• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Petition] Nvidia should support VESA Adaptive-Sync / FreeSync

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Or maybe I understood it and disagree with your assertion(s). :)

but it'll be a hard sell if freesync is almost as good for practically no extra cost. The race to the bottom will take over.
I have bold/underlined/italicized the important parts.

I don't think its a great business move, but, I don't see it as doom and gloom. Its not like NVIDIA is living off their Gsync monitor profits. To me, they essentially cater to a different market with that configuration. It is more expensive, reviews seem to prefer what it does/how it works better than freesync...there is a place in the market for a better product. I would guess fewer would use it if they supported both, but again, its not NVIDIA's bread and butter. Would more people quit buying Gysnc monitors than would NOW buy their GPUs if they supported Freesync??? I think that could be a wash... if true, there goes that business case! :shrug:

Here is how it would go down for them.

Why would I buy the overpriced G-Sync monitor instead of getting more or less the same for no additional price?

No G-sync monitors will be sold after that, production will be discontinued.

As a result the people who didn't know anything to begin with about both those techs will think G-Sync sucked (and technologically dumb people is the majority of the population)

It's basically the same thing that has happened with Mantle. Wins whoever manages to stand their ground, and we all know the end of mantle (even if it paved the way for all these newer fancy APIs)

You can't deny they have some smart people there at nvidia, they want you to drool all over their products so that no matter what the price you will find some way to buy it one day.

You can see a similar behaviour with Blizzard and nostalrius (private server) if you know what I am talking about.
Huuuuge outcry for the return of a vanilla server or to keep the private one online. what would have happened if they didn't stand their ground?
Big companies like these cannot be found at fault. it is better for them to look like as***les but at least still in control.

And to that I said:
Would more people quit buying Gysnc monitors than would NOW buy their GPUs if they supported Freesync??? I think that could be a wash... if true, there goes that business case!

I just don't think its a business case. I could be wrong... it is a personal opinion. But that is how I feel it would shake down. IMO you are holding too much stock in how much GSync monitors matter to NVIDIA. I NEVER see this happening, but hey, its worth the 10 seconds to sign this silly petition juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust in case. :)

Or maybe I understood it and disagree with your assertion(s). :)

I have bold/underlined/italicized the important parts.

I don't think its a great business move, but, I don't see it as doom and gloom. Its not like NVIDIA is living off their Gsync monitor profits. To me, they essentially cater to a different market with that configuration. It is more expensive, reviews seem to prefer what it does/how it works better than freesync...there is a place in the market for a better product. I would guess fewer would use it if they supported both, but again, its not NVIDIA's bread and butter. Would more people quit buying Gysnc monitors than would NOW buy their GPUs if they supported Freesync??? I think that could be a wash... if true, there goes that business case! :shrug:

this whas my thought all along, glad you could put it into a more polite way of saying it. :)
think of gsync as something for enthusiasts, they are still going to pay the extra for the better feature.
i know since i already have a freesync monitor i might be more inclined to buy nvidia if i knew it would support it i always play with vsync off so screen tearing is kind of a thing for me and if ive read correctly it will fix that problem with out the issues of vsync and the input delay and whatnot.

Back