• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with beginner RAM questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
Currently I am only running 2gb of RAM in my computer, as 1 of the sticks is being sent back to g.skill to be replaced under warranty (it is shot). So I only have one stick of RAM in my computer atm and I obviously need more...the RAM will be doubled to 4gb total when my other stick is replaced...but my question is this. I currently only have one stick of RAM in so where should it be? My mobo has a total of four slots blue, black, blue, black...when I ran two sticks of RAM I had both sticks in the blue slots... cradles 1 and 3...as I assume this is dual channel correct?

I am currently shopping around as I want to increase my RAM from 4gb up to 12gb most likely...can I run a total of 4 sticks of RAM successfully and at their full capabilities? I assume I would set it up as follows... 2gb stick, 4gb stick, 2gb stick, 4gb stick from left to right. So that the sets of RAM are in the same color slots... I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. Basically I'm currently at 2gb (which cradle should this single stick be in?) but when g.skill is done replacing my old stick Ill be up to 4gb but am looking to add about 8gb more after that for a total of 12gb. Can I run 2x2gb and 2x4gb with perfect stability? And if so do they all have to be the same brand etc?

My mother board: Here
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600

Don't mix and match as it can cause issues. Get rid of the of the old and replace with new.

Wait, just wait...

EarthDog is right, this is experience talking. BUT your situation is kind of perfect, in a way. You already own one stick and are awaiting the replacement of the other, which will bring you back to 4GB. You're also willing to buy an additional 8GB kit (2x4) so that you can reach 12GB. Well go on with it. Worse case, it doesn't work, and you do just what EarthDog advised and buy another 8GB kit of the same type. But if it works, well that's money saved and a replacement that doesn't go to waste. It's a win-win situation, it's not like you would buy that additional RAM for nothing. Even more, if you do have problems mixing them, you could still try with the new 8GB kit only and see how that goes and if it suits your needs then you won't even have to pay for the additional 8GB kit.

However, in order for it to have a chance to work (meaning, the 4GB + 8GB kits), there are some things you want to make sure about. The first being that you are currently running a 64 bit OS. As you may know, 32 bit can't recognize over about 3.41 GB of memory.

Another is that your MoBo's manual is issuing a warning about memory IF you are using a AMD 100-200 series CPU.

And then there's the usual advice, saying something like : You may install varying sizes of memory... system will use the lower-sized channel for dual channel operation... and remap the higher-sized channel for single channel operation. This means that in order for the OS to read the whole 12 GB correctly, you will have to mix them together so that you have 6GB per channel : (4+2)x2. So one of each in the blue slots, one of each in the black slots.

Using varying size also implies something else : that you will buy EXACTLY the same memory you have now, only in a bigger size. Same brand, same frequency, same voltage, same CAS, same everything. So if you thought it was time for an upgrade in memory speed/latency, you have to follow EarthDog advice.

PLEASE do read your motherboard's manual correctly, especially the part about memory configuration, before going on with this. In case of doubt - EarthDog advice, once again!

Wait, just wait...

EarthDog is right, this is experience talking. BUT your situation is kind of perfect, in a way. You already own one stick and are awaiting the replacement of the other, which will bring you back to 4GB. You're also willing to buy an additional 8GB kit (2x4) so that you can reach 12GB. Well go on with it. Worse case, it doesn't work, and you do just what EarthDog advised and buy another 8GB kit of the same type. But if it works, well that's money saved and a replacement that doesn't go to waste. It's a win-win situation, it's not like you would buy that additional RAM for nothing. Even more, if you do have problems mixing them, you could still try with the new 8GB kit only and see how that goes and if it suits your needs then you won't even have to pay for the additional 8GB kit.

However, in order for it to have a chance to work (meaning, the 4GB + 8GB kits), there are some things you want to make sure about. The first being that you are currently running a 64 bit OS. As you may know, 32 bit can't recognize over about 3.41 GB of memory.

