• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning on using 400x200x85 mm rad for 1st build. Is it a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it doesn't matter, as long as the two rad set up or the 85mm rad are given the same equal fan set up

Now you are being specific, if you have said this from the beginning i would have given you reason, but you said:

one rad up top is an alphacool 20mm thick, 240mm rad, and the rad in the front is a 36mm thick 280mm rad, so you could say i've got a 240mm radiator that's 56mm thick, with some excess left over, but twice the face area and hellaciously more air flow going thru the rads

240, 280, or in the user question 400mm rads will not use the same fans...

Go over on the EKWB web and go thru their FAQ section as well as their blog

I have actually build many water cooled systems over the years so i know a thing or two...

To end the matter, if the user chooses to go with the 400x200 to save money there's nothing wrong but of course there are better solutions if he is willing to spend the extra buck and sees it's worth it.

Thanks so much to everyone who gave advice and info. Really top notch posts. The link to the rad showdown on extremerigs was a really good read. Definitely gonna keep this thread updated with the results of build with thermals n such.

I manage houses so this cold front has me working around the clock and sleeping out of town. So I hope to order in the next week and build during the winter school break (so I can include my daughter).

I purchased the 400x200x85mm rad. Im mostly happy with my purchase.

I have a bit of regret not using a 420x140x30mm. The 420x140x30mm can be mounted on top of my case with my 200mm fans mounted below below. Its cleaner, lighter, and the same price.

To me the ideal WC loop doesn't only cool but does it efficiently with the least resources. But for my first build I wanted to prioritize functionality over all else. If the 420x14,0x30mm performs within a 5-10c (w/ both cpu/gpu) of the 400x200x85 then it would of been a better choice. I sometimes get over-obsessed with minute details when it comes to hobbies. So I figured to overshoot on size and worry about size to efficiency ratios when I have more experience

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

My case is the Thermaltake x31 and im using Noctua 200mm PWM fans.

On the website for Thermaltake they dont actually list all the rads it can fit. The 400x200 needs two holes drilled to fit. But the 420x140 fits on top of case perfect while not being listed.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Consider this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-monsta-180mm-dual.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/silv...180mm-case-fan-w-adustable-speed-control.html

This is one of the highest performing 180mm cooling fans you can get and it fits this radiator no problems, you will not need push/pull, one side is all you'll need.

I have a 180mm single Alphacool NexXxos Monsta 86mm thick, and one of these Silverstone fans and there's plenty of airflow out the other side at half the rpm capability.

200mm cooling fans are just not there yet static pressure wise, and that's what you need with the thick core rad, good static pressure!

Yes that is a very ideal build. If I didnt already have so many 200mm fans I would definitely go the route.

Though something interesting on that site is what they say about 85mm rads. They praise them as being highly efficient even not in push/pull and below 800 rpm. I know this is advertising and shouldnt be trusted but they are comparing it to their own rad. So there would be no benefit for them to over-state the 85mm performance when they offer 3 smaller sizes. I went with 85mm because it was on sale, now Im kinda excited with the results they claim.

A 400*200 radiator? Exactly what I'm looking for! I have 4 NF-A20s in hands to that would be ideal in a push-pull configuration. Let me know how the temps are, especially the coolant temp.

I currently am using 4 aircon radiators with are 200*205*45 in size each, works well I have to say but the look is just terrible. Planning to swap them out and get a decent rad thats about the same size as what I currently have.

Bigger the rad, the stronger and louder the fans you will need to reach optimal performance from them. You can't have a thick rad like that and run silent fans. You would have better performance from a rad 1/3rd as thick w/ slow fans. Now if the fans are fast SP in push/pull (required for that thickness) then by all means, but the loud fan noise isn't practical for most people.

You are partially correct about the fan noise and rad thickness relation. The air flow required not only depends on rad thickness, but also largely depends on fin density. All 200mm PC fans are designed to run at around 1000rpm max, which even 2 of them will not be enough move air to cool rad optimally, that's why the coolant will still be above ambient, although the cooling capacity of rad far exceeds the heat output of PC. The good thing about using a rad this big is the passive cooling capability of the rad. If you have it installed in a horizontal position, heat will automatically rise and release from coolant due to large surface area, so sometime the fans won't even need to be turned on, and even if under load, fans can run at minimum RPM most of the times.

Back