• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Cold Reality Take 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

So, it's been a long time since I've posted. Never did finish my build log...oops. So, here's the thing. Now that I've got my computer built, was happy with it, used it for a year, it came time for me to move to Germany. Now, post drain, I decided to check the water block on my CPU. This is the result. It looks to me like some kind of corrosion. I would like to know if this is still good to go, if I should clean it, what the best solvent would be, or just cut my losses. Thank you for your time, as always.

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_221656_543.jpg
    IMG_20140615_221656_543.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20140615_221816_059.jpg
    IMG_20140615_221816_059.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 92
were you using a dye in the liquid? looks like normal build up for dyed water.

i soak my blocks in straight vinegar for 10 minutes and clean with a tooth brush. ketchup will also work good as RnRollie said as it's got vinegar and salt to work at cleaning. if it's really stubborn then lightly with a brass brush.

if it is the color of your coolant clean it out real good and use distilled water, a kill coil and %25 zerex G-05 antifreeze, it has a gold tone to it and you can tell the wife that you did someting nasty to the cooling system as a boicide and she'll never talk to you again, or you could just get tube in the color you like.

Here's the kicker. I am not using any dies. I was using distilled water and PHNuke. I will try vinegar and a toothbrush. Thank you!

I don't thing that looks to be corrosive but gunk build up. Don't look like algae to me either. What kind of tubing were you using? Could be plasticize build up over time.

I myself seem to have an issue. I just drained and refilled the loop, looking at a few spots I thought I might have a clog but looked all clear. The pumps @ 100% aren't moving the fluid as fast as they used too not to mention going from 1.0 GPM to 0.0. I also have to take the time and rip the system apart and take a look in the pumps and blocks. Me thinks I got debris in the channels of my blocks.

Here's the kicker. I am not using any dies. I was using distilled water and PHNuke. I will try vinegar and a toothbrush. Thank you!

The Hydro Copper are Swiftech GPU blocks, as far as i recall these are not nickel plated. (but i might be wrong)

Is that a (nickel plated) Koolance 370/380 you're showing?

It looks a bit blue-greenish (to me), it could be PT having a mild reaction with some residue in the rads/hydro's. Ketchup should clear it up nicely

The "debris" however is hose/tubing "falling apart"... inevitable... even the best grade hose will eventually "leech" a bit.

The only way to avoid issues like that is to use blocks & fittings & rigid tubing made out of UnObtainium... :)

I am using Promochill tubing, and I'll have to check the water block again. I thought when I did this build, I made sure to check one of the charts for the possibility of corrosion. In fact, I'm sure I did. I know the forums here preach that enough. Either way, I'll double check. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how the cleaning works!

Is that their newer advanced version or their older tubing? I believe its called PRO LRT.

Back