• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom x2 555 unlocked still viable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Is the phenom x2 unlocked to a x4 b55 and pc to 3.6 still viable in today's generation? Games mainly.

I was thinking about upgrading but I would need a complete new build to do so. So wondering if it's still enough or would be bottleneck with my ttc 760 or just underperform with current stuff.

A quad core phenom is still a decent gaming chip IMO. See if you could squeeze a few more MHz out of it if you feel it's lagging but you were right to upgrade to the current FX would be a full makeover.

Yeah. Normally I would sell old stuff to help cover cost..but I know current setup isn't worth much anymore. So was just curious on its current performance vs other recent stuff

Get yourself a newer vid card and you'd be fine. Maybe a decent CPU cooler so you can get 3.8 or so. Clock for clock the Phenoms have better performance than the current FX lineup. For Gaming 4 cores is sufficient. You would need to get an FX up to mid 4Gs at least to be the same as a PII at 3.8.It is showing it's age though with limited ram. You need to decide at this point if you plan on upgrading to a new AMD system or switch completely to Intel. Or even how much you're willing to spend??

the 760 is brand new card..just got yesterday to replace the 750 ti because it was disappointment. Yeah the 460 is old, I just haven't updated sig.

the phenom has a zalman 7000 cooler (and AS5) and its hitting 60 with the current setup. So I have no room to OC anymore.

if I were to upgrade, I would probably switch to intel at this point, even though I have had amd for past 15 years or so. But not really looking to spend another 500 to upgrade, as it going to require 6gig ram, new cpu and mobo and a new PSU, as the current 500w wont cut it. So I was just seeing if it was worth it at the moment.

at least I think im reading the right temp..not sure which is actually which.

I just assumed the tmpin0 is cpu because its the one that jumps when under load.
That
s the socket temp, on my 955be my package/core temps were always higher so you may be over 61c. I was able to get my 955 to 4.0 on a CM 212+, the CM 212 Evo is the newer one, if it will fit your case it a pretty cheap upgrade.

one of the main reasons im asking is I picked up wildstar, but im not getting great performance.

on 1080 at medium settings, im getting about 30 fps. Which is just slightly better then the 750 ti, that was giving me about 25. Same with landmark..

However, none of my components hit 100% load. CPU hits around 70%, ram around 80% and GPU around 50%, aftering playing for about an hour..they stay stable around there..but the performance still lacks. So trying to see whats the issue, what may need upgrading..or if needed.

Well I searched up Wildstar and it seems to be a very Cpu bound game. So unless you're able to push the 555 further it may be upgrade time.

but if the game doesn't use 100% CPU..it isn't bottlenecking right?

Long accepted method of determining bottleneck.
If reducing graphics settings does not improve framerate then the CPU's bogged.

If lowering settings does improve performance then the GPU's hitting its ceiling.

There are variable slightly in how that mothodology is performed/interpretted since some games are just not coded worth a shett, but overall the above can pretty well say which is the bottlenecked item be it cpu or gpu.

By the way that zalman 7000 you say you have has many part numbers. Back in 2004 before even the flood of upright coolers by Thermalright and others, the 7000 which ever you have was ranked pretty good, but its' day has long since passed with better cpu coolers now for sure.
RGone...

I see..thats unfortunate.

well what bout the GPU not hitting full load either..seems so weird ;/

time to save I guess

you will not see full CPU usage unless the game uses 4 core, it could only use 2 or 3 cores
in which case you would have a max usage of 50 or 75 percent
if the CPU is close to being enough grab a Hyper 212 cooler and ty to OC some more
if that does not get you the desired results save up for a intel system

Back