• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with choosing right AIO cooling solution for my rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ariyapl

Registered
Dear Forum Members,

I plan to re-build my PC a bit in the next few days. I will be installing second Asus GeForce 970 GTX Black OC card, running in SLI with the first one as well as changing the power supply unit
and doing some other modifications. I also plan to switch from my BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro3 air cooling to AIO water cooling mostly because:

- BeQuiet air cooling is huge even though it's pretty silent
- it gets in the way of my Kingston HyperX RAM. There's no way I could instal another 2 RAM
modules with heat sinks.
- I want to get better air circulation inside the case (BeQuiet Silent Base 800).
- There's no way I can install a side fan with it

Could you please help me choose a right AIO water cooling for me (it'll be my 1st water cooling, I want
something with good performance and quality).

Models I'm considering:
- Corsair h105 with stock fans changed to Noctua NF-F12 PWM (are the NF-F12 PWM fans good for this cooler
as exchange to the stock ones?)

- Corsair h110i GT but I'm afraid about the leakage problem,\
- NZXT Kraken x61 but I've heard it can get really noisy.
- Swiftech H220
- other models? Could you recommend something else?

I'm running i7 4790k, non O/Cd at the moment but I'd like to OC it to 4,6GhZ after changing the cooling.
I am also very concerned abou noise levels, would like to keep the whole thing as quiet as possible.

Here's the setup I'm imagining:

24d24vt.jpg

I will be very grateful for all your imput and help,

Yours faithfully,

Ari

Hardware configuration:
- Intel i7-4790K CPU
- 16 GB RAM (Kingston HyperX Beast running at 2,4GhZ)
- ASUS Z-97 PRO GAMER Motherboard
- Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA-III HDD
- Samsung EVO 850 256 GB SSD
- Asus DVD/CD RW
- Asus GeForce 970 GTX Black OC x2 in SLI
- Single PCI-e Wi-Fi card
- EVGA SuperNova G2 850 W
- BeQuiet! Silent Base 800 Case
- Corsair h105 cooling with stock fans changed to Noctua NF-F12
- Additional Noctua NF-F12 fan on the bottom (Setup #1) or side (Setup #2)

Dear Forum Members,

I plan to re-build my PC a bit in the next few days. I will be installing second Asus GeForce 970 GTX Black OC card, running in SLI with the first one as well as changing the power supply unit
and doing some other modifications. I also plan to switch from my BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro3 air cooling to AIO water cooling mostly because:

- BeQuiet air cooling is huge even though it's pretty silent
- it gets in the way of my Kingston HyperX RAM. There's no way I could instal another 2 RAM
modules with heat sinks.
- I want to get better air circulation inside the case (BeQuiet Silent Base 800).
- There's no way I can install a side fan with it

Could you please help me choose a right AIO water cooling for me (it'll be my 1st water cooling, I want
something with good performance and quality).

Models I'm considering:
- Corsair h105 with stock fans changed to Noctua NF-F12 PWM (are the NF-F12 PWM fans good for this cooler
as exchange to the stock ones?)

- Corsair h110i GT but I'm afraid about the leakage problem,\
- NZXT Kraken x61 but I've heard it can get really noisy.
- Swiftech H220
- other models? Could you recommend something else?

I'm running i7 4790k, non O/Cd at the moment but I'd like to OC it to 4,6GhZ after changing the cooling.
I am also very concerned abou noise levels, would like to keep the whole thing as quiet as possible.

Here's the setup I'm imagining:

24d24vt.jpg

I will be very grateful for all your imput and help,

Yours faithfully,

Ari

Hardware configuration:
- Intel i7-4790K CPU
- 16 GB RAM (Kingston HyperX Beast running at 2,4GhZ)
- ASUS Z-97 PRO GAMER Motherboard
- Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA-III HDD
- Samsung EVO 850 256 GB SSD
- Asus DVD/CD RW
- Asus GeForce 970 GTX Black OC x2 in SLI
- Single PCI-e Wi-Fi card
- EVGA SuperNova G2 850 W
- BeQuiet! Silent Base 800 Case
- Corsair h105 cooling with stock fans changed to Noctua NF-F12
- Additional Noctua NF-F12 fan on the bottom (Setup #1) or side (Setup #2)

I know it's out of stock, but take a look at this Swiftech unit. It has been greatly improved over the H220, http://www.swiftech.com/H220-X.aspx

@mimart7: I was looking into it but the main problem is that I live in Poland and it's completely unavailable here.

The only thing I can get is corsairs, krakens maybe cooler master. There's ONE company that has H220, but not the X version, unfortunately.

