• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paste question... No it's not the one you think it is. Unless it is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adams1029

My question is about set time. I have read where can't remember where, that you are supposed to wait 200 hours for the TIN to set. I have never really done this. Most build are AMD for me in the past few years and heat is always low with AMD. But with my new build temps go a lot higher then AMD. What is everyone's wait times before pursuing there OC?

personally ive always waited a week before doing any overclocks not just for the tin to set but to check the overall system stability and run some benches and stress tests.

Last edited:
i thought it depended on which type of paste you used. seems like different companies have different requirements (or so i thought)

Yeah I'm really not sure I never fell into the hype of this paste is so much better very the standard TIN. I once bought arctic silver and no change at all(Years ago). So I just use the cheap stuff never had a problem. The main reason I asked is because I just re-pasted my block.

I'll probably wait a week before I oc. I already know the stability of my system. Done my burn in with a one hour paste set lol.

Last edited:
ive only seen a degree or two difference in paste's myself but for $5 to do several cpu's i just buy the good stuff.

Once the PC is stable, wiindows loaded, your proggies checked out, everything upfated. Heck that's at least a day, and the 24 hours of load testing burn in.

Don't worry about burn in time. Get some MX4, good to go.

It is TIM not TIN (Thermal Interface Material) and it depends on the paste on how long it takes to "cure". My understanding is that there is no restrictions during this period and that, in fact, you want to cycle it through periods of low temp idle and high temp load to cure it. Arctic silver 5 is the one requiring 200 hours of curing before it reaches its full potential, but it is a degree or two at best.

AS5 in recent tests is showing it's age. I don't even consider AS5 as a viable paste anymore.

We should quit talking about AS5 with so many better pastes out there that are easier to use and has no cure time.

AS5 is old, and should not be used by any informed PC enthusiast.

It is TIM not TIN (Thermal Interface Material) and it depends on the paste on how long it takes to "cure". My understanding is that there is no restrictions during this period and that, in fact, you want to cycle it through periods of low temp idle and high temp load to cure it. Arctic silver 5 is the one requiring 200 hours of curing before it reaches its full potential, but it is a degree or two at best.

Yea I know it's TIM I honest have no idea why I was putting tin. I noticed it when I was leaving for work and did not have time to fix it. It's good to know there is no cure time for any other pastes I could not find much I just remember reading it some where why I had asked.

i for one.. cannot wait that long.

I use dow corning, and as soon as I apply it, BAM, OC !!
and so far.. no prob..

however, if I am doing it wrong, i will love to hear everyone else's experience.

i for one.. cannot wait that long.

I use dow corning, and as soon as I apply it, BAM, OC !!
and so far.. no prob..

however, if I am doing it wrong, i will love to hear everyone else's experience.

The difference in temperature cured vs fresh is only 1 or 2 degrees. Not a reason to not choose AS5.

Ouch! I'm going to keep using mine anyway. :) No reason to buy it if you're looking for a new tube, though.

AS5 in recent tests is showing it's age. I don't even consider AS5 as a viable paste anymore.

We should quit talking about AS5 with so many better pastes out there that are easier to use and has no cure time.

There are a lot of trendy pastes however that haven't been given the test of time.

Over the years, there has been a lot of talk about analyzing bonds in the thermal interface - a lot of interesting work tested and published by JoeC on our frontpage. Intel has filed patents (available online) describing the trouble with thermal interfaces over time within the interface between die and heatspreader, and the way thermal loads affect the quality of the bonds over time. Endurance in pastes could be an important factor, ensuring it doesn't pump out, separate over time, or dry out... These are negative factors that aren't ever tested or reviewed for in these tests which slap coolers on and test for several hours, a day, or a week.

In having systems that have ran arctic silver 5 for years, I know that I can take a heatsink off several years down the road and not find dried out dust between the heatsink and processor. If you are remounting blocks or heatsinks regularly this isn't much of a concern - but for many systems the heatsink is mounted once then never remounted, or at least not for years later.

I think in many situations, a trusted paste that performs comparably could be as appropriate as the latest trendy pastes currently in favor.

Personally, for any paste that has a zero cure time I have doubts. There is a point to a cure time it seems in a lot of things I've read, and a big part of that is longevity.

Back