• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium 2 won't run at 100 fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikee55

Registered
Seasons Greetings Y'all,

Can anyone tell me why my sons Pentium 2 Slot 1 CPU, won't run at 100mhz FSB? The motherboard has a Jumper for it and its adjustable in Bios.I can't remember the board name and its a non Dell board in a Dell case, thats a pig to open. But I can't see any reason for it to not run at 100 fsb. The proccessor is an MMX PII 333mhz version and when the bus is changed to 100 it posts at some 500mhz and hangs. I can't be accurate because I was last working on it 3 weeks previous and didn't get round to posting sooner. The PC is a jumble of parts from other machines, the memorey is SDRAM and it has 2 sticks of 128 mb at PC100 and a 64mb stick at PC133. So I take it the memorey is all at PC100 havin been told this. It has a Voodoo3 AGP card in it, an Advance ALS4000 soundcard and a recent 10/100 network card installed.

Can you tell me what to do?

Cheers mikee55:beer:

The P-II 333 is not a 100 FSB processor. It runs at a default 5X66=333. I doubt those earlier P-II's will do 500 FSB with air cooling (5X100).

Thanks for replying so fast

Hi, thanks. Is there anything I can do to boost the machine? If I try and clock it up to nearer 400mhz by using the Bios it hangs. I think this might be to do with the PCI clock.If I remember right the Bios gives an option to clock at 86 and 77, somthing like that. Maybe its not worth pushing it. He has a DVD Rom installed and although XP will let him read data from it, it won't let him watch his movies. This is the main reason for a boost. When you play a DVD film, it suffers from sync issues. I think you're supposed to have at least a 500mhz cpu minimum. So I've converted some of the films to DivX, in itself a nightmare for my Athlon 1800 (1553) and 8 hours plus for a conversion. Funnily enough he can't play a CDRom with a DivX on it, so I have to copy it onto his HDD, also he has sync issues if he tries to watch a movie on my HDD over my wired LAN. So my PC runs flat out for 8 hours, no one can use it for it slows even more, then I copy the film onto his Pc so he can watch it.
So, can I overclock it with out it hanging by using some extra cooling?, or do you have any other ideas? Oh, by cranking up the buffer in Windows media player did not help. The missus won't let me overclock the Athlon either , although I have a case fan blowing directly behind the cpu which has helped shave 8degs C off of its temp. If performance can be had for gaming, it must be available for video performance too.

Cheers :beer:

Mikee55

Raising the FSB also increases the PCI bus. If that motherboard has a 75 FSB setting, use it (375 MHz clock speed). Anything more than that might decrease stability. Running all that video stuff on an obsolete system will be a challenge. Probably time to upgrade.

Cheers Batboy

What would be the best way to cool a slot 1 cpu? Its stock fan is a bit small as it is, I'm not sure how you'd go about cooling it because its a cartridge type and not like the usual square heatsink.
Do you know what else can be done to improve video encoding. I can't seem to find much info on it, and as upgrades are not an option at the mo, DIY with fans is as much as I can do. I understand cooling a hdd only prolongs its life rather than improve performence. On my main system with the Athlon, I have a Microstar mini atx board stock heatsink and fan, I bored a hole into the case directly behind the skt A cpu and have a fan blowing at that. I have cut away the vent holes on the psu case to allow more airflow over the heatsink inside the psu, and the fan guard at the opposite end has been cut away to allow no restriction for the exhaust air from inside the case. The psu fan blows a warm breeze into the room. My case is from a Tiny PC, and I'm not sure about the intake of air being up to much seing as the slots at the base underneath the front panel is met with carpet, I should raise the front feet.There is room for a front fan and Im not sure if it would be any good unless I cut a hole in the front of the case. On the bus I have a Creative Live 24/96 soundcard, an MSI nVidea AGP card with 64mbDDR ram, a Kworld Expert PVR/TVR capture card, a 5 port USB2.0 card and finaly a 160GB hdd C: at 78 gb for XP sp2 and apps, and partion D: at 70gb for media files, basicaly storage. Oh and a Liteon DVD Dual layer writer. No floppy installed,( I suppose air intake happens at this slot where the drive used to be),but the hdd is mounted in its place.
What do you think??

