• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Viper Steel 4133 MHz CL19, XMP profile problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GalaX

Hello guys,
I have a problem with my viper steel's I've bought about a month ago.

From the beginning I've set XMP profile 1 in bios. Nothing really happened back then, I've been playing Cyberpunk for 30+ hours without a problem, also CSGO, Apex etc.
Yesterday I played COD warzone, and I've been getting a lot of different blue screens after playing for... 30mins, 1hour, somethimes more.
These bluescreens were: "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDELED" Ntfs.sys (x2) , "IRQL not less or equal", "fault hardware corrupted page", "memory management".
Today, I found out that disabling the XMP 1 profile helps and I am not getting blue screens anymore but ram is working on 2133mhz CL19 (which is really bad).

Please help me what should I do with this.. is the Ram faulty and I should take it to warranty?
Thanks for help in advance, below I insert a picture of my bios options for both XMP profiles + my whole setup.

pJx8OsO

Welcome to the forum.

Warzone pushes a pc pretty hard much like your other games but for me it seems to be a little less stable than my other games as well. Because it is happening after a period of time in gaming I would lean towards heat being an issue. Give us a run down of what the rest of your pc is and what settings like voltages, overclock, etc. Then maybe we can give you a bit of insight.

If it isn't running hot, you'll likely need to add some SA/IO voltage (I'm assuming you're running an Intel machine with RAM that fast) to stabilize that speed of RAM. What did the motherboard set it to when you enabled XMP?

Ohh, I'm sorry, I thought that my photo was added.
My PC is: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
I7 10700kf (stock clocks)
rtx 3060TI (stock clocks)

I monitored my temps, and everything is allright, CPU, GPU, SYSTEM, MOS, PCH, CPU Socket, T0, T1. All of these have the right temperature, so I dont think it is an issue.

When I enable XMP profile 1 the mobo sets it to: 4133mhz, 19-21-21-41, 1.4V. Profile 2: 4000mhz, 19-21-21-41, 1.4V.

I just think that the XMP profiles should work... and there shouldn't be problems when enabling them.. thanks

MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Is your BIOS updated to the latest version? If not, do so and try again.

When I enable XMP profile 1 the mobo sets it to: 4133mhz, 19-21-21-41, 1.4V. Profile 2: 4000mhz, 19-21-21-41, 1.4V.
What about the System Agent and VccIO voltage I asked about? What does the BIOS show them at when you set XMP? As I said, you may need to add more.

I just think that the XMP profiles should work... and there shouldn't be problems when enabling them.. thanks
In theory, yes. Reality.. it doesn't work that way...especially with such fast memory speeds. The max speed for this platform is 2933 MHz... so you're overclocking. Those may require some tweaking. If you did that with 3600 MHz sticks, it would likely work. Anything beyond 4000 MHz on Intel likely needs some tweaking. A good sweet spot for price to performance is around that 3600 mark...beyond that performance increases are negligible and the price goes up a lot.

Unfortunately even using XMP is considered overclocking by Intel (if it is above their max specs), so isn't much you can do to rectify it except follow the advice given above.

Thanks you for good piece of information.
Bios is updated to the latest version. I did it as soon as I got my hands on the mobo.

When I turn on XMP #1:
CPU SA Voltage is set to 1.410V (although it's set to auto)
CPU IO Voltage is set to 1.292V (although it's set to auto)

These are the voltages you were asking for? Also... I am playing warzone now, and I have enabled XMP #1 but changed DRAM voltage from 1.400V to "manually" 1.4500V. So far... 20 mins, and no crash. I will keep on testing.
Do you have any more ideas how to set it up correctly or what should I try doing?

Wow... 1.4 and 1.3V is WAY too high for that memory speed. You can lower that 1.2 and 1.1 respectively and still be OK. If raising the DRAM voltage works, you're good (try lowering that SA/IO though for sure). Also try 1.425V on the DRAM and see if that works. Sometimes just a bit of a bump helps.

To what value should I lower SA and IO? I dont even know what are these parameters doing...
Btw.. I am doing Prime95 Small FFT's test on the CPU, and when I OC RAM, it seems to get to 95ish degrees, which is kind of weird considering the cpu is running on stock clocks.
Before RAM OC it's about 90ish still. When gaming it doesnt go above 70 degrees so I guess it's okeey.
Cooler: Dark Rock pro 4.

It takes mine 1.45v to run PC4000 like you are now running. Let us know how it goes after running it for a bit.

Also we are assuming those are Samsung B-Die but have you run Typhoon burner to see what they are for sure?

I just checked using this program. Yes, these are Samsung 8 Gb B-die (Boltzmann / 20 nm) / 1 die.
So far after more than 1 hour no crashes with 1.45V. Soon I will try to decrease it to 1.425V.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Also... SA and IO voltages are set to auto. Taking into consideration what @EarthDog says.. mobo is giving to much votage for these to, but.. I dont know what should I do with them tbh.

To what value should I lower SA and IO?
I mentioned previously 1.2 and 1.1 (SA and IO respectively). :)

Btw.. I am doing Prime95 Small FFT's test on the CPU, and when I OC RAM, it seems to get to 95ish degrees, which is kind of weird considering the cpu is running on stock clocks.
Small FFT tests a very small amount of RAM. The high SA/IO voltage will raise temperatures as the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) is on the CPU die itself. Stock voltage is 1.1 and 0.95 for SA/IO... ;)

ok, sooo I tried SA 1.2 and IO 1.1, and the system did not boot. Then I wanted to try SA 1.3 but the letters became RED, like... it was trying to tell me that these are high values, so I freaked out, and left it on auto hahaha. I have a feeling this mobo is managing these voltages not very well :(..

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It's strange because you are right... I see people with i7 10700k and even similar mobos have 1.048V and 0.956 (SA, IO)...

SA: 1.25 and IO: 1.3 works, but I tried 1.25 and 1.25 and it did not work. Also 1.43 seems to be the lowest possible voltage for 4133MHz. Well... I think these voltages are pretty high tbh :(..

Is there anything else I can do?

I've found at 4000 + SA voltage usually needs to be 1.3V and up depending on the CPU. IO is good around 1.2 - 1.3V I'd start at 1.25V

Back