• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc outside of the house for winter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohioviper

Ok this is out there but its an idea I have had for long time.Wondering if it is ok to put a pc outside in the cold for the winter or can this cause problems with being too cold ?What I had in mind is building a small box on outside of the house to protect the pc from the elements but have open vents so if it hits zero outside the pc will be in nice and cold. Would run cables through the wall with small opening as desk is on other side from where I would put the box.Would the heat from the cpu and gpu make condensation or would it stay dry ?

Only thing that doesn't like being cold are the HDDs.

Condensation occurs when the temperature of an object is lower then the temperature of the surrounding air. Make sure it's isolated from the house, as if warm heated air from the house hits the computer, it will condense.

Only thing I would do is leave your hard drive inside, grab a long SATA cable and a SATA power extender, but it should work.

I did some benching last year while I was in Kansas in sub zero weather. I didn't use a case though. I didn't have any issues. Just make sure you have good air flow to keep everything dry.

As far as warm parts getting cold air and creating condensation, the setup got plenty warm internally, and I never had any condensation issues. I'd do a two hour benching session, afterward everything would be pretty warm, turn it off, and boot it up 20 mins later and it would be fine. I also had a large fan blowing directly over the setup though.

This is what happens when you put your rads out the window in subzero weather ;)

IMAG0041.jpg

The OP mentions nothing about benching so I'm assuming he wants to run it that way 24/7. My question would be, why?
Is the cooling you have now, inadequate?

This is what happens when you put your rads out the window in subzero weather ;)

If your humidity was 3% in your room you'd prolly have no condensation.

You must be very sub ambient outside, thats for sure, neat pic!

Keeping the PC itself outside isn't an issue when you turn it on. Humidity can come into play.

Soo many variables when playing with these silly boxes eh?

No I was thinking about making it a winter time only place to put one of my air cooled rigs for benching.Summer rolls around bring it back inside in the ac.I guess the question I had is if the entire pc is out in the cold inside of a water proof but ventilated box it wouldn't sweat like that so everything should stay dry right ? Ive even thought about adding on a small closet size room on the house with its own ac unit for the summer and ventilated for the winter.Kinda like my own little server closet.

Condensation only forms when you bring something very cold into a warm (and relatively humid) climate. So you will be fine.

I have always wondered... if you put a warm beer into the refrigerator... does it condensate on the inside of the can???? j/k ;)

That would cause condensation. The water would flow back in the house, but still be chilled, and water from the air would condense on the cold tubes.

With a little preparation you can avoid most of condensation that I pictured. Tube insulation works wonders. The blocks are bound to freeze over when that cold though, but it's nothing a little bit of silicone conformal will not protect you from. Very similar to insulating a board for phase change, or a water chiller... you're just using a "natural" water chiller.

caddiedaddie tried using a meat locker for a benching session ……. if my memory is correct he had issues with the ram falling out of the sockets or expansion in the sockets causing issues. You could go through the Justpuzzin thread or just pm him as that thread is pretty long. Though this was up near the beginning of the thread.

I run a small dehumidifier sometimes. I can guarantee it would prevent moisture buildup if you sat it right next to the 'pc'. Neat idea for sure but between that and a nice water cooled setup, I think the std water cool would be easier in the long run. Less maintenance. Personally I want a pc with ZERO moving parts. No fans nothing. Then I'd probably need to keep it outside too with some of the rigs you guys have.

Back