• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Perfect Ram Timing Rule

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dick66482209

Disabled
Perfect Ram Timing Rule For Extreme Overclocked Timings Where You Have To Change Every Single Timing So The RAM Operates Without RAM Timing Errors: 1.TRAS=TCL+TRCD+TRP 2.TRC=TRAS+TRTP 3.TWR=TRTP+TCL 4.TFAW=TRRD+TWTR+TCWL+TRTP 5.Ratio Rule for TCL-TRCD-TRP is 9-10-8 (Cl Lowest-TRCD Highest-TRP Middle) and all of these 3 timing will not work if any one of them is 1-+ or 2+- out of the ratio or if any number out of the two is higher than TRCD RAM will only boot up and work if TRCD is higher or equal to the other two timing example 9-9-9 but if TRP or TCL is higher than TRCD then will not work (6-4-6) (Also download mem test and full load ram to make sure it is stable http://www.mediafire.com/download/emtw9srlcqcnzq9/memtest.exe) (Benchmark and test your RAM too see the performance change of RAM http://www.mediafire.com/download/x99989j5e89etj9/MaxxMEM2_preview.exe)

Last edited:
Perfect Ram Timing Rule: 1.TRAS=TCL+TRCD+TRP 2.TRC=TRAS+TRTP 3.TWR=TRTP+TCL 4.TFAW=TRRD+TWTR+TCWL+TRTP Also download mem test and full load ram to make sure it is stable
It would be appropriate to back this up with proof. What tests have you done to verify this?

It would be appropriate to back this up with proof. What tests have you done to verify this?

thideras, if you have a looksy of the other threads this person has started proof has been asked for and never received. Certainly seems like a troll that is just looking to stir the pot.

1.TRAS=TCL+TRCD+TRP 2.TRC=TRAS+TRTP 3.TWR=TRTP+TCL 4.TFAW=TRRD+TWTR+TCWL+TRTP (if you push the ram too hard super low tight high performance timings then you need some voltage DDR3 any kind of model can do 1.92V max or even more but make sure you go slowly and try 1.7V or 1.8V first or if it is too over the voltage limit it will fully kill your ram same goes with overvoltage in other computer parts) some timintgs like these require you to try slowly and guess the settings or go with original you need to make sure and try the TCL TRCD, TRP and some other timings Timings if they are not too low then the ram will boot up and run (too high or doesn't apply to ram rule will also make it fail to work) (normaly cl is lowest and then other timings should go into the calculation of the rule 1,2,3,4 if you watch these two websites they show you two rules in ram timing normaly if it dosen't fit into my 4 rules then ram might be unstable but will still run and full load http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/ddr3-memory-timings-explained http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings (FROM wiki Notes:
RAS : Row Address Strobe
CAS : Column Address Strobe
TWR : Write Recovery Time, the time that must elapse between the last write command to a row and precharging it. Generally, TRAS = TRCD + TWR.
TRC : Row Cycle Time. TRC = TRAS + TRP.) and from msi (keep the tRAS = CL + tRCD+tRP (+/-1))

based on what ?

This is based on your original ram timings is like if it is 11(TCL)-11(tRCD)-11(TRP)-28(TRAS) then you can apply my rule sometimes even the manufactures do not have perfect settings for their stock timings and if you apply my 4 ram rules it will make your ram faster load smoother and much more stable, lots of performance gain if you know and try to put the timings lower and overclock it but make sure you learn how to reset bios before you try to do anykind of overclocking or your computer will not boot up if settings are not perfect and then you might need to waste money on fixing it, also use an calculator it will help allot and save you time for calculating

Also when your in BIOS you will forget the rule unless you always overclock the RAM timings and memorized it, Even I have a piece of paper of my perfect ram timing rule before I overclock my ram timings

http://www.mediafire.com/download/emtw9srlcqcnzq9/memtest.exe Also heres the sofware to test your RAM but will only load 2GB max but you can load 8 of them if you have 8 cores and only 4 if you have only a 4 core cpu and only 2 mem test software can run if you only have 2 cores (Doesn't need to hit over 60% RAM usage to make sure it is stable if you load 4GB or more its already enough to test if it is stable) (make sure your other Overclock settings also work like FSB and CPU frequency and voltage or you will fail too boot up or test the ram properly because other settings like CPU will make your system crash)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a very hard time understanding what you are posting.

Doesn't need to hit over 60% RAM usage to make sure it is stable if you load 4GB or more its already enough to test if it is stable
There are a couple problems with your testing method. You shouldn't be testing from an installed operating system as you have a chance of corruption should there be memory instability. Additionally, there will be more memory in use by the operating system that can not be tested, unlike when running a bootable Memtest disk. Secondly, you do need to test all of your RAM. If you only test a portion and find that is stable, you have memory chips that are going untested. This runs the chance of memory corruption since you haven't done testing on them.

