• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please note you are only bidding on a picture of a PS3, and not an actual system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lionsault_100 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStatio...781QQihZ019QQcategoryZ187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there are many like it on ebay, but $900, does the high bidder have any recourse or is it tough luck ? THe auction says very clearly that its a pic.

I could see that there is some middle ground since a picture cant have a 60gb hard drive

It's amazing what people will do.. I bet the people who placed bids did not even bother to read up on it first.. See, look.. Drool and bid... lol

I think that seller is slime, first off. And secondly, I'm amazed at the people that bid on this thing. It wasn't just noobs with 0-2 feedback...it's people with 90+ feedback...and some with much higher. They are morons.

But still, I hope they get their money back because this listing is obviously misleading.

EDIT: another thing to look at is the seller's feedback. Evey though he has many good positives, the bad ones are pretty bad. From talk of Criminal charges and warezed copies of software. Why don't people look at feedback? :shrug:

Yes they should get a refund upon request..

In ways, I am unable to put into words, the whole thing looks misleading. but yet it don't.. I think it's all in the way the seller worded the add that threw everyone off.

IMO the seller is a scumbag, had he not listed the sentence stating its a picture at the bottom in the same font and size as the actual PS3 specs and description, it wouldn't be so bad and the moron buyers would see that they are buying a picture. Or this seller could have posted a picture of the 'picture' for sale and not a stock file footage of a PS3

Some buyers are just stupic and sellers like this cater to them.

Edit, PS this buyers that bid $900 has a handicap, his first language is obviously not English, this is probably how he got duped.

Attachments

• ps3.jpg
    ps3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
While I'll agree what the seller is doing is wrong, I still have no sympathy for the people that fall for it. If you're too stupid to read and understand the listing tough luck. Your winning bid is now a contract which you need to honor.

So say you went out and bought a used car and took it home and found out a week later that the seller put some super heavyweight oil in it to block the horrible knock it had. Or maybe temporarily sealed an engine block crack with sodium silicate? Maybe put some duct tape over the big hole in the exhaust? You get what I'm saying.

Well wouldn't you be upset to find out that you weren't sold what you thought you had? Sure, you didn't ask if those things were there, and maybe didn't check. But should you have to check major things like that? These are things that the seller should almost be required to note. And at least morally required to note.

jivetrky said:
So say you went out and bought a used car and took it home and found out a week later that the seller put some super heavyweight oil in it to block the horrible knock it had. Or maybe temporarily sealed an engine block crack with sodium silicate? Maybe put some duct tape over the big hole in the exhaust? You get what I'm saying.

Well wouldn't you be upset to find out that you weren't sold what you thought you had? Sure, you didn't ask if those things were there, and maybe didn't check. But should you have to check major things like that? These are things that the seller should almost be required to note. And at least morally required to note.

You are quite right that there should be sellers requirements as well as moral standards so that the consumers biding on the item are protected from false adds and such..

But,, there is the responsibility of the buyer to read the add and to fully understand what he\she is buying or biding on. I personally would never buy something without first being sure that what I am buying or bidding on is in fact the exact true item and would go as far as ask questions before making the bid or payment for the item.

The seller of this item is wrong in what he\she is doing in the sense that they are trying to get bids from people on an item's photo. I think timing had a lot to do with this whole thing because they set this whole thing up for bid right when the new PS3 came out for sale knowing that demand for the item right before Christmas would be in high demand.

A simple word for these kind of people would be.. scammers..

We all know it's wrong and we also know there are people who are gullible.. It's sad to think this goes on in our world.

I just hope the people of eBay do justice by everyone....

jivetrky said:

Well here the seller noted that, he is saying that he is selling a picture of a product not the product itself.

P.S. Im not defending the guy, as I think the guy is a scumbag but the people who bid on that item are morons as they didnt even bother to read what the scumbag posted.

