• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PERFECT Shroud for the Chevette HCore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

I got 2 square tupperware containers from Target for .99 each. They are rubbermade and had a white lid. They were in the tupperware isle and purchased as singles.

They fit the 86 chevette heater core PERFECTLY! They basically just snap on and off with ease once they are prepared.

I cut the fan hole out of the bottom by putting the fan and the table, the tupperware on top (how it would sit when fully connected) and drew on the inside with a perm marker. Cut it out with a utility knife by making about 4 passes with firm but not brute force pressure.

Then I cut off the lip portion that would hold the lid on. Basically, I set the container upside down and cut straight down to remove the lip but none of the shroud portion.

This left an area at the top (about 1.4 inch) that flared open slightly. I pushed this over the heater core and it is tight enogh to hold itself (with fans) on, but was still fairly easy to attach. There is a little (very little) room for air to escape around the sides, but I am going to see if it effects performance before I fix it.

Last edited:
I'd like to see them too. I'll also host them for you if insigma can't for some reason, just pm me.

I sent them to iNSiGM, they should be up any minute

I think I need to get a new case though now. My wife will love that (since I just got a new case a couple months ago). I didnt think I would get a water rig when I got it, so I didnt consider that in my purchase.

Here are those Pics of his.

matt_shroud.jpg

matt_shroud_2.jpg

Sheeit! Sweet fit too man! I need to go pick up some of these.

Wow, those are the perfect size. Add some weather stripping and you got a somewhat perfect sealed shroud :thup: I think its time for a new tupperware shroud How-to ;)

Dang, that looks good...

Any more specifics on the exact container? I think I'll go pick one up.

It is rubbermaid for sure. I dont have an item number or anything but if you look in the tupperware section at target, it will be obvious which one to get. Its square and about 2.5-3 inches deep. There is a square pattern on the bottom that lets a 120 fan sit in it just perfectly. They provide 100% fan exposure, 0% is blocked in any way.

I couldnt get it to fit on the HC with the lip on it (where the lid attaches). I cut off the lip off but left the flair portion which you can see in the pic. The flair is the area that fits (perfectly) over the edges of the heater core.

Soja: I am going to see if it even needs to be sealed. The amount of air that can leak will be minimal and since the outter edge use part of a cooling fin, I am hoping that the airflow is either beneficial or negligable.

Ill keep you updated with any more results and if anyone wants more pics, let me know.

hmmm. the only problem i see is that the shroud is THICK... you can't really fit this in a case with a nice big video card :)

looks great though.. i picked up some pos rubbermaid containers and they are crappy on my heatercore..

max

Just lay a bead of aquarium sealant all the way around to keep them on there. Serves 2 purposes... attaching and air tight. Aquarium sealant is easy to work with.

Back