• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 2.8F

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coxy

Hey all, Nice forum, However i've search and searched, and can't find anything on My cpu.

-according to CPU-z-

Its a intel northwood, 2.8 800mhz FSB, and Family F....F!!!

I cant find anything on 2.8F.

If i wanted to go about overclocking it how would i so?

(im not new to overclocking, in the days of my old amd k62s juts new to over clocking this beast)

Many many thanks,

Coxy

what mobo is it and download cpuz and that will tell you what your cpu is i very much doubt it is a " f " as it only goes up to " e " or " ee " and the new chips are named completly differnent plaese post your sys spec mobo,ram cpu etc

The family F means P-4. What does CPU-Z say for revision and stepping? Here is a CPU-Z screenie of my Prescott 3.0E D0 stepping (see farther down for a Northwood CPU-Z screenshot). {Post edited to correct a mistake}

Prescott+D0+4+gig.JPG

Last edited:
Im on a
gigabyte 8KNXP Mobo,
800Mhz FSB,
2gb Crucial RAM
2x Sata 80gb
Radeon pro 9800
Antec True Control PSU

sceenie of my CPU-z

SCREENSHOT HERE

Attachments

• cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 321
batboy said:
It's a Prescott 2.8E. The family F means Prescott. What does CPU-Z say for revision and stepping? Here is a CPU-Z screenie of my Prescott 3.0E D0 stepping.

Prescott+D0+4+gig.JPG

You were wrong its a northwood batboy

orionzbelt1 said:
You were wrong its a northwood batboy

We are both wrong! Family F apparently means P-4. Model 2 is Northwood and model 3 is Prescott. Here is a screenie from my 2.4C Northwood. What is the L2 cache? That will tell the story.

M0-cpuz-cpu-3700.jpg

so its a P-4. Model 2 is Northwood ??

If thats so, How would i go about overclocking it? not much, just a couple 00mhz at most.

Many thanks lads.

Coxy

Sheesh... a guy can't even be wrong once around here... LOL. Ok, I corrected my earlier post.

Family F = P-4
model 2 = Northwood
model 3 = Prescott
I'm assuming model 1 = Willamette

hmm, My bios doesn't have an option to up the FSB ?

So im taking it i gotta get dirty and go to the jumper route on the Mobo?

um no i don't think there are jumper settings like that anymore... well mine doesn't anyway. what mobo do you have? intel boards don't allow overclocking.

Coxy said:
Im on a
gigabyte 8KNXP Mobo

This is his mobo, so I'm 99% sure it will O/C. Cycle through the CPU clock speed BIOS settings and see if there is a "user define" option.

Oh he has a D1, good luck getting a good o/c out of it ;)

THOUGH, I have heard that some do good at o/cing. We'll see? :D

batboy said:
This is his mobo, so I'm 99% sure it will O/C. Cycle through the CPU clock speed BIOS settings and see if there is a "user define" option.

oops i thought i saw this in the thread, but i must have missed it when i was looking when i posted. well i can say im 100% sure the mobo overclocks. *points to sig*. it should be under something like CPU Frequency or something like that.

Family F is Netburst architecture. Model is as follows:

0 = Willamette
1 = Willamette modified to reach 2 GHz (D0 and E0 revisions)
2 = Northwood
3 = Prescott
4 = Prescott with Enhanced SpeedStep & Thermal Monitor 2 enabled and No-eXecute protection capabilities (but only with PAE enabled - sucks) (E0 revision)

Also there are some exceptions like:
F11 = FosterMP
F22 = Gallatin A0
F25 = Gallatin B1 (or M0)
F26 = Gallatin C0 (core with 4MB L3 cache)

stan03 said:
oops i thought i saw this in the thread, but i must have missed it when i was looking when i posted. well i can say im 100% sure the mobo overclocks. *points to sig*. it should be under something like CPU Frequency or something like that.

Nice, same board.

I went into the bios and changed the 'CPU Host frequency'

Only by 1 increment, Then the computer faild to POST

So i had to clear the cmos.

Stan03, Whats the best way.

Also, Many thanks for the info/help lads. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Stan03, I was just looking at your sys spec again, and its quite trippy how similar our setups are.

Im radeon 9800 pro (its a shaphire one)
I've got 2x maxtor 80GB SATA's
one of my soundcards is an audigy 2 (i got x2 sc's)
I've got the Xasar case (blue one)
and im using an antiec true control PSU.
oh and the MOBO also :)

Lol,

DamienKC said:
Oh he has a D1, good luck getting a good o/c out of it ;)

THOUGH, I have heard that some do good at o/cing. We'll see? :D

Almost all 800 bus Northwoods with the exception of a few M0 stepping 2.4C and 2.8C CPUs are D1 steppings. They are good.

Coxy said:
Nice, same board.

I went into the bios and changed the 'CPU Host frequency'

Only by 1 increment, Then the computer faild to POST

So i had to clear the cmos.

Stan03, Whats the best way.

Also, Many thanks for the info/help lads. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Stan03, I was just looking at your sys spec again, and its quite trippy how similar our setups are.

Im radeon 9800 pro (its a shaphire one)
I've got 2x maxtor 80GB SATA's
one of my soundcards is an audigy 2 (i got x2 sc's)
I've got the Xasar case (blue one)
and im using an antiec true control PSU.
oh and the MOBO also :)

Lol,

whoa, that is pretty crazy :D

ok well make sure you have your PCI and AGP slots locked. they should have been locked by default, but check just in case. lower your memorry ratio to the smallest number i think its 1.66 or something, i haven't fiddled around with my bios for a while. the fsb should be set at 200. try rasing it to 205 and see if the computer boots.

read this http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=83663 it should help alot. if you run into any problems post back here or contact me on aim or something. good luck

Back