• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Remote Management of HyperV 2012 Core Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goose90proof

Greetings, I am having some strange issues with HyperV 2012 Core and would appreciate some help. I have 2 servers (HyperV1 & HyperV2) that I want to manage remotely through a workgroup, using both a Windows 8 tablet and a Windows 7 desktop. I followed the instructions here[1] to set up the servers for remote management and it worked for 1 of my 2 servers. I can connect using Hyper-V Manager, MMC snap-ins, and powershell remotely on both Win 7 & 8. Here's where things get funky...

There are no problems with HyperV1.

On Windows 7, I can only connect to HyperV2 using MMC snap-ins, powershell or RDP. I cannot connect with Hyper-V Manager. It states:

Code:
You do not have the required permission to complete this task. Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer 'HyperV2'.

On Windows 8, I can connect to HyperV2 using HyperV Manager, MMC snap-ins and remote powershell, or RDP, but I can NOT connect with Server Manager. It gives me this error in Manageability:

Code:
WinRM Negotiate authentication error

Facts:
  • The servers have static IP's (added to my host files just for good measure)
  • Windows credentials for the remote vm's are locally stored on both client PCs
  • Remote user has full Hyper-V Admin privileges
  • DCOM anonymous remote logon is enabled
  • Firewall is wide open for Hyper-V WMI on both servers

Are either of the servers DC's? Are both servers on the same subnet? Have you tried disabling UAC on the computers you're trying to connect with?

DC's? They're on the same subnet. Have not tried disabling UAC. I ended up just going back to ESXi. Too much trouble :/

DC = Domain Controller. In other words, do you have them set up in a "parent" "child" relationship where one is the Active Directory Domain Controller and the other is a "trusted" server on the domain? If they're not joined to the same domain AND the secondary server is "trusted" then there are going to be problems. UAC has been known to cause problems on the client computers that you're trying to use to manage the servers.

Read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754803.aspx
and this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771415.aspx

Not running on a domain, just in a workgroup. Does NAP only apply to computers operating within a domain? That's kinda what it sounds like.

Back