• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply for HD3850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpapag

What power supply should I get for the following setup:

Athlon XP 2500 mobile barton overclocked to 2.4Ghz
Abit NF7s v1.2
2x1 GB OZC PC3200
HD3850 AGP 512MB

I found what ati lists as power supplies that will work for the HD3850 here:

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop

I currently have an enermax 350w EG 365P-VE that is not on the list.

Output: +3.3V @ 32A; +5V @ 32A; +12V1 @ 26A; -12V @ 1A; +5VSB@ 2.2A

Do I need to upgrade? If so, is the Corsair HX520W 520W the way to go?

What power supply should I get for the following setup:

Athlon XP 2500 mobile barton overclocked to 2.4Ghz
Abit NF7s v1.2
2x1 GB OZC PC3200
HD3850 AGP 512MB

I found what ati lists as power supplies that will work for the HD3850 here:

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop

I currently have an enermax 350w EG 365P-VE that is not on the list.

Output: +3.3V @ 32A; +5V @ 32A; +12V1 @ 26A; -12V @ 1A; +5VSB@ 2.2A

Do I need to upgrade? If so, is the Corsair HX520W 520W the way to go?

DP,

Corsair 400CX 400w or VX450 will do it easily for a single 3850 unless you're set on a modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I would dare to say your are OK with that PSU , as long as u have an 8 pin connector, but if its old it be better to get a new one just in case .

I would dare to say your are OK with that PSU , as long as u have an 8 pin connector, but if its old it be better to get a new one just in case .

Charlie,

I think the 3850 and 3870 are 6 pin PCIe connector?

Alot of AGP versions have 8 pin plugs , this is because AGP slot can't deliver enought to the card , 6 pin does 75 watts , when 8 pin does 150 watts , power requirements of the card is 95 watts maximum ( it is alot less , but i think thats an official number ) . But i also think it might work with 6 pin , am not however very sure of that .But yes there were also cards with 6 pin plugs .

Last edited:
Alot of AGP versions have 8 pin plugs , this is because AGP slot can't deliver enought to the card , 6 pin does 75 watts , when 8 pin does 150 watts , power requirements of the card is 95 watts maximum ( it is alot less , but i think thats an official number ) . But i also think it might work with 6 pin , am not however very sure of that .

Charlie,

You're correct. The AGP versions seem to be mixed 6 pin and 8 pin depending on the brand.

The vid card has an 8 pin female which attaches to the card itself, and it has two white 4 pin molex connectors to attach to the power supply. (only 3 pins are present in each)

Vid Card

The 350w enermax that I have looks like this (one on the right)

cables.jpg

Which line should I hook the vid card to? The second set of wires from the left, or does it not matter? I think the 2nd to last set of wires from the right has an 8 pin on it. Does that go directly to the vid card instead of using the supplied 8pin-molex adapter?

Use a native 8 pin if you have one , most manufactures have dedicated rail for the PCI-e connector.

DP,

Corsair 400CX 400w or VX450 will do it easily for a single 3850 unless you're set on a modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I picked up that Corsair for $40.
Looking at the specs it has a single 12v rail that puts out 30a

It also has the PCIe adapter that is a 6 pin, but it doesn't say how many amps is on that rail. I'm guessing 16-18? I have a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter.

Which method of hook up is more stable?

1. Use the 6 to 8 pin PCIe adapter and hook the card up that way.
2. Use the HD3850 enclosed 8 pin to (two) 4 pin molex adapter, but only hook up one of the 4 pin molex to the 12v rail, as that should be plenty and the power supply only has a single 12v rail @ 30a.

I'd like to use option 1, as that will leave me with more 4 pin molex connectors which I need for my case fans. I can go with option 2, but then I'll have to use these: HERE to get the fans to work.

Thanks. Vid card seems to be working fine. The mobo has a 20 pin ATXPWR1 connector and a 4 pin ATX12V1. Manual says that general designed ATX power supplies do not have a ATX12V1 connector provided, so there's no need to connect anything to the ATX12c1 connector.

I currently have just the 20 pin from the mobo plugged into the Corsair PSU using the adapter and it seems to be working fine. Being that the PSU DOES have a 4 pin connector, do I need to plug that into the ATX12V1 slot on the mobo as well? The last gauge on MBM 5 is showing 3.55v for the -5v gauge! What does that mean? All the other voltages appear to be fine.

Take no notice of the -5 reading. Most software gets this wrong. You should plug the 4-pin lead into the ATX12V1 slot, This normally gives your CPU a more stable power supply.

Back