• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott and L1 cache problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Krowa 02 said:
Dont play the "Wait until it matures" games. What did we say about the p4 when it first came out? Wait. I never considered buying a P4 until the 800 fsb chips came out, and I finally just got one. Now we have to go through the same crap over again? Plus the new socket comming out, I doubt 478 is going to be around any longer.

I like the p4 now more than I ever did, but to tell you the truth I like the newer ones or the ones running at 3ghz or so. Why should we have to wait for it to mature, the product should be matured and be as good as it is intended to be when it comes out.
Krowa, part of the reason that people wait is because the CPU steppings improve over time. Yes, the CPUs from the beginning can run fine at their rated speed. A 2.4 will run at 2.4 for the entire run of its production life. It's really when it comes to overclocking that waiting can play an important role. This is because as they make higher and higher speed chips, they tend to make older chips off these new higher-capable speed chips. They just rate them slower so that they can still sell these older ones. Often times enough, they can be overclocked to run just as fast as the newest chips out (or nearly so) and so it makes waiting valuable. I hope this clears up why people would wait for it to mature, and you realize they arent actually dumb.

Flakk said:

Krowa, part of the reason that people wait is because the CPU steppings improve over time. Yes, the CPUs from the beginning can run fine at their rated speed. A 2.4 will run at 2.4 for the entire run of its production life. It's really when it comes to overclocking that waiting can play an important role. This is because as they make higher and higher speed chips, they tend to make older chips off these new higher-capable speed chips. They just rate them slower so that they can still sell these older ones. Often times enough, they can be overclocked to run just as fast as the newest chips out (or nearly so) and so it makes waiting valuable. I hope this clears up why people would wait for it to mature, and you realize they arent actually dumb.

Please read the entire post, then make a statement.

Why should we have to wait for it to mature, the product should be matured and be as good as it is intended to be when it comes out.

I was basically saying, dont play the waiting game excuse for its poor performance now, incase I was so unclear.

We shouldnt have to wait and wait for this cpu to mature, if Intel really was such a great company they could have gotten the prescott to be better than the p4, not a step down at first and then wait a long *** time.

Krowa 02 said:

Please read the entire post, then make a statement.

I was basically saying, dont play the waiting game excuse for its poor performance now, incase I was so unclear.

We shouldnt have to wait and wait for this cpu to mature, if Intel really was such a great company they could have gotten the prescott to be better than the p4, not a step down at first and then wait a long *** time.
i did read your whole post, thank you for assuming I didnt. And i do get what you mean. i'm just saying, if you're smart you will wait. it doesn't matter what you expect it SHOULD do... it's what it DOES do that matters. And what happens to be the case is that waiting allows it to improve. Sure it sucks, but its how intel works. You know this so you dont have to fall for their "fake" upgrade (as you would call it-- and others would disagree).

Regardless of the staggered approach intel has to CPU performance increases, they still, in a long term glance are a steady upwards path of performance. One just has to wait a bit sometimes (with the releases of new chips). At least we-- most of this forum community-- are forunate enough to understand this and can purchase accordingly.

If you want to look at it differently, Intel could have just as easily waited even longer until the Prescott performance did actually show a significant improvment over current Northwood P4's (assuming they dont already.. we dont fully know yet), and THEN release it. Would you be happier with this approach? i'm guessing you would be, since the new chips would actually be an upgrade... but as long as you know how these things work, which you clearly do, you dont have to worry-- you have the power to wait for a worthwhile upgrade. :)

Last edited:
dropadrop said:

He works for intel. ;)

Fugger does not work for intel. he is an IPD. intel product developer, I signed up and am in the program too for the last 6 months.

Tons of info i have no clue about on the IPD website. But i signed up to score demo chips cheap. Im so ashamed!!!!:(

But i've never seen any bad info come from Fugger

Back