• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott - E or 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
Is there any reason not to get a 775 prescott

I need a new board too but NO GAMING will be done on this computer so I can stich with 865 / 875 ... but which cpu, E or 775 ... they both are SSE3. At clock per clock which one is the better performer

On a side note, anyone can first hand recommend which 865 / 875

DFI makes a 875 and Abit, Asus, Msi, and Soltek make a 865pe ... I have only found a couple reviews on these boards

If you need to buy new RAM from scratch as well I would get a LGA775 board, a basic PCI-E VGA card and DDR2. But if you only need to upgrade the CPU and mainboard a nice i875P and E-CPU will do just as nicely. Prescott-overclocking-wise the LGA775 boards have beefier power regulators and slightly better cooling options...

Well, 775 is more future proof as you can easily put a new CPU in later down the road. If you get a PCI-Express board, you can but a cheapo ATi X300 in or something, but in the future when there isn't any more AGP cards and you do want to game, you could upgrade the card. See what I mean?

A S478 system would be much cheaper for now, but if you go with a S775 system, it will be more future proof as in the ability to upgrade to new stuff later on down the road.

I've had two socket 478 Prescotts now and two LGA775 Prescotts, so I will tell you the 775 is the better route to go if you want a Prescott (like what Lancelot said). But, they are the same exact core, so the processors will perform the same. The 775 will give you a better upgrade path (like @MD said) and overclock higher on air (on average). If you get the Abit AG8 mobo, then you can use regular DDR RAM, although you will need to buy a PCI-E vid card. If you are not a gamer, then you can just get any cheapie vid card.

yeah they are the same core, and i don't know if the extra pins makes much of a difference, but i do knoow that the 775 chips will be more future-proof and should perform a little better than a same-clock 478.

i'm not an intel user though, so i don't really know.

Back