would look a lot sleeker in this small form-factor ITX build. This is getting into aesthetics now vs. practical functionality. The SS might cool a tad better but probably not by much so that wouldn't be a determining factor. =) $25 isn't much of an adder either IMO.

I bet it would look sleeker, but does it really matter in a case you can't see in?

Its $25 that you don't have to spend regardless if it breaks the bank or not.

Your call of course. Post back with what you decided!!

I use a fanless Noctua NH-D14 to test case airflows.

Usually the best dual tower heatsinks are the best at passive performance. But really, aside from the e-peen you get from going fanless, a 500-1000 rpm fan inside your case will not be heard. And the airflow produced by the fan, slow though it may be, will push far more air than mere natural convection.

But don't take my word for it. Test your rig passive, and with a slow fan. With the cover on the case, you won't hear the fan.

Hi all,

Thread title basically sums it up. I'm looking to build a small form-factor ITX PC using a SilverSTone RAVEN RVZ01B case. I'm looking to make it as silent as possible and would like to go with a passive/fanless CPU cooler. I haven't been able to come up with much that is compatible with an Intel 1150 socket. The Nofan CR-95C is the closest thing I've come across that looks pretty good. However, it's overall height will prevent it from working with the case I chose. The height limitation for the SS Raven is 83mm. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I helped setup one of these cases for quiet cooling awhile back. I'll try and find the tread and send you a link to it.

Thanks for the all the replies. Definitely some good ideas there. Here's the final build that I decided on:

• Silverstone RAVEN Series RVZ01B Black Reinforced plastic outer shell, steel body Mini-ITX Desktop PC Case
• ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
• Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W CPU Intel HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34130
• G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
• Silverstone 12.7 mm SATA Interface Slot Load 8X (BLK) CD/DVD RW Drive SATA 3.0 Gb-s Optical Drv SOD02B
• Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
• Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX12V SLI CrossFire 80+ GOLD Cert Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
• Silverstone NT07-115X Super Slim Profile CPU Cooler LGA 1156/1155/1150 Intel LGA115X

Back