• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Intel Extreme Frequency Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imablackbelt

Hey all, first post. I recently built a rig running The Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 2x4GB 1866 mhz. It's running on an MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard and an AMD A10 5800k processor. The motherboard and processor both show up as supporting 1866 mhz RAM at stock voltages and settings. The RAM is at 1600 and refuses to go higher. I have tried manually setting the timings at 9-10-9-27, voltage to 1.65V (from 1.5V), mhz to 1866, and tRFC to 300 as suggested by Patriot tech support with no change.

Any help is appreciated, I spent an extra $10 or something to get 1866 mhz RAM and it's bothering me immensely.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "refuses to go higher"... Memtest / Memtest86+ fails, no POST, Windows fails to load, etc? And have you tried enabling the DDR3-1866 XMP profile in the UEFI, normally Profile #1?

Nono everything runs fine the RAM is just running at 1600 mhz instead of the advertised 1866 mhz. I have tried enabling XMP, but the only options and enable and disable, no profiles or anything. Enabling it didn't make a change.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that the RAM is running at DDR3-1600 when XMP is enabled, or the DRAM Frequency is manually set to DDR3-1866? And have you tried enabling AMP instead, w/ DRAM Timing Mode and DRAM voltage both set to Auto?

I'm checking the RAM frequency with MSI ControlCenter which seems to read everything else correctly, I've checked it with CPU-Z as well. I tried checking with coretemp but that program just reads everything wrong right down to cpu temp. My BIOS does not have an option for AMP despite it saying it should in the manual. I was thinking it was because the RAM is programmed for XMP but not AMP. For some reason I am missing a lot of options in my BIOS though like Memory-Z and the SPD menus. I am using the latest version and actually just updated my BIOS yesterday.

I think I'd try resetting CMOS if you haven't already since updating the UEFI. Core Temp doesn't read the DRAM frequency, and should only be used for monitoring core temp's. What's the DRAM frequency shown on the POST screen after enabling XMP, and I assume CPU-Z is showing 800Mhz as the current frequency instead of 933Mhz?

Back