• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E link width 4x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, is there anything that ISN'T wrong with your card :p

Do you have a pci bandwidth setting in your BIOS?

no pci-e settings in bios, with my 7900GS same settings the link width is 16x

:s

edit: there are actually people on other forums saying I should accept the fact that I overclocked and screwed up my card...i'm thinking: "do those people have an extra $250 laying around somehwere?"

no pci-e settings in bios, with my 7900GS same settings the link width is 16x

:s

edit: there are actually people on other forums saying I should accept the fact that I overclocked and screwed up my card...i'm thinking: "do those people have an extra $250 laying around somehwere?"

I wouldn't believe those people.

Try playing around with FSB and PCIe Freq a few on each side of whatever whatever setting you have it at.

Also can try upping the NB a bit more than 0.1 or whatever. I don't really have a whole lot of experience with Gigabyte boards, but this kind of thing is relatively common on some of the P35 Asus boards. Just a glitch you have to work around in most cases.

you didnt screw up your card. try changing your pci-x freq from auto to 100, or vice versa

Or try locking it in at 101.

tried both, no dice..still the same

I wouldn't believe those people.

Try playing around with FSB and PCIe Freq a few on each side of whatever whatever setting you have it at.

Also can try upping the NB a bit more than 0.1 or whatever. I don't really have a whole lot of experience with Gigabyte boards, but this kind of thing is relatively common on some of the P35 Asus boards. Just a glitch you have to work around in most cases.

gonna try that, btw, would increasing pci-e voltage work too?

gonna try that, btw, would increasing pci-e voltage work too?

It might. Give it a try.

I would first try getting your NB voltage higher. There justmight be a sweet spot of voltage you need to hit somewhere. Thats half the fun of over clocking.

Does it do it when your CPU/FSB/RAM are stock?

My buddy is having a similar issue on his P35-DS3P board except his is at 1x. Dropping the clocks to stock worked, and he's trying to see where he can get back to. Sometimes just clearing the CMOS, and re-doing all your BIOS settings manually can help.

Are you uninstalling the drivers/re-installing the drivers b/n all this swapping of video cards?

Does it do it when your CPU/FSB/RAM are stock?

My buddy is having a similar issue on his P35-DS3P board except his is at 1x. Dropping the clocks to stock worked, and he's trying to see where he can get back to. Sometimes just clearing the CMOS, and re-doing all your BIOS settings manually can help.

Are you uninstalling the drivers/re-installing the drivers b/n all this swapping of video cards?

I know about the 1x thing, that's just NB or MCH related, he just needs to boost it a bit, but 4x i've never seen before, gonna try stock and 500fsb

you know thideras, it's actually funny that these cheapo $100 boards can hit 500fsb where some highend boards may struggle with it

I'll let the pics do the talking

stock4xlinkih3.png

really starting to think it's the card

Last edited:
Did you try the resetting the CMOS and starting from scratch?

Maybe pull the battery, unplug, and press power to discharge. Wait a while, and then redo all your BIOS settings from scratch.

No dice with F12 bios either, I've tried all availble BIOS

edit: could the soft mod have caused this? I really doubt it because all other softmodded cards work just fine..

Last edited:
The "x1 thing" was an "Asus thing" AFAIK. Maybe the "x4 thing" is the Gigabyte equivalent ?

The X1 problem seems to be a Gigabyte issue too, I've had it myself.

No dice with F12 bios either, I've tried all availble BIOS

edit: could the soft mod have caused this? I really doubt it because all other softmodded cards work just fine..

Ok, slightly different but try setting the PCI-E frequency to 110-115, a small boost to 101 sometimes doesn't do it. Also, try the F7 BIOS, out of all the ones I've tried, they seem to be the most reliable for an overclocked system. Also up the PCI-E voltage one notch and see if that helps.

Rest assured it's the board having problems. If you have upped the voltage on the NB I would be very careful, touch the heatsink while the system is running, my betting is that's its pretty darn hot, you may be overheating the chip causing the PCI-E problem. That's all I can suggest for now. I certainly can't reliably go over 450 FSB with my rev1.0 board because the NB is just too hot with the stock cooling. Hope this gives you some new things to try.

Back