Cheers:beer:

Mikee55

To be honest, theres probably not much you can do with it. The early pentium II's weren't great overclockers. Best bet would be to pick up a dirt cheap P3 MB and CPU off ebay and stick it in the case.

Take a side panel off and use a house fan to blow air into the case if you want more cooling.

Having more RAM might help video encoding a little. Look around, maybe you can find a cheap P-II 400/450 or P-III 500. I think the early P-III slot 1 processors will work on your mobo, but not the later Coppermine versions.

Lots of us "senior members" have "old" components piled up in "junk" boxes. For example, I think maybe I still have an old Abit BH6 and Celeron 566 (would do 850 MHz) and/or Celeron 600 with a bunch of old mismatched SDRAM collecting dust in the closet.

I was going to suggest posting an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds here on the forum, but I noticed you don't have 100 posts yet (which unlocks that feature). If you lived here in the states, I'd just give you some of my old toys to play with (my wife has been bugging me to get rid of some clutter).

Thanks Batboy

for your kind offer, but being as I'm in the UK, postage would probably be hefty, how much do you reckon it would cost to ship a cpu over?
I did try the office fan that we have, effective though it was at reducing heat, it didn't do enough to increase conversion times. Plus, the Pc is in the kitchen and we have a rugrat who loves playing with wires and plugs.
If I could find an alternate method of cooling, what difference could it make? I've read of cpu's being cooled to 0 degrees, and lower. I understand that overclocking does produce a lot of heat and you "cool" to help the system operate at a normal temperature that is within its capable range. Obviously if a chip heats up it slows down, so overclocked or not would cooling a chip below its operating temperature speed things up regardless.I mean, if a 1ghz cpu is idleing, its 1ghz, but is it still 1 ghz when XP loads to desktop, then say antivirus comes on, then say you load Dr DivX OSS to convert your DVD to a DivX file, do you still get 1ghz to do the conversion?( anti virus can be disabled). Then once conversion begins, whatever is loading the cpu causes it to heat up, for 8 hours or so. This heat causes it to slow the process down.So whether gaming, converting or whatever, naturally the cpu slows. So would force cooling the cpu below normal help in this case. My Athlon 1800(1533)runs at 45 degsC idle at room temp. If I max the cpu to 100% it shoots up to about 60 degsC , with the second fan blowing behind the cpu being turned on, the temp drops to about 52 degsC and 30 degsC at idle. So what would happen if I could force it to say 10 degsC, and if no-one knows, should I try it?

Sorry for rambling on.

Cheers, and Happy New Year:beer:

Mikee55

I doubt better cooling would actually increase video encoding performance. We generally improve cooling to allow us to use a higher overclock (which does increase speed).

Well, I'd like to overclock but....

...I've had 2 Pcs fail within 6 months due to various hardware issues. First I was given a mobo from someone who said it was ok, just needed my cpu put in it. It didn't work and when I returned the cpu it killed my mobo.Then I had a spike from a fan kill my new mobo, taking cpu and an 80gig hdd and the psu with it,oops! So to overclock could be risky.

Never the less, it would be great to only overclock when converting video, then go back for normal usage. What do you think?

Cheers:beer:

Mikee55

Sure, no reason to run overclocked all the time if you don't need the extra speed all the time.

That AMD system you mentioned in your last post should do better than the P-II.

Hi Batboy

Quick, whilst her indoors ain't looking.Where do I begin?

Cheers Mike

Ps did you get attachment?

Attachments

• Bios.JPG
    Bios.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
Sorry

Attachment obvious. Anyways, I guess I'll need to know about voltages before I can dial in a new clock speed.

Cheers Mike

A look at the database shows

a possible increase of 147 mhz. Is that the most I can expect?

Cheers mike

Attachments

• database.JPG
    database.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 53
Back