I'm having a very hard time understanding what you are posting.

There are a couple problems with your testing method. You shouldn't be testing from an installed operating system as you have a chance of corruption should there be memory instability. Additionally, there will be more memory in use by the operating system that can not be tested, unlike when running a bootable Memtest disk. Secondly, you do need to test all of your RAM. If you only test a portion and find that is stable, you have memory chips that are going untested. This runs the chance of memory corruption since you haven't done testing on them.
Thanks if your RAM is not stable it will not even boot up BIOS or when you are loading windows half way it will reboot or crash, if it boots into windows and your logged in just do a RAM test with MEMTEST to make sure it will load full loading the ram (getting it over 70% or test more than 2gb of ram will make sure that your ram is stable and will work 24/7 or full loading with games and software can also make sure it runs) (if your leaving it on over night make sure you don't leave it on an extreme voltage that might not work and when you wake up it might be dead after that all night idle)

Also when I said it will increase RAM performance and it will be smoother It is because that when your RAM timing is perfect RAM errors will lower and the whole RAM will run faster and smoother and RAM will be even faster when you overclock and lower the first few timings and then apply the rule (9-11-8-28)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x99989j5e89etj9/MaxxMEM2_preview.exe Also use this when you have extreme timings and or RAM Frequency increase you will get allot of increase in RAM speed (but normally RAM speed is useless having enough RAM like 16GB or 32GB 1333RAM is better than 8GB 2133RAM and way cheaper) (RAM speed doesn't help mostly you need more GB to load more programs without lagging once RAM usage goes over 60% will decrease in performance and when it hits over 90% your computer will lag or fully freeze until you close some programs and RAM usage drops below 90%)

The two software I gave you to the link are designed to use in windows not to boot and create a DISC (USE in windows) http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9...M2_preview.exe http://www.mediafire.com/download/em...q9/memtest.exe

Doesn't matter if your testing in windows or not just needs to load hard and you know that it is stable and still running, normaly even if windows fail or crash because of OC it will not corrupt (only files or data will courpts when you are loading or installing it then your computer crashes or shuts down) Thats why I have made just one partition 50GB just for windows and 17000GB left just for files and I back up them onto external seagate usb hdd nice and handy so dosen't matter how hard your computer crashes (I am using RAID 0 5xHDD 220MB/S per HDD 920MB/S 5xHDD and if I lose one hdd or break one hdd i lose every data files get written onto 5HDD so it loads 5x faster) (about 90% read speed per HDD performance gain nearly 5x higher load speed) ( if RAID card is good then you get 95-99%read speed gain per HDD)

The only problem with your theory is that every IC is acting in slightly different way. High density and low density IC are acting in different way. Even chipsets are changing the way memory is working so no one is making rules about setting memory timings. Some timings supposed to work within some values but that's all.
Even if memory is passing memtest , it doesn't mean it's stable. Sometimes memory which passed memtest is still causing bluescreens from time to time.
There are too many variables to make clear rules.

Like your 1st rule that doesn't work with nearly all memory on the market:
You say TRAS=TCL+TRCD+TRP is optimal but for example most Samsung kits are working best on low tRAS ( 21-28 ) and it looks more like 8-9-9-21 or 9-10-10-26 or 9-11-11-26.
The same for most popular Hynix IC looks more like 11-13-12-34 or 11-13-13-35 so generally tRAS = (tCL+tRCD+tRP ) -2
Anyway tRAS is almost not changing performance. Too low or too high value can cause some instability, that's all.
Your 2nd rule ... you know there is no way to set tRC on most available boards and Intel doesn't even have this setting ? To gain additional performance you actually lower it to the point it causes instability and add +2-3 to get optimal performance/stability ( also here IC makes a difference ).
I don't remember exactly about tFAW but it was more like you can't set it too low and some boards don't like too high values ( I've never seen any special difference setting it +/-5 ).

If you have any theory then really best if you show some results in popular benchmarks etc. I'm not saying that everything is totally wrong but it looks more like you took it from some website without testing even one of these settings.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if your testing in windows or not just needs to load hard and you know that it is stable and still running
As I clearly stated in my previous post, the bootable version of Memtest takes up less RAM and will test all the available RAM. Using less RAM for the OS and allows you to stress test more memory.

Thanks if your RAM is not stable it will not even boot up BIOS or when you are loading windows half way it will reboot or crash
Sorry, but you are flat out wrong. The system can be stable enough to load the operating system, but fail while doing certain tasks. Also, you could have unstable memory chips on the RAM that you haven't tested. This will make the system appear stable and crash under load or while doing certain tasks. As I mentioned before, you have to test all the RAM.

