• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem when adding anything more than 4Gb of RAM to Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Startingline13

Registered
It's been a while guys, but here goes:

I recently purchased two additional sticks of ram on top of what I currently have.

Here is what I am using: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277. Here is what I purchased and tried installing today: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277. A bit slower, I understand.

My motherboard is this: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398 and I have more than enough power to it using this: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188.

When I have either of the two sets of ram installed in the first two slots, the computer turns on fine. I've swapped them both out and it's ok, so I know that both sets of ram are working correctly. However, when I go to add anything more (6 or 8 gigs total) I cannot turn the computer on. The cpu fan doesn't spin, and the computer won't boot.

I've seen on the Newegg recommendations that others have had similar issues, but I haven't been able to find a solution. My bios is up to date, and I have fiddled with any settings. Can any of you offer any suggestions?

:welcome: to OCF!

If it were me I'd try this:

Install the pair of 1600 RAM sticks
Enter BIOS and manually set the speed to 1333 and timings to 9-9-9-24-2T
Set RAM voltage to 1.55v (or the first option higher than 1.55v if it isn't an option.)
Reboot and check with CPU-Z to make sure those settings have been used and that you're running in dual channel mode.

Install the 1333 sticks, enter BIOS and make the same manual settings for those sticks as well.

:welcome: to OCF!

If it were me I'd try this:

Install the pair of 1600 RAM sticks
Enter BIOS and manually set the speed to 1333 and timings to 9-9-9-24-2T
Set RAM voltage to 1.55v (or the first option higher than 1.55v if it isn't an option.)
Reboot and check with CPU-Z to make sure those settings have been used and that you're running in dual channel mode.

Install the 1333 sticks, enter BIOS and make the same manual settings for those sticks as well.

Entered the BIOS and went to make those changes, only to notice that the speed was already set to 1333 and 9-9-9-24-2t by default, with the first set of 1666 sticks in. CPU-Z confirms that RAM is in dual channel mode, and that all of my settings have been made as well.

I've made those changes but still receive the same issue :(. Perhaps its a shortcoming with the motherbord?
I also bumped up the voltage to the ram and NB for the CPU just slightly.

Upon looking at some user reviews from Newegg:

Pros: Works well with 4 GB memory--stable with no issues.

Cons: Not up to supporting 8GB memory with 64bit operating system. This board is advertised as supporting up to 16GB memory but based on my experience I really doubt it. I initially built it with 4 GB of G.SKill memory and Windows XP x32 and it worked fine. I upgraded to WIN7 x64 and 8 GB of memory and the problems started-BSOD. This was with no OC and stock settings. G.Skill suggested changing memory timing and it worked for a couple of days. Gigabyte support suggested increaing North Bridge voltage and it worked for a couple of days and then wouldn't boot at all. Removing 4 GB of memory solved problem with stock settings.

Pros: Easy to install, setup, when it runs, it runs really well.

Cons: I bought this MB and installed it, it took a couple restarts to get it to fully power on cold but it finally did. I ran great for a while, then I tried to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, bought the exact same RAM. After I installed it, it ran great for about an hour then I got the blue screen of death. From there when i restarted I got a number of error messages, and another blue screen, and another, and another. I reinstalled the OS (Windows 7 PRo 64x), with the 8GB I still got the blue screen. I took out the newest 4, ran it again. Again it crashed, I restarted and restarted about 4 times and it worked, no crashes. After updating the BIOS I tried again for the 8GB and again, it crashed. Now I can't shut down the computer or else when I restart it, I'll get an error and it will take 4 more restarts to get it running smooth again. I haven't contacted Gigabyte yet but I'm hoping to get a warranty replacement.

Other Thoughts: Don't buy this board if you plan to install more than 4 GB of memory

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But then another guys says:
Pros: This Mobo is Running Win 7 64 bit with phenom II 955 x4, 8GB Ram and 9500GT. Installation of Win 7 was a breeze and have no problems since installing.

Cons: None apart from the fact the wife could do with one

ram1.png

Ram2.jpg

Ram3.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be a bios bug to me. Do you have the latest bios version installed?

Have you tried mixing a set to make up 4gb and or have you tried to install 1 stick in first ram slot and then use the second stick in the third slot and then tried 1 and 4 slot ? I guess what I would want to know is do the ram slots on the board even work .

Then I want to know if 1 2gb new and 1 2gb old work together in all those combos.

I know that if I put either of the sets of ram into slots 1 & 2 ( those which are closer to the CPU), that the computer will not boot. I assumed that it they had to be inserted into slots 3 & 4 before I could add anything to 1 & 2, as I only had one set of ram at the time.

I'll try the other suggestions this evening and let you know how it goes.

That's what I was fearing.... :(

I bought it a year ago, although haven't used it much. I have a 3 year parts and labor warranty though, so I should be ok.

I know that if I put either of the sets of ram into slots 1 & 2 ( those which are closer to the CPU), that the computer will not boot. I assumed that it they had to be inserted into slots 3 & 4 before I could add anything to 1 & 2, as I only had one set of ram at the time.

I'll try the other suggestions this evening and let you know how it goes.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm just now encountering a similar problem. I can use three slots, up to 12gb, but adding a stick to the 4th results in a no-post situation.

Were you ever able to resolve this?

acrididae; I doubt you get any response to your question. The OP "Startingline13" never even responded if he did RMA the motherboard, so I doubt very seriously if he will respond to your question. In most cases it is very foolish to try and resurrect a thread that is over a year old and that ended without saying [RESOLVED] being added to the thread titled. Which means no answer was ever likely given.

Old threads are better left alone and a new thread started in the correct forum section. Your situation might do as well in the Memory forum section. Or a new thread might do well here in the Mobo section. You will seldom get a response to a post that is a year old when you ask "did you get situation resolved?".

I am only answering to advise you will get no answer and if you have a problem yourself, then you need to start your own thread for much response. Just the way of forums in general.

Back