• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with booting up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

I was trying to reinstall windows on a hard disk I receive an error code when I try to install windows xp on hard disk. I had Linux mint on 1 hdd and win xp on another and something went wrong with all the hdd all together. So
I decided to fresh install win xp on 1 drive in ahci mode.

I receive the usual messages Make sure no shadowing in the bios
Make sure adaquate room on hdd
then the techncal information

Stop:0x0000007E etc.

this error code
HTML:
*** pci.sys -Address F748E 0BF base at F74870001 Date stamp 3b7d855c

If the hard drive is a SATA drive you will need to install SATA drives at the front end of the XP install when you are prompted with something like "If you need to install additional devices, press F6 now". Then you must have the RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy drive ready to insert and read. XP does not come with native SATA drivers whereas Linux does.

Was the drive by any chance used in a RAID configuration?

yes it was, can I use a usb stick to install the driver ?
If only 1 hdd drive you still need to use raid driver ?

No, you need to remove he RAID "meta data" residing on the drive's boot sector. The drive will not be recognized by the OS in a non-RAID usage until you do. You might be able to use it if you configure SATA to RAID in bios but you will get a very annoying error messages with every boot and if you have something like AMD "RAIDXpert" installed you will get constant warning messages in Windows that the RAID is broken.

There is a way to remove the meta data in Linux terminal and I have done that several years ago but I don't remember the commands. You might find it on the web. I think you can also do it with a low level format of the drive but that is a pretty slow, time consuming process.

Thank you It wasnt the Mother board it is the win xp disk that is bad. I tried a disk with another ubuntu and is working fine.

Back