• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plastic vs Steel vs Aluminum cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HueyTheGod

What is your preference on what the material of the case is made of? I personally favor a metallic and stable / hard feeling case as I feel like it is something with more effort and protection (Even if that isn't the case). I have also seen some Plastic / Steel cases as well, with a mix of plastic and metal.

Also it would be nice if I were to hear pros and cons of each different type of case.

I hate plastic cases since they just feel cheap no matter who makes them or the actual build quality. I came from an NZXT phantom which I loved at the time until I bought my corsair 650D. I could never go back to a mostly plastic case again because of my experience with an almost all metal case. The next case I get will be a lian like or caselabs no doubt.

I hate plastic cases since they just feel cheap no matter who makes them or the actual build quality. I came from an NZXT phantom which I loved at the time until I bought my corsair 650D. I could never go back to a mostly plastic case again because of my experience with an almost all metal case. The next case I get will be a lian like or caselabs no doubt.

Yeah I have been looking at the 650D, trying to decide which version will go well with which cooling type I want. Water cooling seems like a hastle but an experience as well, so I am stuck.

I love the simplicity of the 650D. It takes one second to open and no thumb screws in the back of the case. It will also fit a dual 140mms rad in top and 120mm in the back. I would say that's good enough for a cpu and gpu(s). I also love the overall clean look of my build with no plastic or crazy angled surfaces. I would buy it again just for the ease of opening the side panels and for the quality.

I love the simplicity of the 650D. It takes one second to open and no thumb screws in the back of the case. It will also fit a dual 140mms rad in top and 120mm in the back. I would say that's good enough for a cpu and gpu(s). I also love the overall clean look of my build with no plastic or crazy angled surfaces. I would buy it again just for the ease of opening the side panels and for the quality.

I am going to be going hard on the hardware though (i7 4700k and 780 with a second planned months after I build this one)

Go with metal. Helps keep the case cooler by taking heat away. Sturdier and last forever until you toss it out of the 12th floor.

I'd prefer to always stick to a metallic case. Something more lightweight, yet still protective.
Currently, I have an Antec DF-85 full tower case, and unfortunately the front of the case is entirely covered in plastic. A few times I've bumped the case, and almost clear snapped off the plastic drivebay covers, or caught one of the front fans, and almost removed it from the unit.
Aside from that though, there is no real difference for me. As long as it's solid I guess.

Metal definitely feels better. I would also like to throw the Fractal Arc Midi (or Mini and Full Tower) into the mix. Extremely solid build with all the necessary features. The only thing I wish it had is a side door that "swings" and then lifts off instead of one that slides toward the rear an inch, then lifts.

Go with metal. Helps keep the case cooler by taking heat away. Sturdier and last forever until you toss it out of the 12th floor.

True this is my second metal case my first witch is 8 years old is still good for another 6 years . I always wanted nice plastic cases but i end up with metal

good luck

Back