Another is that your MoBo's manual is issuing a warning about memory IF you are using a AMD 100-200 series CPU.

And then there's the usual advice, saying something like : You may install varying sizes of memory... system will use the lower-sized channel for dual channel operation... and remap the higher-sized channel for single channel operation. This means that in order for the OS to read the whole 12 GB correctly, you will have to mix them together so that you have 6GB per channel : (4+2)x2. So one of each in the blue slots, one of each in the black slots.

Using varying size also implies something else : that you will buy EXACTLY the same memory you have now, only in a bigger size. Same brand, same frequency, same voltage, same CAS, same everything. So if you thought it was time for an upgrade in memory speed/latency, you have to follow EarthDog advice.

PLEASE do read your motherboard's manual correctly, especially the part about memory configuration, before going on with this. In case of doubt - EarthDog advice, once again!

Wait so what are you saying about my mobo and a warning with the CPU? I will link you to my CPU below and hopefully its okay?

Hm, now I'm kind of scared to put this ram in because this is the first time that I have heard about placing the ram as you say...making the ram totals the same in each channel. I've always thought that each channel should have the same type of ram...and btw "channel" is the same color cradle right? Like my mobo goes blue,black,blue,black so channel one would be the two blue and channel two would be the two black right?

You are saying to mix the ram kits and break them up? So it would go like this in my mobo from left to right (blue,black,blue,black) 2gb,2gb,4gb,4gb ?

Both sets of ram are from the same manufacturer, both ddr3 1660, same CL, same 1.5v, and same timing except the 2x2gb have a "-2N" at the end (you can see on the newegg link) what does the 2N mean? 9-9-9-24-2N
My motherboard: AMD Phenom II x4 955
My current ram-2gb: 2x2gb
Ram purchased-4gb: 4x4gb

Basically, read the manual to see how to try to populate the memory as you wish.

Its honestly not worth adding all of that. Just roll with 4x4GB and make it easy on yourself. :)

Basically, read the manual to see how to try to populate the memory as you wish.

Its honestly not worth adding all of that. Just roll with 4x4GB and make it easy on yourself. :)

Well I honestly think that 16gb is overkill and that it is totally not needed as I dont do anything crazy with PDFs or Paint or whatever... I have already purchased the 2x4gb sticks and these will for sure be used but I also have the 2x2gb sticks and obviously I would like to try to utilize them as I can add an extra 4gb... is it really that troublesome do you think? Same company, same like of ram, timings, CL, voltage etc...just different capacity.

The last line of your previous post said 4x4GB...

It can be that troublesome. Will it be? No idea. Its just easier to roll with the 2x4GB since you wont need more than that anyway.

Oh my mistake it should be 2x4gb ... the link is correct but my hyperlink text is wrong my mistake.

Yeah I feel like the 2x4gb will be plenty for me as well but I mean why not try to utilize an extra 4gb that I have laying around you know? It would almost be a waste of my time and effort to sell the stuff on eBay. I guess I will try and use it, if not just use the 2x4gb

So how should I cradle the ram though? I shouldnt put the same ram in the same channel? Thats what I always thought you were supposed to do, but some are saying to make the channels equal so it'd be 2gb/4gb per channel

Read your manual and see what it says. It can vary by motherboard...

Looked at it and it doesn't say. Just the "higher-sized remapped" thing. Mine says exactly the same thing.

This link is extremely confusing, but if you read it over a couple times and reason through it, you should get the concept of multichannel RAM: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm

I believe you should be, 2GB, 4GB, 2GB, 4GB from left to right. (EDIT: That's what you originally posted, lol.)

That's what I always thought was logical, but I've read plenty of forums of people complaining that installing it this way resulted with the system not recognizing more than (in this example of mixing 2GB and 4GB) 8GB of total RAM. Which is pretty much what the bit about the single-channel operation remap thing is saying in all Asus manuals (and probably others). I'd believe Intel to be right though, meaning that it is probably better to do it this way, and let the system switch between single-channel and dual-channel operation. Also, wasn't there something to do in BIOS so that the system could recognize the remapped RAM and display the total 12GB (in this example, still)?

