• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

performance difference 1600 vs 1400 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

Well my motherboard is being a butt and wont let me up the volts for my memory to 1.65 like it should be. stuck at 1.5v. so system will have BSOD when memory is at 1600MHz. I emailed ASRock about it. H77M board.

My memory should run at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 CR= 2T 1.65v
I have it stable at 1400MHz 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5v

Think I may try and drop the tRAS a bit

recommendations? Think there will be a performance loss??? thinking a bit...

Performance drop depends on what you're doing (games, encoding, benchmarks, etc).

More likely than not, you won't notice anything outside of benchmarks.

Performance drop depends on what you're doing (games, encoding, benchmarks, etc).

More likely than not, you won't notice anything outside of benchmarks.

Gaming is the only thing I do that would require a high demand from the system.

Unless you're on an AMD APU, don't sweat it at all.

haha!! no! Running an i3-3220 with a 6870.

I know those apu's need faster memory, especially when using their built in graphics.

Try any beta bios if you find it. If not then probably ASRock support will give you link or just send bios if they have any.
If not then just ask them if they have or if they can make any bios like that.
Usually it takes about a month till there is new release but at least their bios support is working good comparing to some other brands ( I won't point out ASUS ... oh, I already did ;) )

Emailed ASRock? Have fun and good luck with that odyssey. I'm yet to get an answer from them and my P67 Extreme4.

I should tell you that ASRock Beta BIOS are a bad thing. There's a big chance something will die and I speak from experience.

When you highlight the DRAM Voltage option, and using the +/- keys on the KeyPad, you can't change the voltage to 1.65V?

I'm pretty sure, under the XMP, there is no options to change voltage, just timings and speed, so I leave it to "auto", the only other profile is "default", and that says 1600MHZ at 1.5v. Below the XMP profile there is DRAM voltage. was default at 1.5. I set to 1.65 and saved BIOS. Its is showing up as 1.65 in BIOS but when I boot to windows, cpuz is saying 1.5v. I have the latest cpuz. others versions say the same thing.

I'm not sure if its something funny with the memory not reading the 1.65v or motherboard. memory is Team Xtreem Dark Series - model - TXD38192M1600HC9DC-D

i will post pics later

Last edited:
Emailed ASRock? Have fun and good luck with that odyssey. I'm yet to get an answer from them and my P67 Extreme4.

I should tell you that ASRock Beta BIOS are a bad thing. There's a big chance something will die and I speak from experience.

For every mail that I sent to ASRock I had to wait max 2 days with response. For every question I got satisfying answer. Every BIOS that I got was working good. Their support didn't waste time on stupid questions, just tried to solve issue.
I had 5x P67 ASRock boards and all were running on beta and official bioses without bigger issues. Only problem is that ASRock P67 boards have no recovery option in BIOS.
If BIOS dies then they offer chip replacement and they send you info how to remove chip and send to their support ( or just send all board ).
Really I haven't seen better board support ... or I just had a lot of luck ( about 10 times ? ).

For every mail that I sent to ASRock I had to wait max 2 days with response. For every question I got satisfying answer. Every BIOS that I got was working good. Their support didn't waste time on stupid questions, just tried to solve issue.
I had 5x P67 ASRock boards and all were running on beta and official bioses without bigger issues. Only problem is that ASRock P67 boards have no recovery option in BIOS.
If BIOS dies then they offer chip replacement and they send you info how to remove chip and send to their support ( or just send all board ).
Really I haven't seen better board support ... or I just had a lot of luck ( about 10 times ? ).

Then I must be a bad luck magnet. I'm yet to receive an answer about the BIOS they sent me to fix a problem, that bricked the board (couldn't detect ANY NVIDIA GPU).

Then I must be a bad luck magnet. I'm yet to receive an answer about the BIOS they sent me to fix a problem, that bricked the board (couldn't detect ANY NVIDIA GPU).

There are sometimes issues while updating BIOS on these boards. Probably because of bad BIOS chip. Actually, I had the same with one P67 Extreme4 (B2) but it was new board so I got replacement from store where I bought it. ASRock support offered me BIOS chip replacement but I didn't want to wait.

I'm pretty sure, under the XMP, there is no options to change voltage, just timings and speed, so I leave it to "auto", the only other profile is "default", and that says 1600MHZ at 1.5v. Below the XMP profile there is DRAM voltage. was default at 1.5. I set to 1.65 and saved BIOS. Its is showing up as 1.65 in BIOS but when I boot to windows, cpuz is saying 1.5v. I have the latest cpuz. others versions say the same thing.

I'm not sure if its something funny with the memory not reading the 1.65v or motherboard. memory is Team Xtreem Dark Series - model - TXD38192M1600HC9DC-D

i will post pics later

CPU-Z is not showing memory voltage. To check it use board software or something like hardware monitor.
SPD settings in CPU-Z can be wrong as it's reading profiles in older formats.
XMP supposed to set your memory to 1.65V even if you can set anything in BIOS but some boards have problems to read XMP settings or read them in other format like in 1.2 version instead of 1.3 etc ( there is little difference in ns ).

CPU-Z is not showing memory voltage. To check it use board software or something like hardware monitor.
SPD settings in CPU-Z can be wrong as it's reading profiles in older formats.
XMP supposed to set your memory to 1.65V even if you can set anything in BIOS but some boards have problems to read XMP settings or read them in other format like in 1.2 version instead of 1.3 etc ( there is little difference in ns ).

DSC03472.JPG

Yes, you are reading that right. DRAM at 1.165v 1333MHz, NOT 1.65. I set it to see if windows would boot and ran Windows memory diagnostics tool. Ran with no errors. This must show that the memory is not changing from 1.5v. no way it could run that low of voltage.

ASRock got back to me and I don’t think they will help me since my memory isn’t on their support list. Boo ASRock!!!

Last edited:
Back