• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc Chips A33G Bios Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Kurgan1

My friend recently decided to upgrade his comp a bit and picked up a HIS 3870 IceQ III. I tossed it in and it was laggy with XP, I checked GPU usage while running WoW and it only hit 16%. I didn't really feel like messing with that so he just went and got Vista Ultimate X64.

I got that all installed and after some searching found all the mobo drivers and installed them. Then I installed Cat 8.11's and restarted it, that literally put it at about 1 frame every 4 or 5 seconds. So I rebooted in safe mode and unistalled the Cat 8.11's and restarted it. And it worked fine again.

Did some research seems that card (and probably some others) are not supported by the default Bios, but they are by the newest one. So I downloaded Pc Chips bios and their recommended program AFUwin. And thats where it all ends, I try and fire up the BIOS with AFUwin and all I get is "Error loading driver". Nail in the coffin, anyone got any ideas on how to get AFUwin to work or the BIOS flashed (not I don't have a USB stick and no floppy).

So you double-click the file "AFUWIN" and an error message comes up that says "Error loading driver"? There should be 7 files total in that folder.

Yep, there is 7 in there. I even tried opening the .rom with selected application (AFUwin) and that allowed it to actually open up command prompt (wouldnt even make it that far before), but then in there is just says "Error loading driver".

You'll need to make a bootable flash drive, and flash it that way. Load all the files from that folder onto your flash drive, reboot, chose to boot off the flash drive, and use the prompt below:

afudos E080220S.ROM /p /b /n /c /x

Here's a guide.

I don't got a floppy drive or USB stick, I ordered a USB stick but it won't be here for a few days :/

Guess I'm gonna have to toss his toasted 8600GTS into the comp and hope that limps by for a few days.

Just go to Control Panel, Turn UAC off and then run AFUWIN again. It should work like a charm =)

Back