• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem With New Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

I have built a new computer using these components below. I have installed XP Pro and using the latest motherboard/video card drivers from Nvidia. Here’s my problem. After windows has been installed and all the drivers and software have been added, the computer will reboot a number of times due to software asking for the system to reboot as this is normal. The computer will run AOK until I shut it down over night. It’s when I reboot the computer the computer the next morning is when the trouble begins. The computer will always reboot to the screen that gives me all the options of safe mode, safe mode with network, etc. When I try to reboot into the windows the computer will show the XP Pro splash screen but will never boot into windows. The monitor has a video signal and the curser will appear on the screen and I can move the cursor on the desktop, but the system has not booted into windows. When I select to boot into safe mode the computer will boot into windows.

Anybody have a clue as to what is wrong?

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor
XFX PVT73GUGD3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit
2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W
LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive
Atech Flash Xm-4U 11-in-1 USB 2.0 Black

Sounds like a corrupted Windows install. If this is new I would just start from scratch and format again.

You might try running CPU, RAM, and HD tests first though if it is just a simple device failing.

ErikD said:
Sounds like a corrupted Windows install. If this is new I would just start from scratch and format again.

You might try running CPU, RAM, and HD tests first though if it is just a simple device failing.

I have reformatted the computer and reinstalled windows, drivers, and software 4 times with the same results. The last install is with the motherboard drivers from the enclosed CD and not from Nvidia. I will run it this way for a day or two before installing any other software.

Back