I've also saw a couple of Solved Threads where people finally tried and use the same amount of memory per channel (2-2-4-4) and the system finally saw the whole amount.

I guess it all comes down to trying it.

I guess it all comes down to trying it.
Which is Wy I voted to just toss in the 2x4GB and call it a day. Its just not worth it (to me) as there are no performance increases anyway.

Oh my mistake it should be 2x4gb ... the link is correct but my hyperlink text is wrong my mistake.

Yeah I feel like the 2x4gb will be plenty for me as well but I mean why not try to utilize an extra 4gb that I have laying around you know? It would almost be a waste of my time and effort to sell the stuff on eBay. I guess I will try and use it, if not just use the 2x4gb

So how should I cradle the ram though? I shouldnt put the same ram in the same channel? Thats what I always thought you were supposed to do, but some are saying to make the channels equal so it'd be 2gb/4gb per channel

It would be nice if you tried both and report back here.

Which is Wy I voted to just toss in the 2x4GB and call it a day. Its just not worth it (to me) as there are no performance increases anyway.

Well, I'm just curious about that, is all. Hence why I suggested to try it anyway and see how it would go. Frankly, I would not even buy a second 8GB kit to go to 16GB, I would just try to use 12, and if not then 8GB is still more than enough in most cases - like you said.

EDIT : But then again, I'm the experimenting kind. If the OP is looking for easy setup, the best to do is to toss the old kit, indeed.

Last edited:
Wait so what are you saying about my mobo and a warning with the CPU? I will link you to my CPU below and hopefully its okay?

Hm, now I'm kind of scared to put this ram in because this is the first time that I have heard about placing the ram as you say...making the ram totals the same in each channel. I've always thought that each channel should have the same type of ram...and btw "channel" is the same color cradle right? Like my mobo goes blue,black,blue,black so channel one would be the two blue and channel two would be the two black right?

You are saying to mix the ram kits and break them up? So it would go like this in my mobo from left to right (blue,black,blue,black) 2gb,2gb,4gb,4gb ?

Both sets of ram are from the same manufacturer, both ddr3 1660, same CL, same 1.5v, and same timing except the 2x2gb have a "-2N" at the end (you can see on the newegg link) what does the 2N mean? 9-9-9-24-2N
My motherboard: AMD Phenom II x4 955
My current ram-2gb: 2x2gb
Ram purchased-4gb: 4x4gb

The 2N is the operational delay, to simplify things. You would have to make sure that both of them have the same, but you can set that in BIOS without a problem - use 2N for both kits.

But listen, if this is troubling you, really just don't bother with it. I have 16GB... yesterday I was encoding a Blu Ray with DVDfab while converting AC3 audio files to WAV. In task manager I was using like 20% of my memory. That equals to roughly 3.2 GB...

Of course Firefox was running like 12 windows, and I was searching music on iTunes.

Holy triple post batman! There is an edit button. :p

Yeah, just not worth the hassle. Most are fine with 8GB so I wouldnt even try, LOL!

I mean yeah I am sure 8gb would be just plenty but I don't want 4gb to go to waste just because I'm being lazy about it, I think I am going to keep the memory as I thought it should be previously and match memory to the channels instead of equaling it all out. So it would be 2gb,4gb,2gb,4gb if that doesn't work I can equal them all out. I mean as long as my system recognizes the full memory its in there and working correct isnt it

Then you have the worry about stability...so no, if its in its great is not the thing. It SHOULD be stable, but there is a decent chance it may not be...

Also, you bought the sticks years ago. That money is spent. It doesnt matter if you use it or not... (havent taken any logic classes have you?). Just like at a restaurant you order all this food and eat it becuase ' you paid for it'. You are paying for it regardless if you eat it all or none of it. ;)

Back