What do you think would be better:

h105 with 2x noctua fans (NF-F12 PWM) or x61 since the price will be almost the same (I will have to pay extra for the fans and they're quite expensive here). I have to admitt I am not much of an overclocker, I'm looking at the solution to get rid of the huge BeQuiet! tower, improve the air flow, get easy access to all the components while keeping the noise level and temps at minimum and running an SLI config with doube GeForce 970 GTX.

I am very scared of leakages though... probably just like everyone who just enters the world of water cooling. Thus I am not very sure of companies like Cooler Master.

Thanks for your reply!

Ari

@mimart7: I was looking into it but the main problem is that I live in Poland and it's completely unavailable here.

The only thing I can get is corsairs, krakens maybe cooler master. There's ONE company that has H220, but not the X version, unfortunately.

What do you think would be better:

h105 with 2x noctua fans (NF-F12 PWM) or x61 since the price will be almost the same (I will have to pay extra for the fans and they're quite expensive here). I have to admitt I am not much of an overclocker, I'm looking at the solution to get rid of the huge BeQuiet! tower, improve the air flow, get easy access to all the components while keeping the noise level and temps at minimum and running an SLI config with doube GeForce 970 GTX.

I am very scared of leakages though... probably just like everyone who just enters the world of water cooling. Thus I am not very sure of companies like Cooler Master.

Thanks for your reply!

Ari

There is nothing wrong with the Kraken. The Corasir is great, too. they are both excellent coolers. While I don't own one, I know people who, and they swear by it. From what I have heard, it can be a little noisy. The Noctua's are excellent fans, and yes they are pricey. Get what costs less, is my advice.

@mimart7:

Actually the price is almost exactly the same. H105 + 2x NF-F12 Fans is 40 PLN (around 10 EUR) cheaper
than x61 Kraken. The only question is the noise and performance. Are these NF-F12 suitable for 105?
Do you think the temperatures will be much higher on h105 compared to kraken? I know Noctua fans
are pricey but I don't mind spending a few more bucks if it gives me lower noise levels.

Maybe someone actually has h105 + noctua fans and could advise?

Or maybe I shouldn't be looking at 280 mm fans like Kraken but Corsair H90? Since I do not play to overclock my CPU more than to 4,6 GHz in boost mode and what I am looking for is:

- get better air flow to cool 2 GPUs
- get another exhaust to support bottom / side fans in cooling the GPUs and CPU

What do you think?

Last edited:
Go for the Swiftech, it's leagues better than any Corsair unit.

I've read people had a lot of problems with the pumps in H220 and there were some serious QC issues like debris in the coolant etc. Is it true?

Swiftech isn't really popular here and the only available pieces are being sold-out at discount price.
Probably the on-line shop wants to get rid of the remaining few pieces asap.

I've read people had a lot of problems with the pumps in H220 and there were some serious QC issues like debris in the coolant etc. Is it true?
Yes, but those were the early revisions. All of that has been taken care of a long time ago.
Swiftech still has excellent customer service in case you should have a problem though.

What about H90? It seems super silent and gives pretty good performance as well if one's not going for 4,8 GhZ at 1,3k mv.

Ok! Thanks, Scott! I'm gonna call the retail shop tomorrow and ask them abou these H220s. They're supposed to be a pro cooling company here in my country.

Got the Swiftech H220, gonna get it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Hope it works and I can barely hear my beast hum :D

Will post the results after. Btw, what's the best software to check the temps? Prime95 + hwinfo / open hardware monitor ?

I've ran Prime95 in blend mode with real temp on on my BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3.

Got scared when temps went above 80 degree celsius, stopped the test.
I wonder why it's so high. I'm afraid the guys who pre-assembled part of my PC
(case, mobo, CPU and cooling, yeh I know I'm lazy, never ever again) used some
**** CPU thermal paste and kept the good stuff BQ provides in the set for
themselves. Luckily I've still got some Noctua paste left.

2zdnaxt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CPU will start to throttle itself at 90C so you were fine.

Crap paste vs the best paste... the difference between them is like 2-3C. Its not that if there is a problem.

Thanks EarthDog. BQ Dark Rock Pro 3 isn't the most efficient air cooling out there, unfortunately.

Maybe they've put too much paste on the CPU, seen that stuff increase temps for as much as 8-10 degree. I've made the same mistake
when I was refurbishing my old graphics card for my mom's PC - used too much paste and the temps were much higher than before cleaning.
Went back, cleaned the whole thing thoroughly, put just a minimal amount and distributed it very thoroughly and evenly and temps
dropped like 5-6 degrees compared to before cleaning.

Anyway, I'll know in 1-2 days when I disassemble the whole thing to install water cooling.

Back