A couple of things:
1) Stop posting/responding multiple times. Just respond once and edit it if you need.
2) Start backing up your claims instead of spewing information. If you continue to post like you have, this thread is done. I gave you a warning privately, but you obviously aren't listening.

Don't expect us to blindly accept any information that goes against the "norm" without proof. If your method is perfect, show us.

The only problem with your theory is that every IC is acting in slightly different way. High density and low density IC are acting in different way. Even chipsets are changing the way memory is working so no one is making rules about setting memory timings. Some timings supposed to work within some values but that's all.
Even if memory is passing memtest , it doesn't mean it's stable. Sometimes memory which passed memtest is still causing bluescreens from time to time.
There are too many variables to make clear rules.

Like your 1st rule that doesn't work with nearly all memory on the market:
You say TRAS=TCL+TRCD+TRP is optimal but for example most Samsung kits are working best on low tRAS ( 21-28 ) and it looks more like 8-9-9-21 or 9-10-10-26 or 9-11-11-26.
The same for most popular Hynix IC looks more like 11-13-12-34 or 11-13-13-35 so generally tRAS = (tCL+tRCD+tRP ) -2
Anyway tRAS is almost not changing performance. Too low or too high value can cause some instability, that's all.
Your 2nd rule ... you know there is no way to set tRC on most available boards and Intel doesn't even have this setting ? To gain additional performance you actually lower it to the point it causes instability and add +2-3 to get optimal performance/stability ( also here IC makes a difference ).
I don't remember exactly about tFAW but it was more like you can't set it too low and some boards don't like too high values ( I've never seen any special difference setting it +/-5 ).

If you have any theory then really best if you show some results in popular benchmarks etc. I'm not saying that everything is totally wrong but it looks more like you took it from some website without testing even one of these settings.

Excuse me this method is specially made and tested for extreme overclocked timings where you have to fully reset and change all of the timings for it to even be able too boot up BIOS example 9-9-9-24RAM 1333 OC to 2400 or 2133 with 11-14-13-38 or even tighter timings like 10-12-9-31 and then other timings stetted according to the rule or it will not work or function properly

Yes your right too high settings can cause instability but normally when your overclocking every timing changed the first 3 timings to custom then you should use my rule and apply it nice and easy to OC (Also you need to try and make sure that it boots up with the overclocked first 3 timings if it is too high or too low too fast or too slow or not correct RAM timing rule then it will cause the whole computer to fail to boot up (even if you have used my rule)BIOS and then you have to reset BIOS (normaly CL is Middle TRCD is highest and TRC is the lowest in the first 3 timings ) (CL9-11TRCD-8TRC) or (CL9-11TRCD-9TRC) CL and TRC are both low timings in the first 3 timings and the middle one (CL-(TRCD)-TRC) is the highest out of all first 3 timings

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734279 http://valid.canardpc.com/2854077 (1600 OC 2006 9-11-8-9) To give you an Idea of how an perfect first 3 timings should look like CL-TRCD-TRC (the 9-11-8-28 perfect one should look like this though this was before I found out about the RAM timing rule) http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl RAM voltage is 2.46V
RAM has no mods and is running on stock heat sink and now its still running with my other two 1866 RAM running at 1866 at normaly timings at 1.94V

Learn to use the edit button please, I grow tired of merging your posts...

EDIT: Seriously, you did it again? No more chances.

Last edited:
1. TRC=TRAS+TRTP
2. any kind of model can do 1.92V max or even more
3. if your RAM is not stable it will not even boot up BIOS or when you are loading windows half way it will reboot or crash

1. I set my tRC this way but I calculate tRAS by CLx3. Is it perfect? I don't know.
2. What's your source for this?
3. You should right down the procedure for repairing the MBR if your not going to test your RAM in DOS first.

1. I set my tRC this way but I calculate tRAS by CLx3. Is it perfect? I don't know.
2. What's your source for this?
3. You should right down the procedure for repairing the MBR if your not going to test your RAM in DOS first.

No its not the TRC will be too high out of normal or perfect timing and will cause lots of RAM errors or even make you fail too boot up BIOS because of a high TRC I recommend 2. TRC=TRTP+TRAS or 2.1 TRC=CL+TRAS (method 2.1TRC=CL+TRP should be a slow poke rubbish RAM timing for RAM manufactures only to give the RAM enough space too breath and then the whole RAM timing would be just not correct and out of the perfect timing) Or method (2.2 TRC=TRAS+TRP or TRC or TRAS+CL) would give the RAM optimal room to breath like slow poke RAMs for noobs I still highly recomend rule 2. TRC=TRAS+TRTP other rules are wasting your time, heart and passion for you and your RAMS

Back