• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Genesis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulfly1448

I wanted to do a NES mod but so many people have done that, not to mention I didno't have a NES as a child. I did however have a Genesis, the first version, so I decided that would do.

I didn't take pictures while building it so you get only the end.

Assembled front

I opted to mount it up on a SegaCD as well, give me some wiggle room inside. The power button slides to the right to turn it on via spring loaded momentary switch (salvaged from a NES shell I had lying around, blasphemy!). The reset button works. The volume control is just for show.

Assembled rear

Wanted to keep it looking as stock as possible so I gutted the innards for the Genesis and mounted the connections back in. On the SegaCD I cut out the panel for the original connections and built my own interface using a piece of the shell I cut off.

A shot of the innards

I cut the bottom of the Genesis out along with the top of the SegaCD. Made mounting pegs for the motherboard out of some 1/4" nylon rod. Used a bay adapter to mount the SSD (I put them in everything). In the upper left corner you can see the old connectors that I salvaged from the original board.

USB to Genesis controller adapter. Works for playing games, and adding to the "stock" value.

And, on!

Had to keep the red power LED on the Genesis. I didn't want to leave the SegaCD dark so the Ready light acts as a power light as well while the Access acts as the SSD activity light.

Quick specs:

Asrock E350M1 Mini-ITX board.
Adata Premier Pro 32GB SSD
G.Skill 4GB DDR3

Fun little build. It will be residing in the guest bedroom/game room as a Netflix machine/emulator.

Nicely done, I love that you decided to go with the genesis. It is also what I grew up with :). NES came later for me lol

Back