• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Patriot Viper Steel 16GB DDR4-4400 Memory Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The Patriot Viper Steel series is designed to bring top performance for the most demanding users. The memory kit contains two 8GB modules rated at DDR4-4400 which is also the highest speed offered by Patriot.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, in the overclock section, the cache is clocked considerably higher than core. I was hoping to see sub-timings like in the royals review.

Last edited:
In OC, CPU is at auto so AIDA64 sees it as 4.3GHz but in real it boosts to 5GHz as Intel's default.
Subs in OC section won't change much as it was only a run to show the maximum clock. In other tests, subs are at auto so if not set manually then highly depend on the motherboard and its training. Less advanced users won't touch it and those who are into competitive benchmarking will tune everything up manually anyway. This memory is on exactly the same IC as all other higher series kits, also mentioned G.Skill Royal so it's not really a mystery what subs are there.

Last edited:
Just a little update.
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 works well at XMP#2 @4266 19-19-19 1.35V on SuperO Z390 ITX / C9Z390-CG-IW. Most other memory kits couldn't even boot at DDR4-4133 including G.Skill TridentZ 4266 C19 or Team Xtreem DDR4-4133 C18. The motherboard can't handle XMP@DDR4-4400 or manual settings above DDR4-4266.

sm4266.jpg

I have not scene Patriot be competitive since the DDR2 days. Nice Review :)
Great Price for good memory :thup:

It's not because Patriot wasn't releasing nice memory kits. For example, my best results on a higher capacity DDR3 were on the Patriot Viper 4x8GB kit. I couldn't find anything better. I just see that overclocking community sticks to some brands which are promoted the most. In the past, overclockers were looking for the best IC. Now they just think that a memory series is the best because others said that (and not always actually tested it).

HI, just a week ago bought this kit, but sadly on my Aorus Ultra z390 board runs ant 3866 mhz max. Not stable on 4000mhz. I would really appreciate any tips how to run it faster :D
I could post any settings from bios if needed.

Tx

If the motherboard can handle higher clock then it should set everything automatically once you set the higher clock and leave all timings at auto. Most motherboards use timing tables and set relaxed timings at auto but it will show if the motherboard can boot at 4000+.
Tested memory kit could work at XMP@4266 on 3 different motherboards. It was even working on Supermicro motherboard which isn't the best for memory OC. 4400 can be hard for some gaming series motherboards but up to 4133-4266 it should work.

Be sure that you have the latest BIOS. Can also try manual settings like 4133/4266 19-19-19 command rate 2N, 1.35-1.45V, VCCIO 1.30V, VCCSA 1.30-1.40V (it shouldn't need more than 1.4V up to 4500).
If you set command rate at 1N manually then it probably won't boot above 3866.

Back