• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project FlameCube

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
violineb said:
Beautiful work, can you make a list of all the components and how much it cost? case, mobo, cpu (what cpu is it?), and lastly LCD screen.

- Commell LV-670LVDS = $249
- Casetronic C138 = $161
- P4 2.4c = $100
- 512MB PC3200 DDR = traded for it
- 40gb laptop Hard drive = $125
- Laptop HDD 44-pin cable = $6
- Laptop DVD-ROM = $55?
- Laptop DVD adapter = $9
- Dynatron DC1207BM-X = $20
- 5.6" LCD = $125
- lots of RED LEDs = $10
- Acrylic = $7
- polycarbonate = $12
- Spiral wrap = $4
- binding posts, plastic mesh filter, heatshrink, etc. = $10
- aluminum tape = $6
- Transparencies = $3
- 40+ hours of labor
Total = I'm not building one for anybody, unless they pay me alot.

And as requested here's the video of the lid operating (700kb)

Last edited:
toshiba said:
wat would u pay to make someone have u build one of those keboards..heh im not getting ideas ! err....eeehh.er...
I will be doing more research and design on the keyless keyboard concept and as soon as I have something to report I'll start a thread about it. I've already had a number of people express interest in either having me build them one, or how to build their own.
If I could source enough donor keyboards and determine an effective, yet efficient retention method I could start making them in bulk while still refining it's mechanics to a more functional state.

Captain Slug said:

I will be doing more research and design on the keyless keyboard concept and as soon as I have something to report I'll start a thread about it. I've already had a number of people express interest in either having me build them one, or how to build their own.
If I could source enough donor keyboards and determine an effective, yet efficient retention method I could start making them in bulk while still refining it's mechanics to a more functional state.

Too bad American Express is no longer giving away keyboard smartcard readers.

Captain Slug, that box kicks 4R$3! And that slick keyboard cries out to me as one of the neatest, most original mods I've seen in a long time. A great mod that came together with precision and added flare to a component that we rarely see altered in any spectacular way. Kudos.

I just got back from Katsucon and wow! :eek: I got to see the FlameCube in action. :D Very nice all together, though it would be nice if you could have put a bigger screen in it. :p

Alexia said:
I just got back from Katsucon and wow! :eek: I got to see the FlameCube in action. :D Very nice all together, though it would be nice if you could have put a bigger screen in it. :p
Thanks
The one I have barely fits into the lid enclosure. I had considered larger screens, but they would have required a less graceful mechanism.

Last edited:
I think under the circumstances, we wouldn't mind being tortured, unless it was all a tease and you will never build it. we wouldn't like that at all. go on... [prods]

Smirabi said:
I think under the circumstances, we wouldn't mind being tortured, unless it was all a tease and you will never build it. we wouldn't like that at all. go on... [prods]
I've found a few manufacturers that make 3.5" IPC motherboards running 1.6ghz Mobile Pentium 4s and with an add-on board it would be possible to build a 6 x 6 x 4 inch cube machine that's just as functional as mine.
Although it wouldn't have as much processing power or hyper-threading, it would still be a fun project that would require a completely custom enclosure. I'm going to put forth a little effort in researching it and I'll eventually get around to contacting the manufacturer. Someone who recommended them to me appearantly got a really good deal on the board he wanted to use for a project.

Who knows...

Oh boy......what's next? Computer inside of an original gameboy? Hmm, that would be a tight fit. But a 3.5" mobo? That sounds a bit small. Question for you Captain. What's the smallest board with an AGP slot?

Oh and I think I might have a keyboard sitting around which I could donate.

Captain Slug does it again.

By my calculations you have about $1800+ worth of materials and labor in this project :D

Mark620 said:
By my calculations you have about $1800+ worth of materials and labor in this project :D
Yep. All parts tallied the material cost is around $1200. But that would be if I didn't trade, feneggle, or negotiate on the prices.
:D
My cost was closer to $750 for various reasons.
violineb said:
Oh boy......what's next? Computer inside of an original gameboy?
Possible, but it wouldn't be very powerful.

violineb said:
Question for you Captain. What's the smallest board with an AGP slot?
From what I've seen, the Freetech P8F155 is the smallest board available with standard stand-off locations. It has essentially all the same features as the board I'm using but measures 7.2" x 8" and would fit nicely in a Casetronic/Travla C137.

Just a thought, and I'm not for this, but it seems like that keyboard you made could be the next type of keyboard that hardware makers put out? It might be a good idea to get a patent, just in case. Imagine having Logitech on its knees...

Back