• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pixel 6 pro or iPhone 13, your pick & why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pixel 6 pro or iPhone 13, your pick & why

• Pixel 6 pro

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'm looking for a phone that will get years worth of security updates(tired of budget phones) plus delivers top quality features(camera, battery life etc).

Anti Apple here. Aside from that I really like my Pixel phones (except for the finger reader on the 6). Updates generally hit it way before other Android phones and comes with zero of the crap software Androids usually come with. I would wait to get a 7 though.

I've always used Android phones, and am pretty much tied into Google's services, but I can't help but notice the quality of some features with iPhones that is impressive. That, plus that Apple does push out updates and the newest IOS version to as many older devices as is possible. I DON'T like all the confusing ID login to Apple's services(I know I'm not alone); with Android ya just have 2 things- the pin code for your specific device, and affiliation with a gmail account.

Been on the Pixel train since the first generation and on Android since a Galaxy S2 back in the day. Apple has some nice phones, but similarly, I'm pretty tied to Google's store/services/etc. I would also consider waiting to see what the 7 has to offer, FWIW.

My wife and I went with the Samsung Galaxy S22+ and both my boys (young men now) opted for the Pixel 6 Pro. Both phones are top quality. The cameras on both are exceptional. I liked the Samsung just a little more as low light and nighttime pics come out much better. The only drawback I've found with this phone, and my mind is still blown by this, is you need to DL a media player like VLC to play MP4 and MOV files.

I hate Apple, but somehow I bought iPhone 13 Mini some time ago. I like how it works, services and everything else is fine and i wanted better camera in smaller package. A bit annoying are some security options but I can live with that. Worse is their support as basic is 1 year warranty and their support is useless in most cases, unless you have to send them a faulty device for repair. Apple accessories are also overpriced and everything 3rd party but fully compatible is also overpriced.
On the other hand, Google won't offer better support and I have no idea if you can buy any reasonable service pack. Android is fine but it loses support much faster than iOS. Android phones in general are left without updates quite fast because there are way too many new devices released each year. I have no idea what about Google but with Samsung, Xiaomi or other popular brands, you can count on 1-2 years of official OS/firmware updates for most models and nothing more. Some updates are not working correctly, but for higher models you can count on better and more often updates.

The Pixel 6 Pro will have a similar camera quality to iPhone 13 Pro. However, iPhone 13 photos look better when there is worse light or at night. This is one of the reasons why I wanted iPhone as camera specs on paper aren't the best but software and lens cause sharper photos when the light isn't the best. I noticed that some Android phones have much better quality after some software updates, so it may change.

Think that smart phone batteries live for ~2 years. If you get less popular phone then you won't replace anything in 2+ years. Apple keeps standards for longer but any replacement will cost much more than for Android phones.

I see it like no matter which way you pick, you can't count on long years without problems. Apple guarantees high level of OS stability and security. It still doesn't guarantee high hardware quality. A better option seems a cheaper phone but more often replaced so you won't spend as much money but will still have something quite new. For me it's just annoying when I have to move all data and configure a new device more often.

At work we buy almost only Xiaomi as it's not much worse than Samsung but similar specifications are significantly cheaper. All phones bought to last 3 years+ are usually replaced within 2 years because something breaks just after warranty, devices lose stability or signal quality, and there are other issues. No matter what brand or series we pick, there is the same story. Like there is no rule about brand or how much you pay, everything may randomly die. Some series are also hard to fix, so even manufacturers are more often replacing whole phones. Less popular series have limited availability of spare parts and are nearly impossible to fix after warranty.

I guess that my post doesn't answer the main question directly. I will only add that I picked iPhone 13 Mini because I wanted a stable device with good camera and smaller size that easily fits any pocket.

The Pixel 6 Pro will have a similar camera quality to iPhone 13 Pro. However, iPhone 13 photos look better when there is worse light or at night. This is one of the reasons why I wanted iPhone as camera specs on paper aren't the best but software and lens cause sharper photos when the light isn't the best. I noticed that some Android phones have much better quality after some software updates, so it may change.
It is only this last iphone that has caught up with the Pixel camera...Yet there is no way it beats Google "Night Sight" for pics in the dark. The Verges test of a 1000 photos was split 50/50 for the camera's.

It comes down to the photographer at this point.

Back to Tim...If you are interested in a Pixel 5 PM me.

The non-Apple. I hate Apple.

I've been an Android guy from the start. I like the Google phones because updates are immediately availible from Google. I ain't gotta wait for no third party to repackage them. Looking at you Samsung.

Just saw this at our sister site of overclockers.com.au. Thought it fit.
6.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you don't order your iPhone 13 from China, you should be fine :LOL:

On a more serious note, not a fanboy from either by any stretch of the imagination, but the more I use Android, the more I miss Apple, the smoothness, the speed, the simple "it works regardless" is too hard to miss out. If we could use the OS like we do Android (plug it in and use it as USB) and also install any app without jailbreaking, even an SE would be perfect for my uses :attn:

Last edited:
Back