Legally, would the buyer have any recourse if the seller has already cashed the funds? This seems like a contract to me -

the only thing is that a picture cant have a 60 gb hard drive, thats what i think will anger a judge, a picture cant have specs that he stated

Outside of that, don't doubt that every sucker (i mean person) who bidded on this didn't receive a second chance offer.

well, technically you aren't bidding on a picture with those specs, but a picture of something with those specs.

One thing I noticed was that the little disclaimer of "Please Note that you are bidding on a picture of a PS3 and not the actual system"
Is located within the section of "PS3 60GB Console Specs:"

So really, you could say that the person was trying to hide that fact within the specs listing(as obviously they were).

Would be nice if someone could look around eBay's policies and see if this is against the rules anywhere. I looked breifly but didn't see anything, but I didn't do a very good job either. Anyone up to the task? :)

Imo this would fall under fraud, because the auction isnt obvious and he tries to hide the fact that he is selling a picture .

Lionsault_100 said:
Legally, would the buyer have any recourse if the seller has already cashed the funds? This seems like a contract to me -

the only thing is that a picture cant have a 60 gb hard drive, thats what i think will anger a judge, a picture cant have specs that he stated

Outside of that, don't doubt that every sucker (i mean person) who bidded on this didn't receive a second chance offer.

It looks as if the buyer protected him\herself by saying, "Please Note that you are bidding on a picture of a PS3 and not the actual system"

Outside of that I don't see any resolve other than eBay taking a moral stance and say it's wrong, fraud

damarble said:
I still have no sympathy for the people that fall for it. If you're too stupid to read and understand the listing tough luck.

Look at the buyers feedback and you will notice he may not speak english and perhaps had trouble understanding what he was buying. Yes his bid is a binding contract, but I do feel sympathy for him.

jivetrky said:
well, technically you aren't bidding on a picture with those specs, but a picture of something with those specs.

One thing I noticed was that the little disclaimer of "Please Note that you are bidding on a picture of a PS3 and not the actual system"
Is located within the section of "PS3 60GB Console Specs:"

So really, you could say that the person was trying to hide that fact within the specs listing(as obviously they were).

Would be nice if someone could look around eBay's policies and see if this is against the rules anywhere. I looked breifly but didn't see anything, but I didn't do a very good job either. Anyone up to the task? :)

I agree, I wrote something similar in my earlier post

PS, If anyone made a listing like that here, they would be thrown out of the Classifieds so fast they would get whiplash

Silversinksam said:
Look at the buyers feedback and you will notice he may not speak english and perhaps had trouble understanding what he was buying. Yes his bid is a binding contract, but I do feel sympathy for him.

PS, If anyone made a listing like that here, they would be thrown out of the Classifieds so fast they would get whiplash

Yeah, I guess that pretty much was your post earlier...

/me gives self custom title of "Captain Redudancy" :D

Silversinksam said:

why would you enter an agreement in a language you arn't familiar with especially one that expensive?

Personally I think that if this was in the photography section, the buyers would be completely screwed, but i think a buyer that goes through a section thats for consoles, theres should be nothing there except for consoles.

jivetrky said:

Your analogy falls short. In your case the seller wilfully concealed the defect. The PS3 picture seller plainly stated his intent. That is akin to the car seller hiding all the defects then telling you about them right before you agree to terms. In both instances you can walk away when the red flag comes up.

Silversinksam said:

Even if that's the case my opinion remains unchanged. If you can't understand the language of the contract you should seek the help of somebody that does, or walk away. Again, ignorance is not an excuse.

Last edited:
There wer eothers liek this on ebay when PS3 was released what they do is put all the same stuff up pictures of ps3 specs etc make it look all professional.

And as you read down through the myriad of text it eventually says "You are bidding on me telling you where to buy a PS3 for 300$"

Buy it now for 200$, so what your paying for is this dodgey ******* sending you the web address of somewhere that sells a ps3 for the price he claims, and you only need to pay 200$ to find it out.

Im amazed Ebay lets this crap stay up there for so long.

Back